RE5 VS mode actually was on the disc from the start!

• 93 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sophette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Sophette
Member since 2005 • 521 Posts

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/970/970396p1.html

This makes it even harder to justify spending money on that DLC. I wasn't buying it in the first place. I'd rather something that actually expands the story, like going back to play that Chris/Jill Flashback scene. I hope these unlock codes don't become a new trend. :(

DranzarTypeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DranzarTypeF
Member since 2009 • 2623 Posts

The whole gaming industry has been corrupted with this "DLC" CRAP, thanks for bringing this into the light dude.

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts
Really? I was actually very close to considering it buying it until now... I don't think I will now... thanks for letting me know!
Doomtime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Doomtime
Member since 2004 • 4282 Posts
So were the Street Fighter 4 costumes. I'm not paying upwards of 5 bucks for a 324 kb file that's readily available on the disc.
CruelPleasure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CruelPleasure
Member since 2009 • 230 Posts

God thats stupid. The gaming industry it going downhill with this DLC crap.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
I probably wasn't going to buy it anyway, but now I definately won't.
DranzarTypeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DranzarTypeF

So were the Street Fighter 4 costumes. I'm not paying upwards of 5 bucks for a 324 kb file that's readily available on the disc. Doomtime

exactly, game developers are now making you pay for game modes that should already be on the disc at launch, does this make sense ? sooner or later their gonna start charging us for the campaign or story mode lol 8).

Chris_Watters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8 Chris_Watters
Member since 2007 • 454 Posts

I'm not sure how I feel about paying to unlock things on a disc I already bought, but consider this counterpoint: A friend of mine has a 20 GB hard drive that he's gradually filled up with saves, arcade games, Rock Band tracks, etc. Now his drive is getting pretty dang close to full and he's dreading having to buy a 120 GB drive, because those things are pricy. He got RE5 for his birthday and is really enjoying it, and is psyched to play the new versus mode. In his case, it's actually better that the content is already on the disc. For a nominal fee, he can enjoy expanded content (which is what DLC is) without having to sacrifice his precious hard drive space.

I'm as wary as the next gamer about the precedent set by charging for content already on the disc, but I recognize there are times when this can actually be a good thing. You can fit a hell of a lot on a game disc these days, so why shouldn't developers use some of this space for their planned "DLC"? Their game will still be reviewed independently of this content, like any other game with DLC, and when they do "release" the extra content, players won't have to give up more space to a game they've already bought at retail. Hard drive space is a resource in its own right. Does anyone bristle at the fact that publishers are demanding not only your cash dollars, but a share of your storage resources as well?

Avatar image for JayQproductions
JayQproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JayQproductions
Member since 2007 • 1806 Posts

yes the content is already on the disc, but if you want to get technical every DLC you have ever downloaded was already on the disc of the game you bought it for, take Fallout 3 for example, the pitt was already on the disc in the form of character models, items, and enviroment textures, your just downloading a code telling those things where to go and how to act with exception to the new weapons armor and so on that bethesda added so yes the resident evil multiplayer is already on the disk but that is only because it barrows the characters maps items and etc.. from story/merc's mode, you still need that code telling the things on the disc to act a certain way

Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#10 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts
i could have told you that. you shelled out a whole 60 bucks for the game and they further insult you by making you pay for on disc content. disgusting, isn't it?
alexgu20002000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 alexgu20002000
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Hmm...all the money for the DLC.

TGL88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TGL88
Member since 2007 • 360 Posts

Thing that pisses me off is that the Capcom reps try to tip toe around the subject by saying some crap about 'oh it what outside the scope of the game blah blah" really? I find it amazing that the team was able to do this whole new "out of scope" project and make it just under 2MB. Hey i shouldn't care though i didn't like RE5 anyways. I guess people can enjoying slowly roatating towards shooting someone.

DranzarTypeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DranzarTypeF

Board Admin, you'd be surprised at the amount of things game developers take out a month or two before a game comes out in stores, I can also garuantee you that all characters and costumes etc. that are available via DLC were already on the prototype disc and taken out before launch...JUST TO MAKE A FEW EXTRA DOLLARS OFF IT.:P

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts
Game developers read this: how would you feel if everybody started getting involved with downloading the games illegally? if you pull stuff off like this and rip us off, why can't we do the same?
stiltzsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 stiltzsy
Member since 2008 • 1486 Posts

Board Admin, you'd be surprised at the amount things game developers take out a week or two before a game comes out in stores, all characters and costumes etc. that are available via DLC were, i garuantee you, were already on the prototype disc and taken out before launch...JUST TO MAKE A FEW EXTRA DOLLARS OFF IT.

