READ THIS!!! Solution to crashes caused by overheating!! (Thanks for the sticky)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Belly7022

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#751 Belly7022
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Today my son was playing a game and we got the 3 flashing red lights. I thought that this problem was resolved? This is the 3rd XBOX that i have had from Microsoft. The first one was given to me by my in-laws as a Christmas present, that one gave me the 3 flashing red lights so i sent it in for service. I received a new XBOX 360 instead of the old one. 10 minutes after getting it all hooked up and playing it happened again. Called support and they said to send it in again. Sent it in and they sent me a new one again. I have had this one for about 10 months now with no problems other than running really loud sometimes. I asked the guy on the phone why this keeps happening? He said he wasn't sure. I told him this was the third XBOX 360 that i have had in my possession, and he told me that they only have one call in the database. I think that i should have just waited and bought a PS3:( Anyone else have this happening LOL!!!
00Sythe00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#752 00Sythe00
Member since 2008 • 91 Posts
About the powerstrip thing, how does plugging it into a powerstrip make a difference than plugging it directly into the wall....
SPARTAN-196

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#753 SPARTAN-196
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Now my question is... what do you do if it still locks up every 20-40min and your powersupply has always been off the ground sense day 1? oh yeah and its always been pluged directly into the wall no powerstrip

just recently its started to lockup with a static signal over audo and the screen then goes green or black, or takes whatever screen is currently shown and then sqews it with white dots

spendinbig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#754 spendinbig
Member since 2004 • 698 Posts
Tried this stuff and mine still locks up as the system is being turned on
D3ADMaggot911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#755 D3ADMaggot911
Member since 2007 • 880 Posts
Lol Its Freezes cause its hot ...
nate_c-12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#756 nate_c-12
Member since 2008 • 3072 Posts
yea it works i tried it, thanks for spreading the news!
wikkiwild1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#757 wikkiwild1
Member since 2005 • 188 Posts

I use a Toshiba 1400S Plus series on-line ups which retails for around $4000. I have not had any freezes but I have an 360 Elite. Another solution for those on a budget is a intercooler you can get. I have a friend who got his 360 when they first came out. He hasn't had RROD yet but he has had problems crashing. I suggested he get the intercooler and he is crash free for over a year now. Also don't clutter stuff around your 360 so you get maximum air movement around the 360. A simple power bar is no good as a power filter. The UPS I use is one of the best and also gives me battery back up so I can save my game before the batteries run out.

The 360 is like a pc, it runs best when warm but not hot, So use a good power filter and use an intercooler if needed.

sprinter6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#758 sprinter6
Member since 2004 • 333 Posts

When we tiled our kitchen about a decade ago, we had several tiles left over, my mom suggested using tiles for things that sit on the floor and cause heat.

I've used my N64, Sega Saturn, my PC's External Harddrive, our Wireless router, and currently I have an Xbox, and my 360's power brick placed on one each.

They are unsightly, unless tucked away.

Either way, they're much safer than putting the heat sources straight onto the carpet, or entertainment center wood.
SaharzLV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#759 SaharzLV
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Btw i have the same crashing problem, but it seems to appear only when i play GTA 4. Never ever my x has crashed on other game. Is that a game problem or overheat or console or what?
HsN215

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#760 HsN215
hey! suspending the xbox really works!! Thank u!!:D
Duminakan89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#761 Duminakan89
Member since 2005 • 857 Posts
Let's see if this works, my box continues to crash when I play pretty much any game, giving me two red rings....
xancthus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#762 xancthus

http://stargate.mgm.com/specialops/link.php?urlid=38&id=6087

http://stargate.mgm.com/specialops/link.php?urlid=39&id=6087 

xancthus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#763 xancthus
Sorry, wrong forum
MaStErBlAdE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#764 MaStErBlAdE
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
What I've found working recently is placing a high powered, small fan near the brick and blowing air at it, keeping it cool. Works FINE in college, where dorm rooms haven't too many outlets and you've got to make do with powerstrips. Right now, since my box isn't set up in the home theater with all the really nice power surge strips, I'm putting my brick on top of a flat bed fan, to see how well it fares.
millie143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#765 millie143

Hi There

One night i was playing my Xbox 360. The next day i went to turn it on and there was no picture. I could hear the start up sound, but the picture was just a black screen with small white dots seperated evenly flying in different directions.

Does anyone know what this is caused by because im baffled. And its not the scart lead because i tried it at my mate sn it did exactly the same.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. :)

Thanks Guys

06pinterj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#766 06pinterj
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

hi everybody i got my 360 about 1 month ago yesterday i was playin on gta 4 and my screen froze never happened before. can anyone tell me what shall is do now, send it back to the shop or what?

HELP PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Kha88NZdils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#767 Kha88NZdils
Member since 2009 • 80 Posts

Hey there,

My names Dillon.

I to have fallen victim to my 'falcon' chipset xbox 360 dying on me when I was having a gaming marathon.

I am now preparing to purchase another one, this time it will be the 60GB Pro 'jasper' version, which i think are the best (my own opinion). The 60GB has had a small difference in the build that creates more breathing space for the 360 console.

Firstly the 60GB build difference has had four of the ram chips removed from the bottom of the motherboard, and the top ram chips doubled in capacity (both 'falcon' and 'jasper' 60GB versions have this design). They do not suffer overheating problems as much as the older falcon and zypher chipset versions which have the original build of the ram chips being placed on the bottom. Having said that, being able to create more breathing space within the console itself, Microsoft have reduced the chances of getting the dreaded 'RRoD'. This should make the 60GB consoles more reliable.

