RROD Fix.. a completely new way to do it.. for free!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Stealth-patriot
Stealth-patriot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#1 Stealth-patriot
Member since 2008 • 37 Posts

Okay so i was fiddling around with an old xbox in my closet today and found a tremendous way to fix it without too much trouble but beware if you have a warentee or dont know much about taking stuff apart. So this is how i did it...

1. I took the xbox apart, and took everything off of the xbox motherboard. Take everything off of it, the fan duct, the fans, and the disk drive. put the power chip back into the front though however, because you will need to use it soon.

2. Plug it into your tv... turn the xbox on with a controller or the power button, u can use a nail, or something else to press the button, as it is very small and your fingers probably cant get to it. When you turn it on, a few different things could happen. It may bring up the dashboard, or may not, either way one thing is probably going to happen, the console will turn back off and 2 red lights will come up on the ring of light. Dont panic, its okay really.

Make sure to turn the xbox offbefore going further**

3.Now, plug in the fan (with the duct) and plug the disk drive back into the xbox. Turn your xbox 360 back on. the Dashboard will now come back up. Eject the disk drive with the small black button furthest to the top of the motherboard or console. That is the disk drive eject button. Put in a game, dvd, or music cd, and push the button again.

Finally, its done. That wasnt so hard, was it? If games, music and movies play, you have fixed it... but only temporary. If you dont have the patience to do that again, then dont play for long, because it will do it again and again, and mite get to the point of no return, but fear not because if you google red ring of death xbox 360 repair kit, and if you know somebody who can fix it with the kit, or if you can do it by following a guide, your xbox will be fixed permanently! I couldnt believe this worked. Lol i was just messin around and found out how to fix it by just unplugging and plugging stuff back up. BTW, the particular xbox i did this to was from 2006, so it was likely one of the first production line xboxs, so it might vary between model, but what the heck give it a try and see if you can fix it yourself!

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
that sounds like the worst idea i have ever heard, not only does it void your warranty but there are so many things that could go wrong
Stealth-patriot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Stealth-patriot

Haha, but if your desprate and have tried everything else, then you would surely appreciate this idea. I know alot of people who have given up on there xboxes. This is actually a really good idea, because my previous warrenty expired just before the xbox conked out, so yea, if you have tried every other thing likei have, it is actually a great idea. i was able to play half-life 2 for 3 hours before the xbox started glitching up, that gives you enough time to get a repair kit and whisper fans to fix the xbox permanantly, so really its a great idea. bub.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 chaoscougar1

Haha, but if your desprate and have tried everything else, then you would surely appreciate this idea. I know alot of people who have given up on there xboxes. This is actually a really good idea, because my previous warrenty expired just before the xbox conked out, so yea, if you have tried every other thing likei have, it is actually a great idea. i was able to play half-life 2 for 3 hours before the xbox started glitching up, that gives you enough time to get a repair kit and whisper fans to fix the xbox permanantly, so really its a great idea. bub.

Stealth-patriot
and extremely simple!!! wait no it isnt, its needlessly complicated
Stealth-patriot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Stealth-patriot

[QUOTE="Stealth-patriot"]

chaoscougar1

If your like me and are dying to play your xbox, you will do anything to bring it back to life!

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 chaoscougar1

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="Stealth-patriot"]

Stealth-patriot

If your like me and are dying to play your xbox, you will do anything to bring it back to life!

this idea will break a lot more 360s than it will fix, not everyone is adept at electronics and the repair of a 360
srdjan311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 srdjan311
Member since 2007 • 1247 Posts

hahah im way too lazy

Stealth-patriot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Stealth-patriot

hahah im way too lazy

srdjan311

you can do it brosefus! I promise we all can do it!

Stealth-patriot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Stealth-patriot

[QUOTE="Stealth-patriot"]

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"] and extremely simple!!! wait no it isnt, its needlessly complicatedchaoscougar1

this idea will break a lot more 360s than it will fix, not everyone is adept at electronics and the repair of a 360

how in the world can you possibly brake an xbox that is already beyond the repair of even a professional? Whats it gonna matter if there really is nothing you can do with a spare xbox laying around lol. ya know?

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 chaoscougar1

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="Stealth-patriot"]

Stealth-patriot

how in the world can you possibly brake an xbox that is already beyond the repair of even a professional? Whats it gonna matter if there really is nothing you can do with a spare xbox laying around lol. ya know?

send it in so you dont have to buy a whole new box? its a little cheaper
ThatsSimtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ThatsSimtastic
Member since 2009 • 2054 Posts

WOAH AND COMPLETELY FREE YOU SAY?! This is just too good to be true sir!!

You do know all xboxs get a free repair for MS if you get RROD? Unless of course your tamper with an xbox, in your case

phixional_b3ar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 phixional_b3ar
Member since 2009 • 49 Posts

I can only assume that the people commenting in this thread has some sort of reading impairment because he was obviously writing it for people with a broken 360 that was outside of the 3 year warranty. But hey guys don't wanna pass up on a chance to look like a smart ass on the internet do we?

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 chaoscougar1

I can only assume that the people commenting in this thread has some sort of reading impairment because he was obviously writing it for people with a broken 360 that was outside of the 3 year warranty. But hey guys don't wanna pass up on a chance to look like a smart ass on the internet do we?

phixional_b3ar
lol but if people do this and cant put the thing back together/fix it, they wont be able to send it in. so instead of paying $100 for repairs, they will be paying $200-$400 for a new console, obviously ;)
thisguy51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 thisguy51
Member since 2006 • 5319 Posts
This seems really dangerous.
Patriot298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Patriot298
Member since 2006 • 1187 Posts

Stealth-patriot

Hello Stealth-patriot,

Let the real Patriot tell you that its not good to do this over and over as it can damage the cpu and gpu from overheating over and over without fresh thermal paste to cool it. Artic Silver 5 is the best to buy for it.

hotplayer220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#16 hotplayer220
Member since 2004 • 1818 Posts

Sounds pretty much like you are force crashing the Xbox and hard booting it. All you are doing is tricking it into thinking that all its components are fine. It will always have the same problem no matter what.

Next-Gen-Tec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Next-Gen-Tec
Member since 2009 • 4623 Posts
Yeah, I messed around when I got E74 and it was only covered for 1 year, now it's 3 years and I felt so ****ing pissed.
DPhunkT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DPhunkT
Member since 2008 • 1803 Posts
1. I took the xbox apart, and took everything off of the xbox motherboard. Take everything off of it, the fan duct, the fans, and the disk drive. put the power chip back into the front though however, because you will need to use it soonStealth-patriot
Warrenty Void. Right there.
sofakingfat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sofakingfat
Member since 2009 • 40 Posts

no, here's what i do. i take the 4 ring button out and shove a banana in there. then turn it on with my controller. BAM! NO RINGS!