DranzarTypeF
And now CAPCOM has gotten lazy by including the content on the disk and then charge to unlock it. At least the others took it out of the game so we could pretend like its new content they made after they released the game. This is so obviously blatant rip-off it's not funny. At the very least they should put a warning on the box that not all game content on the disc is playable unless you pay an additional fee to unlock it. If I bought RE5 I'd return it to the store saying there's content on the disc that they can't access and you didn't agree to pay $5 more to play everything on the disc when you bought it.
Narroo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Narroo
Member since 2006 • 2165 Posts

I'm not sure how I feel about paying to unlock things on a disc I already bought, but consider this counterpoint: A friend of mine has a 20 GB hard drive that he's gradually filled up with saves, arcade games, Rock Band tracks, etc. Now his drive is getting pretty dang close to full and he's dreading having to buy a 120 GB drive, because those things are pricy. He got RE5 for his birthday and is really enjoying it, and is psyched to play the new versus mode. In his case, it's actually better that the content is already on the disc. For a nominal fee, he can enjoy expanded content (which is what DLC is) without having to sacrifice his precious hard drive space.

I'm as wary as the next gamer about the precedent set by charging for content already on the disc, but I recognize there are times when this can actually be a good thing. You can fit a hell of a lot on a game disc these days, so why shouldn't developers use some of this space for their planned "DLC"? Their game will still be reviewed independently of this content, like any other game with DLC, and when they do "release" the extra content, players won't have to give up more space to a game they've already bought at retail. Hard drive space is a resource in its own right. Does anyone bristle at the fact that publishers are demanding not only your cash dollars, but a share of your storage resources as well?

Chris_Watters

Your logic is flawed dear sir! While it is nice not having to waste HDD space on DLC, the issue here is that the content in question ISN'T DLC. It's already there, and if we had gamesharks for these systems we could play it as we pleased. Think: what if you bought a lawnmower? What if it came with a nice overdrive mode? But suppose that the nice attachment was chained up, and then the person you bought it from told you that they'd sell you the key, otherwise you could use it. You'd say, ludicrious, I bought it, I should be able to use the features that come inside of it.

Now here is the same thing, but the items are digital, so we are blind folded.

I have more to say, but I gotta go.....

nukefarmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nukefarmer
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Wow this is the same lvl of ea charging for cheats in the new nfs

stiltzsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 stiltzsy
Member since 2008 • 1486 Posts
[QUOTE="Narroo"]

[QUOTE="Chris_Watters"]

Your logic is flawed dear sir! While it is nice not having to waste HDD space on DLC, the issue here is that the content in question ISN'T DLC. It's already there, and if we had gamesharks for these systems we could play it as we pleased. Think: what if you bought a lawnmower? What if it came with a nice overdrive mode? But suppose that the nice attachment was chained up, and then the person you bought it from told you that they'd sell you the key, otherwise you could use it. You'd say, ludicrious, I bought it, I should be able to use the features that come inside of it.

Software companies have been doing this for years. Pinnacle Software does it big time. It's movie editor software and it loads a ton of add-in effects that you can't use unless you hack (steal them) or pay to use them. So in this case a gameshark would be considered illegal. While I agree it's bogus that capcom did this...WITHOUT prior notice that you can't play all the content on the disk without additional fees. And that's where they are wrong. At least other software companies are smart enough to warn the consumer that not all features are available without additional fees. Heck even MS did this with Vista...based on the license key entered you get certain parts of vista. So it's not bad that they include additional content on the disc, but they don't tell you about it is wrong.
rattleheadxyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rattleheadxyz
Member since 2008 • 677 Posts

I always hear about game developers checking forums frequently to keep their finger on the pulse of gamers so I really hope that people from Capcom are paying attention to this thread and others like it.

Capcom, listen up: People generally do not like paying for things they already own, it doesn't matter that it's only $5, it's the principle of the thing.

Have you ever heard, "Yesterday Ipaid formytoaster again, sure I already paid for it in full but if I wanna toast my Pop-Tarts I have to pay a little more for the luxury, oh well!" No, and there's a damn good reason for that. Capcom needs tocome back down to planet earth and stop trying to screw the gamers responsible for their success. Yeesh!

DranzarTypeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DranzarTypeF

I have more to say, but I gotta go.....Narroo

Smart Kid 8), the moral of the story here is that always keep the little things you see during the demo in mind, cause often times that content isn't there when you purchase the game. Also the gaming community will continue to suffer with this issue because sooner or later they'll start charging you for the storymode or campaign.

mlbslugger86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#21 mlbslugger86
Member since 2004 • 12867 Posts

ha..well that sucks

Dlc is good but in this case its just a way to suck more money out of us

iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts

Wow this is the same lvl of ea charging for cheats in the new nfs

nukefarmer
they also did that with skate 2 :(

this is just wrong. it should of had either been playable on the start or make it free to download. i'm not going to download this just because of that. the game has only been arounf for a month now. which is another reason why i'm going to buy it.
djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 djrobst
Member since 2007 • 2404 Posts
i hate this type of dlc - it gives all the good dlc out there a bad name i like single player but to be honest even if it was included with the original game i wouldnt really play it, as the flow of gameplay suits campain only , multiplayer would be dire
Rev3nger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Rev3nger
Member since 2006 • 1127 Posts

I generally don't like the idea of DLC, but this kind of DLC is just plain ludicrous.

