Quick questions about hard drive data migration.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rickdom67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rickdom67
Member since 2005 • 67 Posts

Ok so I was running low on space on my old 20GB hard drive that I got when the 360 first came out so I figured the best thing to do would be to go ahead and buy a 120GB one to replace it. So I had trouble finding one anywere, in my town or online. However I finally found one on a website that sells through Amazon and it was a pretty good deal, only $120 new. Anyway I was under the impression that it came with the migration kit, anywho it got here and surprise no migration kit. So I called xbox support and they sold me one for $13. So now I'm surrently waiting for it to arrive, meanwhile I'be been thinking about a few things. First of all how safe if this transfer, does anyone know? Because I have 3 years worth of game saves, DLC, and my xbox live account on that old 20GB hard drive and if I somehow lost that I'd probably cry. Second of all how long will the transfer take? Also if anyone has done it before and has any tips for me I'll gladly accept them.

penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts
Its perfecctly safe. Obviously, as with any transfer of large amounts of data, there is a risk of things going wrong but its highly unlikely cause Ive never heard of anyone having this problem. The legnth of transfer will depend on how much data you've got, no more than an hour at most I would think
Avatar image for Soulreavercross
Soulreavercross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#3 Soulreavercross
Member since 2003 • 19890 Posts
Strange, I got a data migration kit when I ordered mine off amazon. Anyway it's safe but mind you, there is a small possibility you can lose some of the data during the transfer. They also tell you that before you start the process. I personally lost some data and save files when I did it about a year ago. Some of the save files I lost were unfortunately was Halo 3, Gears 1 and a few other saves. About the time it takes, I don't remember, I guess it depends on the amount of data you're transferring, it should take about an hour.
rickdom67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 rickdom67
Member since 2005 • 67 Posts

Ok thanks guys, guess I'm going to go ahead and do it when it gets here then, because I really need more space.

Avatar image for guitarsrock4eva
guitarsrock4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 guitarsrock4eva
Member since 2008 • 373 Posts
Why not get a memory card, put your most valued save files and DLC on that then transfer them to the new Hard Drive.