READ THIS!!! Solution to crashes caused by overheating!! (Thanks for the sticky)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

eyeLUVgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#351 eyeLUVgames
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

I love games, just like my name says, but I can't help but feeling justified for sticking with Sony.  Sure 360 graphics and game choices, current and future, are promising, but my God would I be pissed after spending around $500 for a brand new system (and games) and have to play MacGiver to avoid a crash or freeze every 20 minutes.  My understanding is that quite a few of these new consoles are displaying something like this: 

One of the Xbox 360 crash screens

every 20 or so minutes.  I've heard people have to put a/c units facing the console, danglng the power cord by a string, or putting it on a box open side up, all to get ample air to the machine.  It's practically on homemade life-support, with the gamers left screaming, "Breathe, damn you!!!!".  I'm a die hard Sony Playstation fan, but I can't help feeling sorry for my fellow gamers out there.  It must really feel like you've been had.  My condolences.

NYC_Souljah08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#352 NYC_Souljah08
Member since 2005 • 3202 Posts
this thread became famous
flintgijoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#353 flintgijoe
Member since 2004 • 1954 Posts

I love games, just like my name says, but I can't help but feeling justified for sticking with Sony.  Sure 360 graphics and game choices, current and future, are promising, but my God would I be pissed after spending around $500 for a brand new system (and games) and have to play MacGiver to avoid a crash or freeze every 20 minutes.  My understanding is that quite a few of these new consoles are displaying something like this: 

One of the Xbox 360 crash screens

every 20 or so minutes.  I've heard people have to put a/c units facing the console, danglng the power cord by a string, or putting it on a box open side up, all to get ample air to the machine.  It's practically on homemade life-support, with the gamers left screaming, "Breathe, damn you!!!!".  I'm a die hard Sony Playstation fan, but I can't help feeling sorry for my fellow gamers out there.  It must really feel like you've been had.  My condolences.

eyeLUVgames

a) The XBOX 360 has problems at launch...  check

b) Therefore you decide to stick with sony...  ??????

The PS2 wasn't exactly a "problem free" console.  (ummmmm....  DDE anyone?)   There are many reasons a person may want to stick with Sony, but console reliability/stabiluity really isn't a good one. 

Avatar image for Goldeneyemaster
Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#354 Goldeneyemaster
Member since 2003 • 6906 Posts

this thread became famous NYC_Souljah08

I had no idea it was going to become this famous.   I didn't even think it would be considered for a sticky when I made it, I thought people were going to flame me for posting that this box thing could help the 360.

triky69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#355 triky69
Member since 2005 • 64 Posts

thx at ton dude i hope this helps me my 360 started overheating a while ago after about 20 minutes

now it over heats consistantly and my mom wants me to return it but i dont want to so i hope this works

XSAVAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#356 XSAVAGE
Member since 2003 • 3232 Posts
mine is on the floor and no crashes so far. works perfectly.
Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#357 Goldeneyemaster

thx at ton dude i hope this helps me my 360 started overheating a while ago after about 20 minutes

now it over heats consistantly and my mom wants me to return it but i dont want to so i hope this works

triky69

I would send it to MS if I were you, I just sent mine in.  You are going to be mad if it breaks permanently in a year because you didn't send it in and the warrenty is expired.

Element_225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#358 Element_225
Member since 2005 • 496 Posts
well even though I haven't bought the 360 yet (theyre all sold-out) you could cool it down with ice pack or a fan...just an idea
spiderstropey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#359 spiderstropey
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
I just find it unbelievable and unacceptable. A product coming from a world dominating company in the market of computers and software should be void of such imperfections. Even in the first batch. Some these guys get paid the big bucks just to sit and look for these types of problems. Why can't they get it right the first time.
69GOD69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#360 69GOD69
Member since 2003 • 77 Posts

I Hear that if you put it in the freezer for 3 days previous to game play, it should run for about 1 days worth of playing. LOL

Freakboy Troy

69GOD69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#361 69GOD69
Member since 2003 • 77 Posts

Its Microsoft man! This is what they do. Advertise the hell out of it, say it's the best thing since sliced bread, presell it, call a shortage, tell you you're a fool for not preordering so you had better not miss out when the next batch arrives. And then when everyone in the world owns one spend the next five years tring to make it do what they said it would do five years ago. The Only Problem Is that the Return Policy is only 30 Days, not five years. Next Generation Graphics.LOL. We'll see if they say they're next gen in 6 months.

