READ THIS!!! Solution to crashes caused by overheating!! (Thanks for the sticky)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Goldeneyemaster
Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#301 Goldeneyemaster
Member since 2003 • 6906 Posts

Overheating is not the only problem people are having you idiots.LARGENUTZ

Well so far it is the only problem anybody has found a temporary solution for.  I am very aware that there are other problems.  That is why I am sending my 360 in to MS, because mine has more problems than just overheating.  Think before you call other people idiots noob.

vw_Magnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#302 vw_Magnum
Member since 2004 • 97 Posts
Thank god my floor is cold as hell, I think It'll work just fine for me to drop in on the floor. Anyway, if this crashes ain't just Sony fanboy bullsh*t Microsoft ain't nothin' but morons. I mean, before they release a console they should make sure it runs properly. I'll just have to wait until friday before I can buy a 360. I live in Sweden you know, but i DO NOT like Volvo unlike those other punkassed swedes...
LARGENUTZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#303 LARGENUTZ
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
You are correct. I should not have said idiots. Im just a little frustrated that my new $400 game system is not working two days after I purchased it. Then when you do call for technical support , you end up talking to someone who barely speaks English and has no technical knowledge. Way to be on top of your expected launch problems M$.
Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#304 Goldeneyemaster

You are correct. I should not have said idiots. Im just a little frustrated that my new $400 game system is not working two days after I purchased it. Then when you do call for technical support , you end up talking to someone who barely speaks English and has no technical knowledge. Way to be on top of your expected launch problems M$.LARGENUTZ

I agree that the tech support sucks.  But I am still happy knowing that in two weeks I will have a brand new system from MS instead of my defective one.

the_GUNN_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#305 the_GUNN_man
Member since 2003 • 2717 Posts

You are correct. I should not have said idiots. Im just a little frustrated that my new $400 game system is not working two days after I purchased it. Then when you do call for technical support , you end up talking to someone who barely speaks English and has no technical knowledge. Way to be on top of your expected launch problems M$.LARGENUTZ

I know this is off topic but I wonder why SOOOO many phone support people barely speak english? Why do these people get hired? You would think that during the interview that if you can't understand them that why would you hire them, put a headset on them and have them talking to your customers. UNLESS this is done on purpose so that they can play the dumb role and get you frustrated enough you just hang up. The companies I have noticed who do it are: Nextel, Microsoft, SBC, Walmart.com, DirecTv, Charter,  etc. I am sure there are many others.

Sorry about being off topic had to vent.

Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#306 Goldeneyemaster

[QUOTE="LARGENUTZ"]You are correct. I should not have said idiots. Im just a little frustrated that my new $400 game system is not working two days after I purchased it. Then when you do call for technical support , you end up talking to someone who barely speaks English and has no technical knowledge. Way to be on top of your expected launch problems M$.the_GUNN_man

I know this is off topic but I wonder why SOOOO many phone support people barely speak english? Why do these people get hired? You would think that during the interview that if you can't understand them that why would you hire them, put a headset on them and have them talking to your customers. UNLESS this is done on purpose so that they can play the dumb role and get you frustrated enough you just hang up. The companies I have noticed who do it are: Nextel, Microsoft, SBC, Walmart.com, DirecTv, Charter,  etc. I am sure there are many others.

Sorry about being off topic had to vent.

The reason why they can't speak english is because they are over seas, usually in India.  And compared to most people in India, the MS tech support people speak pretty good english.

Sparky1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#307 Sparky1989
sweet thanks tried it, and WORKS thanks a lot
markthebum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#308 markthebum
Member since 2004 • 1249 Posts

That's awesome, who would think?  What gave you the idea in the first part to tie the power supple to a string and dangle it int he air? Zaber123

its obviose that you need to keep the PSU cool(anyone else that knows anything about electronics should know this)

try other stuff to, like blowing a fan on it or heck put it in a laptop case with dry ice!!! cant be too cold!!!

DjGaGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#309 DjGaGo
I just told microsoft about the problem like 30 minutes ago and I hope that they'll do sumtin about it so, it's good that there is a temporary solution, another solution that I thought is to put a comp fan to the power supply so it won't over heat in such a short period of time.
YOca11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#310 YOca11
Cool! This thread has made it to Slashdot!! (I'm a Slashdot subscriber) Nice work!
Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#311 Goldeneyemaster

Cool! This thread has made it to Slashdot!! (I'm a Slashdot subscriber) Nice work!YOca11

Can you give me a link to it?

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#312 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts
you do realize that putting a heat source on such a flammable material as cardboard is a fire hazard
chembro84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#313 chembro84
Member since 2004 • 829 Posts
you do realize that putting a heat source on such a flammable material as cardboard is a fire hazardOneWingedAngeI

It doesn't get THAT hot.
stogie1159

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#315 stogie1159
I bought a little wood shelf for my wall behind my hdtv and put my brick on it. No crashes yet and we've been torturing this 360, I think somone has been playing non-stop since release between my brothers-in-law, kids, and me. I think it had a 30 minute rest when we all piled in the car to go pick up PDZ.Dougolson507
Here's a thought... The wood you have been using has different heating dispersal characteristics than let's say... Carpet. I would imagine those who have their power brick against a hard surface will crash a lot less than those that have a brick up against a shag carpet. The insulative properties of the two are much different.
DjGaGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#316 DjGaGo
You don't have to put it in the top of a cardboard, you could put it on top of some metal stand or durable plastic as long that air can circulate into it.
Holden14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#317 Holden14
Member since 2005 • 4286 Posts

*FOR SOMEONE WHOS XBOX DOESN'T CRASH ANYMORE*caps* Can you post a pic of your power brick and your 360 just so I can see how much air can get to it...like...do you have to put it in the middle of the room? or can you just put it behind your tv...I just want to see...thanks

ice_radon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#318 ice_radon
Member since 2002 • 70464 Posts
Wow, we have been slashdotted!
twelve21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#319 twelve21
Member since 2003 • 101 Posts
Yeah, I came here from Slashdot. It sucks that the 360s crash. Given that they crash, though, the solution is a pretty easy one, but it shouldn't HAVE to be done. They shouldn't suck like that. It's indicative of a rush job - something MS was previously criticized for anyway. Tisk tisk.
slimshady007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#320 slimshady007
Member since 2005 • 1269 Posts
i tried many of the thing u listed but my 360 still frezzes
Superbustacap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#321 Superbustacap
Member since 2004 • 10663 Posts
How do you "ventalate the system properly"?
Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#322 Goldeneyemaster

i tried many of the thing u listed but my 360 still frezzes slimshady007

Send your console to MS and get a new one.  That is what I am doing since mine still freezes on PDZ.

glch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#323 glch
granted I have tried this with a 360, but when my slimline ps2 would freeze after about hours of play, we would stick frozen meat on both sides, and it would cool down and start playing again.

So, just stick some porkchops on both sides, and you'll be good, just make sure to switch em out when they thaw :)
BoSockin3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#324 BoSockin3
Member since 2005 • 378 Posts

Hmm, I must be lucky or something, I havent had any of these problems with my 360. Played for 5 hours straight with my brick just sitting in my entertainment stand and I've had no freezing or overheating.

Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#325 Goldeneyemaster

granted I have tried this with a 360, but when my slimline ps2 would freeze after about hours of play, we would stick frozen meat on both sides, and it would cool down and start playing again.

So, just stick some porkchops on both sides, and you'll be good, just make sure to switch em out when they thaw :)
glch

:lol:

Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#326 Goldeneyemaster

I know my 360 still freezes in PDZ, but...