The only kind of DLC that can be tolerated is the one that requires the developers to work after releasing the game, creating new content. In that case, the extra price is justified by the extra work expended by the developers.

In this case, however, it boils down to a scheme made to raise the revenue from the game without that extra effort by the developers. Next thing you know they'll be charging extra if you want to play the last level. Or if you want a machine gun instead of a pistol.

I am of the opinion that we, as gamers, should not condone this behaviour.

raylewisnfl52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 raylewisnfl52
Member since 2005 • 7146 Posts
yeah its crap that its already on there and they are charging people, I wouldnt ever buy it
Englando_IV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Englando_IV
Member since 2008 • 4334 Posts

[QUOTE="Chris_Watters"]

Narroo

But when you bought the lawnmower, you didn't know it had this feature. It played no factor in the price you payed for it, you were perfectly satisfied with it when you bought it. You find out later about the extra feature that you can unlock if you pay an extra $5. It's not necessary, and the feature is somewhat minor, but you were happy before you knew about it and can decide whether or not you want to pay for it.

DranzarTypeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DranzarTypeF

[QUOTE="Narroo"]

[QUOTE="Chris_Watters"]

Englando_IV

But when you bought the lawnmower, you didn't know it had this feature. It played no factor in the price you payed for it, you were perfectly satisfied with it when you bought it. You find out later about the extra feature that you can unlock if you pay an extra $5. It's not necessary, and the feature is somewhat minor, but you were happy before you knew about it and can decide whether or not you want to pay for it.

EXCEPT the feature isn't minor, it's a whole new component of the lawnmower, and you were wondering were it was before because you've seen it on previous lawnmoyers made by the same company :D

Englando_IV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Englando_IV
Member since 2008 • 4334 Posts

[QUOTE="Englando_IV"]

[QUOTE="Narroo"]

DranzarTypeF

EXCEPT the feature isn't minor, it's a whole new component of the lawnmower, and you were wondering were it was before because you've seen it on previous lawnmoyers made by the same company :D

No, actually, you've never seen it before on lawn mowers made by the same company.

Resident Evil has never had multiplayer.

DranzarTypeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DranzarTypeF

[QUOTE="DranzarTypeF"]

[QUOTE="Englando_IV"]

Englando_IV

No, actually, you've never seen it before on lawn mowers made by the same company.

Resident Evil has never had multiplayer.

IN THAT CASE ! it's a toss up on wether or not you should pay lol. 8)

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#30 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
I'm not buying this anymore, it's crap. 400 points for this? I have it all ready to go but I'll use it on RB 2 DLC
Dinotron214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Dinotron214
Member since 2008 • 117 Posts

Yeah that doesnt surprise me they were talking about VS mode since the game came out. i thought its been out! i sold my copy for more than i paid for it because i was upset when i heard the news.

TheSilverArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 TheSilverArrow
Member since 2006 • 93 Posts

Chris_Watters

It says your an admin so you probably know most of what youre talking about. Your sure that the character models and items and everything for the Pitt were already on the disc? Im not so sure about that.

Ultimate Team was certainly not already on FIFA 09 - and the Oblivion expansions are also not anywhere on the disc. I bet theres truth both ways.

But weird find and a totally good topic and one we should all get to the bottom of.

Otherwise yes, they wil start charging for the campaign, lol.

Foxtrot561

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 Foxtrot561
Member since 2009 • 494 Posts

That sucks. I'm not buying, I was planning on it but not anymore.

The only way I would buy the DLC is if it came with new outfits, ora Seperate Ways for Josh (Like they did with Ada in RE4).