Freakboy Troy

pinky51575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#362 pinky51575
Why are you wasting your time with a quick fix, I would be bugging the hell out of Microsoft to replace it rather then trying to suspend it in the air with some string or put it on a box. You have a brand new system that should work properly. Unlike the first Play Station, their overheating problem started after more then a years use of the system. You get it for a day and you have be upside down, with your feet behind your head and only looking to he left for it to work. You guys are blind to the fact that you have a deffective product and it needs replaced. I am just glad that I decided to wait, at least when I do get mine most of the bugs, which should not be their if they did all of the proper testing, will be fixed. All iI have to say is I hope you all enjoy tring to find a way to play on your roof in the rain, that way it stays even cooler.
remaGloohcSdlO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#363 remaGloohcSdlO
Member since 2005 • 4152 Posts
I think it's awesome that we paid $400 and up so that we could be beta testers for overheating power bricks! The should have shipped it with some string or a matching empty box for this problem! LOL Gotta love MS. I have had no overheating problems yet. **fingers crossed**
CHEFOS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#364 CHEFOS
Member since 2005 • 85 Posts
I haven't had a problem with mine crashing. And everyone on my friends list is not having a problem. So of my friends say if they don't play the 360 for a day or two that it freezes up when they load a game.
Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#365 Goldeneyemaster

Why are you wasting your time with a quick fix, I would be bugging the hell out of Microsoft to replace it rather then trying to suspend it in the air with some string or put it on a box. You have a brand new system that should work properly. Unlike the first Play Station, their overheating problem started after more then a years use of the system. You get it for a day and you have be upside down, with your feet behind your head and only looking to he left for it to work. You guys are blind to the fact that you have a deffective product and it needs replaced. I am just glad that I decided to wait, at least when I do get mine most of the bugs, which should not be their if they did all of the proper testing, will be fixed. All iI have to say is I hope you all enjoy tring to find a way to play on your roof in the rain, that way it stays even cooler.pinky51575

I did send it to Microsoft to get it replaced.

slimshady007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#366 slimshady007
Member since 2005 • 1269 Posts
any body know what number to call in all numbers no letters besides the microsoft #
Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#367 Goldeneyemaster

any body know what number to call in all numbers no letters besides the microsoft # slimshady007

The number is in the manuel

mantas87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#368 mantas87
Member since 2004 • 710 Posts

Although I have not yet had any overheating problems with my 360 i still decided to play it safe. I had considered hanging my battery pack on strings like the first guy recomended but that seemed like it would be a pain so I came up with a easier method. Behold the power of a notebook and two JENGA blocks!

Ever since I did this the power brick has been much cooler to the touch.

dannywodes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#369 dannywodes
Member since 2005 • 224 Posts
has anyone had there discs get scratched by the 360??
lwiseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#370 lwiseman
I haven't had any of my games scratched by the system but I've heard of it happening to some people...Anyways, I don't know how u came up with it, but giving that power brick a little more breathing room really solved my freezing problems.  I've got its edges sitting on a box now.  I'm happy cuz now 1. I don't have to deal w/ MS   and 2. It works perfectly now...........thanks man..ur a genious
Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#371 Goldeneyemaster

I haven't had any of my games scratched by the system but I've heard of it happening to some people...Anyways, I don't know how u came up with it, but giving that power brick a little more breathing room really solved my freezing problems.  I've got its edges sitting on a box now.  I'm happy cuz now 1. I don't have to deal w/ MS   and 2. It works perfectly now...........thanks man..ur a geniouslwiseman

I am glad it worked for you.  It stopped the freezing in CoD2 and PGR3 for me but my 360 still froze in PDZ.  So I had to send it back.

cedputer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#372 cedputer
Someone should go to other forums and post this info
Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#373 Goldeneyemaster

Someone should go to other forums and post this infocedputer

This info is already everywhere.  Look at this: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=goldeneyemaster&btnG=Google+Search (there are 655 results, many of them articles about this thread).

tatu2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#374 tatu2004
Member since 2004 • 17173 Posts

My 360 was crashing a lot (like once every 20 minutes).  So I took the power supply off the ground and suspended it in the air with some string.  I have been playing for about 3 hours straight and no crashes so far!

EDIT:  I found an easier way to do this.  I got a box with no cover and put the power supply on the edges.

Pics (hosting provided by www.photojerk.com):

EDIT 2:  This is just one way of doing it.  The main point of this fix is to get your PSU off the ground for maximum heat release. 

Also, it seems like most 360s are freezing due to overheating.  My Xbox 360 was freezing every 20 minutes. When I put the PSU on this box I left the console on for 7 hours without crashing (I finally decided to turn it off). 