This is my 1,000th post!

hoankiemdinh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#327 hoankiemdinh
Member since 2004 • 685 Posts
Keep up the good posts people!?
tomservo51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#328 tomservo51
Member since 2003 • 698 Posts
So $Soft is losing over $100 on each console. And now they are going to lose more replacing systems and power supplys? Man, that hurts,. Maybe the shortage is a blessing in disguise?
LessThanMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#329 LessThanMike
Member since 2002 • 5364 Posts
So $Soft is losing over $100 on each console. And now they are going to lose more replacing systems and power supplys? Man, that hurts,. Maybe the shortage is a blessing in disguise?tomservo51

good point, i elevated mine and it hasn't froze yet...i'm debating whether to get the warranty from gamestop...i have 2 more days to get it
tomservo51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#330 tomservo51
Member since 2003 • 698 Posts

ALWAYS get the warranty on new consoles!

[QUOTE="tomservo51"]So $Soft is losing over $100 on each console. And now they are going to lose more replacing systems and power supplys? Man, that hurts,. Maybe the shortage is a blessing in disguise?LessThanMike

good point, i elevated mine and it hasn't froze yet...i'm debating whether to get the warranty from gamestop...i have 2 more days to get it

Freddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#331 Freddy
Member since 2002 • 1037 Posts

I dont know what you guys are doing to make your x360 crash but I havent had that problem.  I've put my adapter on the floor (carpet) and played for hours without crash.  It might also have to do with the environment of the room.  If your room is super hot, then yes it will most likely freeze.  I've also played in harsh environments and no freeze yet.  Hopefully this doesnt happen to me and if it does I will put this method under consideration.

My x360 is flawless, so far so good.  Let's hope I didnt jinx myself but the system seems to be working great.  It does get a bit hot but dude, can you do other things rather then play the system for hours of the day?  You might want to try ice packs that are reusable.  Maybe that can help or putting it on a metal table.  I dont know, just never had this problem.

Other or, thanks for the tip.  :)

dirtyamish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#332 dirtyamish
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
Not to say the power supplies aren't possibly crappy, but what temperature is your home running? I keep mine at no more than 70 degrees so wondering if I should just wait till much later to get me a 360. Of course it will also help that I live in Chicago and have nice, cold, non-carpeted floors. :D
craigTheBrit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#333 craigTheBrit
[QUOTE="-Unreal-"]
Its falling back down please sticky it mods!!!soul_raver47
Something this stupid doesn't need floated. Xbox 360 has a fault that needs to be addressed. A thread with some measley little thing like "have the power block off the ground" isn't float worthy.

Haha! It's all over the web and on Slashdot too, and you thought it shouldn't even be bumped :D
hatchetman696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#334 hatchetman696
Member since 2005 • 684 Posts
That is godly!
bakerdp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#335 bakerdp
Member since 2003 • 205 Posts

How do you "ventalate the system properly"?Superbustacap

Here's how - "VentIlate the system properly"

bakerdp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#336 bakerdp
Member since 2003 • 205 Posts

[QUOTE="Superbustacap"]How do you "ventalate the system properly"?bakerdp

Here's how - "VentIlate the system properly"

Dangit - Stupid font!!!  I used a capitol "i" to be cute.  A lot of good it did.

Trying again - "Ventilate the system properly"

tarzan909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#337 tarzan909
Just buy a little cardboard box and get a scissor and make a stand out of it, it works fine for me
kratos419

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#338 kratos419
Member since 2005 • 271 Posts
You guys can try putting a 20 oz bottle of water half- filled in the freezer then putting that on top of a towel or something on the adapter.  This worked for my PS2 slimline which was having the same problem as you're speaking of with the 360.  Just keep two bottles so you always have one ready to go. :)
ZebulonPi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#339 ZebulonPi