Foxtrot561

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 Foxtrot561
Member since 2009 • 494 Posts

What next? For RE6, will Capcom release an empty disk in which you must download all content for another $60?

perry933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 perry933
Member since 2007 • 621 Posts

What a Crock!!!!!

stringer4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 stringer4
Member since 2006 • 674 Posts

yes the content is already on the disc, but if you want to get technical every DLC you have ever downloaded was already on the disc of the game you bought it for, take Fallout 3 for example, the pitt was already on the disc in the form of character models, items, and enviroment textures, your just downloading a code telling those things where to go and how to act with exception to the new weapons armor and so on that bethesda added so yes the resident evil multiplayer is already on the disk but that is only because it barrows the characters maps items and etc.. from story/merc's mode, you still need that code telling the things on the disc to act a certain way

JayQproductions

sorry, but I think you are wrong. Sure the basic game codeis allready on the disc, but DLC is called DOWNLOADABLE content for reason. When you buy a rock band song, the 5 note system is still in the game, but is the song allready on the disc before you bought it? You see, the whole buisness behind any entertainment is thatyou make something using money, and then hope toearn more then you used. Thats whyevery weekharmonixputs out tracks. They just worked hard and bought the license for the song, but now they are goingto earn 5X as much moneyas they speny. Since this RE5 mode was done and puton thedisc before the game came out , the same resourcesthat were used to make the regular campain were also used tomake the versus mode.Theversus mode is not DLC, its on game contentthat you (the consumer) just payed for by buying the disc. If capcom really felt that the one mode cost so much to produce, they should ofjust priced the game at 65 dollars at retail. But that would be silly, wouldnt it. :)

armyman455

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 armyman455
Member since 2008 • 914 Posts

the way i see it is we pay 60 bucks for a brand new game, thats frikin expensive compared to how games used to be and on top of that i think if we pay for the game we shouldnt have to pay for everything that comes with it i think all DLC should be free i mean were already dropping plenty of cash to buy their game to begin with, now developers are holding back on purpose to get more money for each games so some games you spend 70-90 bucks for the FULL game that hsould have been there to begin with

damaster101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 damaster101
Member since 2005 • 1476 Posts

Dodgy c****.

dinb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 dinb
Member since 2003 • 1185 Posts
Yes, they should have included it in the price of the single player game. But, you do not own the MP mode until you pay for it.
orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#40 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
I was considering buying it. but not now. thanks for the warning!
ceells87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ceells87
Member since 2007 • 386 Posts

I bought it and it's awesome. I've been playing it with my friends for a couple hours now. And for $5 it's a steal. Idk why people complain about this. It was developed after the initial game was created and did take extra time and resources to create. They could have just blown it out of their minds and not cared but instead they charged a very small fee compared to other dlc on xbox live. If it was some Microsoft owned company that did it i probably wouldnt have bought it but Capcom has given me some of the best games I have ever played so contributing a few extra bucks to them isnt that big a deal.

Dawq902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#42 Dawq902
Member since 2007 • 6796 Posts

That is ridiculous. I will still be getting it though, along with the halo maps.

I just ahve to let you guys know that me and my friend beat chapter 5-3 (Jill and Wesker battle) only dieing 24xs. It was some insane teamwork and amazing dodging skills by me. Never again will I do that level on professional. Only have 2-3 and all 6 to go :) hopefully we will beat it tomorrow. That troll is really hard.

gr8scott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 gr8scott
Member since 2003 • 1008 Posts
Excellent find Sophette! I'm not going to spend money on something that I've already payed for. Versus mode is on the RE5 disc, it's NOT Downloadable content. It can't be DLC when the content is already on your $60 disc. This as well as finding out about the SF4 costumes has really lowered my opinion about Capcom. This is very cheap. The stuff they want you to pay IS NOT DLC! So why are they charging you for dlc if in fact you already have it on your disc? Also to top it off, it's just versus multiplayer. Halo 3, COD, Gears of War didn't charge for versus multiplayer. What makes Capcom so special that they feel the need to charge you for something you already bought? This dlc isn't something like "the lost chapters" from RE4. I would have considered buying DLC that expands the story or allows you to play as Jill in her own missions or something or even if you can play as Jill and Chris when they were hunting down Wesker at the Spencer Mansion. This dlc is ONLY another multiplayer option.
Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts
That is ****. You would think devs would have learned their lesson after the EA/Bad Company weapons fiasco.
nate_c-12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 nate_c-12
Member since 2008 • 3072 Posts
BOYCOTT P.O.S DLC!!!
SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#46 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

So now we're being charged to unlock content already on the disc?

My respect fot Capcom just took a nosedive.

p00phead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 p00phead
Member since 2007 • 1203 Posts

I kind of feel ripped off I had to pay $140 for the game where I live and now 400 ms points for the mp on the disc

Avatar image for deactivated-5f5404ad8217e
deactivated-5f5404ad8217e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5f5404ad8217e
Member since 2005 • 1637 Posts

well im defenitley not getting dlc now.

maaly81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#49 maaly81
Member since 2003 • 756 Posts
I agree....developers and XBL gouge your pockets for little stuff like that. instead of $64.64 games, they are making these $85-$100 games like Gears 2 and SF4
SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts

im offended at this, paying for dlc is pretty freakin ridiculous as it is in its current state.