NOTE: If your 360 is not freezing because of overheating, this fix WILL NOT work.

Goldeneyemaster

thanks for the info..

Kutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#375 Kutt
Member since 2005 • 2486 Posts

[QUOTE="pinky51575"]Why are you wasting your time with a quick fix, I would be bugging the hell out of Microsoft to replace it rather then trying to suspend it in the air with some string or put it on a box. You have a brand new system that should work properly. Unlike the first Play Station, their overheating problem started after more then a years use of the system. You get it for a day and you have be upside down, with your feet behind your head and only looking to he left for it to work. You guys are blind to the fact that you have a deffective product and it needs replaced. I am just glad that I decided to wait, at least when I do get mine most of the bugs, which should not be their if they did all of the proper testing, will be fixed. All iI have to say is I hope you all enjoy tring to find a way to play on your roof in the rain, that way it stays even cooler.Goldeneyemaster

I did send it to Microsoft to get it replaced.

Yeah I sent mine up to get fixed and they replaced it because they said in the letter they sent with my new 360 that my 360 was real messed up and the couldnt fix it

yoniatar56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#376 yoniatar56
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
Would it be a good idea to keep it outside next to snow but not touching it? :P
Terami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#377 Terami
Member since 2004 • 3992 Posts
It's posts like this that make me realize one thing, I'm waiting to buy an Xbox 360... I may even wait so long that I'll wind up with a PS3 instead. Suspending things just to prevent heating/freezing/melting/fire issues with my consoles isn't my idea of a quality product. I mean really, does it not feel pretty stupid having to do a "fix" at all?

If MS wasn't up to the job of doing a world wide launch, then maybe they shouldn't have done so. Sure people would have complained because they went back on their word but then their name wouldn't be tarnished the way it is now.
Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#378 Goldeneyemaster

It's posts like this that make me realize one thing, I'm waiting to buy an Xbox 360... I may even wait so long that I'll wind up with a PS3 instead. Suspending things just to prevent heating/freezing/melting/fire issues with my consoles isn't my idea of a quality product. I mean really, does it not feel pretty stupid having to do a "fix" at all?

If MS wasn't up to the job of doing a world wide launch, then maybe they shouldn't have done so. Sure people would have complained because they went back on their word but then their name wouldn't be tarnished the way it is now.
Terami

I agree, worldwide launch was a terrible decision.

itsonelouder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#379 itsonelouder
Member since 2005 • 117 Posts
So is the only issue with the 360 the overheating which is solved by raising the power box above the ground? Is that it? It's such a long thread, i can't be bothered to read it
Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#380 Goldeneyemaster

So is the only issue with the 360 the overheating which is solved by raising the power box above the ground? Is that it? It's such a long thread, i can't be bothered to read ititsonelouder

Most 360s are crashing due to one of these reasons:

1. Overheating

2. Software Failure

3. Some other hardware failure

4. A combination of two or all three of these

Mine was crashing due to overheating and something else, that is why I got mine replaced.

fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#381 fynne
Member since 2002 • 8078 Posts
I'm surprised that the 360 would put out that much heat.
Unothurtnnutn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#382 Unothurtnnutn
Thank you and everyone for chillin. Your advice is great! Thanks! But I will be honest and say I am not a owner of the three sixty. These reports of system defects is making me make a decision about owning a three sixty though.... I will take the four hundred and maybe buy a single 7800 nvidia card for my pc... spread love not war 1
Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#383 Goldeneyemaster

Thank you and everyone for chillin. Your advice is great! Thanks! But I will be honest and say I am not a owner of the three sixty. These reports of system defects is making me make a decision about owning a three sixty though.... I will take the four hundred and maybe buy a single 7800 nvidia card for my pc... spread love not war 1Unothurtnnutn

Hey man only a small percentage of 360s are actually defective.  Still buy one!  That 7800 for your PC is a bad decision, because the graphics card isn't the only thing you have to upgrade to make your PC top of the line.  Anyway, you wont get any of the 360 exclusive titles (PDZ, PGR3, Gears of War, Kameo, Halo 3, are just a few).  Also the games for 360 are guarenteed to run smoothly if they are made correctly, unlike your PC which may not run every game very well.  I would recommend a 360 instead of a PC graphics card.

rossy02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#384 rossy02
I dont think this is good enough from such a massive company and i am outraged to find this with xbox 360's. I hope i dont happen to mine lol :roll:
Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#385 Goldeneyemaster
Just got my brand new 360 from MS today, it works great!
Avatar image for deactivated-57c6e67948686
deactivated-57c6e67948686