Secondly, of my understanding the 60GB versions have a system where they can store the games on the HHD itself but require the disc of the game you are playing for piracy reasons, thus making the new 360 quiter, have faster loading times, possibly keeping the console heat generation at a lower temprature and come with 16:10 aspect ratio over VGA or HDMI, and work in 1,440 x 900 and 1,680 x 1,050 resolutions unlike the older versions that read from the disc, which may in some cases sractch or crack the discs (my oblivion game is on the verge of snapping in half because of all the cracks)

Lastly, there are many ways to keep your 360 cool, here are some that I have come across and will use always. By placing your 360 in the coldest room in your household, preferably the basement or in a brickwalled interior room. Now the placement within the chosen room, make sure where-ever you decide to place your xbox it has ample breathing space, better yet is by a window that you have open or somewhere in the room where airflow passes through, this is one of, if not the most important things. 360's tend to run better when they are horizontal as you can see on your console, they have vents on every single side of the console except on the side of the disc tray (front). Now by placing the 360 upon something that sits about 2inches+ above the surface, making sure no vents are blocked, this will increase the airflow within the console which can also be done with the power box, and I reccommend it be done. Another option I have come across are having fans pointed at the back of the console where the heat is excreted. An option I prefer is purchasing a fan mod which will clip onto the back of your console via the power input (some other modded fans have their own power supply) and the power cable is connected via the fan mod (easy stuff). I would advise you do your research on the fans before you go ahead and buy it, if you want to take that option. I myself will be getting the 'Nyko Intercooler EX' which is an improvement on older version 'Nyko Intercooler'. Another option that helps expand the life of your 360 is to simply not spend countless hours doing gaming marathons on it, although its fun on xbox live, system link or simply 2 or more players, these should be avoided as the 360 can only take so much pressure. By keeping it at 2-3 hour play times and atleast 45min to an hour cooldown times should see your 360's life expanded. And one last thing, just because you may take this advice and use it with your own setup does not mean the the 'RRoD' will not come knocking at your door at some point, these are steps to prevent that from happening to your 360 before it's time.

What not to do is tip the console while there is a disc in there (common sense), and leave it in direct sunlight (obviously heats the console up, again, common sense), moving the console around lots (another factor why mine broke, I can hear a few loose things inside)

How to spot a 'jasper' 60GB 360, unlike the older versions of the 360 which can use over 175W, the newer 'jasper' versions only require a 150W's. They run off 12. 1A. There are a few ways to spot them, such as looking at the power box of the 360, but that would require purchasing and opening the box of a 360. Heres an easy way to find one without having purchase it. On the box where the barcode is, there will be a small hole that you can peer into and see the console itself. Now on the bottom left hand side of the hole on the console there will be 5V, now to the left of that will either be 14. 2A or 12. 1A. This tells you whether it is a 'jasper' version or not. The lesser 12. 1A is the 'jasper' version, easily understood as the power consumption is less of that of the 14. 2A are either the 'falcon' and/or 'zypher' versions (I am uncetain of which) which require a greater power consumption.

In my opinion if Microsoft had held off on the early release date, they could have greatly reduced the 'RRoD' percentage that effected so many xbox 360 owners. Microsoft sacreficed breathing space for the 'sleek' design, in comparrison to the PS3, which are larger. In reality it is a marketing scheme, but didnt work in their favour when they had to recall their products that contained the design fault. Be that as it may, I still love my 360's and cant wait to get my new one today after work!

If there are things you would like to add that I have forgotten or simply got wrong, by all means correct me.

Peace, Dillon.

Kha88NZdils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#768 Kha88NZdils
Member since 2009 • 80 Posts

Just a quick update on the 'Jasper' chipset 60GB Pro.

Had just finished work, feeling very optimistic that EB Games had the right model I was after. Although at first we were trying to find the Volts/Amps thorugh the hole by the barcode, we could not see a thing. Eventually we took the 360 out of its case, they guys behind the counter disagreed with me about that being the 'Jasper' model but once the console was out of the box all I had to do was check the Volt/Amp. 12. 1A, perfect!

Have just finised playing Fable 2, which I purchased along with the console, for 4 hours straight (yes I went against my words, but hey, the console is still cold! and besides, i havnt played a 360 in 5 months!), perhaps making sure both the console and the power adapter were elevated so the vents had good airflow helps it keep the temp down better than I had thought since my old premium would have been hot by the time 4 hours was up, the performance and noise were a great improvement from my older premium model.

Anyways, thats all from me for now.

Laters, Dillon.

CrazyChrisUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#769 CrazyChrisUK
Thanks! This helped immensely :)
EL1CHEF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#770 EL1CHEF
Member since 2009 • 106 Posts

yea I've been trying to find ways to not over heat my 360 I got it flat down , side ways (hdd facing the tv) and a 20$ square fan behind it on the #2 power

Dose this help?????

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#771 avatar52
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

How long do you have to play before overheating?

jackcarver666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#772 jackcarver666
my x-box 360 crashes either some time into the game or when it starts up some times when it freezes the screen turns all green or pink and when i turn the console off the power brick LED goes red for a split second sometimes it goes to stand by without doing any of that and i think it is my power brick or my mother board its acting real weird it was working fine a week ago like it was new but the day after that it got E71,E73,E74 and E79 that whole week and kept on freezing non stop i have also put in a new disc drive and overheated it and that solved the rings because i got the 3 lights then after the overheating then i got E79 and nothing after that it kept on freezing so i was lucky enough to get to the system slide and get to memory to do maintenance and it kept on with freezing and im thinking of opening and power brick and seeing if something is going out of whack or formatting the whole HD if anyone has any idea put the idea on this forum and ill take a look