Dude, congratz, man. You've gone international.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27930

blitzinger123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#340 blitzinger123
Member since 2005 • 2370 Posts
Me and a few friends are experiencing crashes with our 360's. Not really a crash but a freeze up I should say. And its not the power. I checked the brick and system and both werent really hot. They were kinda warm but not to the point where it would cause a freeze up. My friends 360 freezes when he does split screen w/ COD2, my other friend had a freeze up while playing PDZ, and I have had my system lock up 4 times while playing PDZ. Any suggestions or anyone having this problem? Again, suspending the brick doesnt look like the answer to this problem and I've already tried it
phatram32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#341 phatram32
Member since 2003 • 687 Posts
How does everyone have their xbox 360 set up?  Is it ok to have the power supply connected to a surge protector that has multiple outlets?
andyy2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#342 andyy2b

I am having the same problem. All my games work fine yet PDZ will freeze up randomly regardless of how hot the system or power brick is. I tried deleting my save game file and restarting and have notcied fewer crashes, 1 as opposed to the 5 or 6 times it would crash in one game.

Out of curiosity are people experiencing the freezing problems for systems using the hard drive? I'd like to know if people using a memory card are having the same problem, cause I am saving using the hard drive and am wondering if it is the hard drive causing a problem.

Also was anyone else dissapointed by the lackluster end of game boss in PDZ?

-Big_Poppa-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#343 -Big_Poppa-
Member since 2005 • 161 Posts
yeah.
tremo01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#344 tremo01
Member since 2005 • 13877 Posts
Congratulations on your post, it went onto the tech web news
http://www.techweb.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=174402212
Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#345 Goldeneyemaster

How does everyone have their xbox 360 set up?  Is it ok to have the power supply connected to a surge protector that has multiple outlets? phatram32

Yes it is best to have it connected to a surge protector.

Panther_Modern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#346 Panther_Modern
Member since 2005 • 76 Posts
I like your sig, proclaiming that everything was "fully paid". That's nice. That's... that's special right there...

Did you fully pay for that jerk-water cooling system too?
Goldeneyemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#347 Goldeneyemaster

I like your sig, proclaiming that everything was "fully paid". That's nice. That's... that's special right there...

Did you fully pay for that jerk-water cooling system too?
Panther_Modern

The only reasone it says "Fully Paid" on everything is because I had a bundle preordered about 2 months ago.  Then the store found out that they wouldn't get any systems on launch.  And for some reason Gamespot is messed up and I can't change my sig, so it has to stay like that until Gamespot actually fixes some problems.  And yes, I did pay for the "cooling system".

Midnight_Eyez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#348 Midnight_Eyez
Member since 2005 • 609 Posts
I wished this "solution" stopped my 360 from freezing, but it dosent. nither does putting my 360 and "brick" next to an open window with 10 degree wind blowing directly into my 360 and "brick", all this did was raise my heating bill. so i say F' it. I would love to just smash this system with a hammer or throw it off my roof and just take it as a $500 (with games) loss but i'am not rich like gates so i'm just gonna get a refund and wait for the PS3. any thoughts?
joemlm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#349 joemlm
First, A CARDBOARD BOX IS NOT SAFE WAY TO DO THIS!!! Use a metal box or heavy plastic box or crate, like a milk crate!!! Mine actually hangs form the side of my entertainment center and i have a small bendable fan on it AT ALL TIMES iT WILL NOT HURT ANYTHING.....IT MAY ACTAULLY HELP IN THE LONG TERM!!!! Remember use a crate or hag it off the side of the table or entertainment center you use, a crate is a great way to keep your XBOX360 and Power Brick OFF THE FLOOR!!! PLease spread these tips on other sites as well, with pictures if you have them Those cardboard box pictures being circulated are not very safe!!!! Thanks for your feedback joseph
hirosimaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#350 hirosimaka
Member since 2004 • 146 Posts
Yeah, the power brick as well as the xbox iteself puts out alot of heat.  I have both of mine sitting down on a desk, but I have a fan blowing cool air in through a window (its gotten cold since it is winter) and that works very well.