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#386 deactivated-57c6e67948686

I have exacly the same problem i have tried everything to cool it down using fans ice packs it goes longer b4 freezing but it still wont let me do the first level on PDZ i have rang the call centre all they did was take my name and phone number they STILL HAVENT RANG BAK! 

i hear u have a 30 days 2 get it reaplaced but i dont no if they will ring bak b4 then so am goin 2 bug the hell out of the 2morro :P

qbushido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#387 qbushido
Member since 2002 • 25 Posts
Just got my brand new 360 from MS today, it works great!Goldeneyemaster

what do you think they changed? 
360philli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#388 360philli
i tried this method and it seemed to work but it didnt stay on for as long as i wished. i took his idea and another reply and put them together. i had realized that my 360 wasnt heating up too too much(atleast not enough to stop after 20 min like it was) so i then moved to the power supply. I had it in a corner which and was really hot (after 3 hours of gaming). so what i did was i went upstairs and got a fan from my parents room. i layed it on the hard floor so that it was blowing up. i then put the power supply on that. i am happy to say that it hasnt crashed once but it is kind of annoying because it can get loud. my friends dad works for microsoft and i did inform him about how this worked.PS HIS SON DIDNT GET AN XBOX YET SO ALL OF US WHO HAVE ONE SHOULD BE HAPPY AND WORK WITH WHAT WE HAVE!!!!
360philli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#389 360philli
umm ICE PACKS !!!!! WATER AND A HUGE POWER SUPPLY DONT MIX IM SORRY TO INFORM YOU
Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#390 Goldeneyemaster

[QUOTE="Goldeneyemaster"]Just got my brand new 360 from MS today, it works great!qbushido

what do you think they changed? 

"Brand new" was the key there.  They didn't repair my system, they replaced it.  I got a whole new system.  They included a letter with the new 360 that pretty much said "Your old system was too messed up for us to repair it, here is a new system".

tman95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#391 tman95

How exactly can you tell if it's an overheating issue? Thanks for the tip on the power supply as well...

Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#392 Goldeneyemaster
I just assume that one of the problems is overheating because raising the power supply fised the freezing in CoD2 and PGR3.  Also the power supply is very hot when you touch it.  But since PDZ still froze for me, the problem is obviously more than just overheating, which is why I got a new system from MS.
phat_pigl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#393 phat_pigl
Member since 2005 • 855 Posts

my XBOX 360 has not crashed yet, but if it does I will try this, thanks for the tip

tman95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#394 tman95
I'm sending mine is as well. I did reposition my power supply unit but it didn't help. My problem is that I can play fine for 20-30 minutes, then my screen goes blank! When I try to power off the system and re-start, 3 of the 4 quadrant lights on the front of the 360 are flashing red and it won't power on for at least another half hour or so. Anyway thanks for the response and hope to be gaming soon!!
seldomsean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#396 seldomsean
Member since 2003 • 34 Posts

My 360 was crashing a lot (like once every 20 minutes).  So I took the power supply off the ground and suspended it in the air with some string.  I have been playing for about 3 hours straight and no crashes so far!

EDIT:  I found an easier way to do this.  I got a box with no cover and put the power supply on the edges.

Pics (hosting provided by www.photojerk.com):

EDIT 2:  This is just one way of doing it.  The main point of this fix is to get your PSU off the ground for maximum heat release. 

Also, it seems like most 360s are freezing due to overheating.  My Xbox 360 was freezing every 20 minutes. When I put the PSU on this box I left the console on for 7 hours without crashing (I finally decided to turn it off). 

NOTE: If your 360 is not freezing because of overheating, this fix WILL NOT work.

Goldeneyemaster

Did not know that thanks:D

BNT_Stuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#397 BNT_Stuff
Member since 2005 • 39 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I am getting a 360 very soon, and I saw lots of things about crashing. Theirs a post on www.forum.thegamecreators.com telling people not to buy it because of this problem. I bet all these people saying "Crap, I wanted one of those, but now I see they suck!", will be very happy as well. Thanks, BNTStuff.com
Hawkje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#398 Hawkje
Member since 2005 • 556 Posts

I think its lame that they crash because of overheating, MS should have tested it better. :x

But i'm still going to buy one :D

The-0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#399 The-0ne
Member since 2005 • 2785 Posts
NICE! BUMP!
The-0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#400 The-0ne
Member since 2005 • 2785 Posts
Since i live in England I never get hot weather so i should be lucky if i just open the window in my bedroom. :-)