Question about online..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SaV_209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SaV_209
Member since 2009 • 126 Posts
I have a few questions. I'll be getting a 360, but before I do, I need to know a few things. I have a wireless connection. Once I sign up for Live and everything, will my wirless router get the signal of the 360 automatically, or will I need to buy an adapter. Also, even if I have a wirelss connection, can I buy a ethernet cord and hook it into my lap top straight into my 360? I kind of need to know.
msudude211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 msudude211
Member since 2006 • 44517 Posts
You need a wireless adapter for the 360 to recognize the wireless connection. I'm not sure about the laptop idea, though.
Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts
You'll need the 360 wireless adapter for it to connect wirelessly. The 360 comes with an Ethernet cord so you could use that as well.
penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts

people here could give you exactly the answer you need but dude dont worry, everything you need to know about getting your xbox online is in the manual that comes with the console, anything thats not in there you'll likely find on the xbox website

BUT to answer your question if you wanna connect wirelessly you need to first buy a wireless adapter for the xbox (one made for the xbox, pc ones wont work), plug it in, flick around til you find the option to create an xbox live gamertag, make one and add your gold subscription code ,,, erm thats it

as for connecting via ether net to your laptop NO you cant have your xbox connect to the net from another pc BUT you can plug the ethernet cable directly into your router if it has ports for ethernet cnnections on the (as most do) and the router will treat the xbox like a pc on the network

SaV_209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SaV_209
Let me put it simpler. Is there any way I can make my 360 work online without buying an adapter. I don't want to buy one since it is like $100. Can't I just plug it into the routers open ports?
penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts

Let me put it simpler. Is there any way I can make my 360 work online without buying an adapter. I don't want to buy one since it is like $100. Can't I just plug it into the routers open ports?SaV_209

I dont mean to sound a bit touchy but do you have an attention disorder? read my post again thats one of the things i wrote! sorry but theres no point asking a question thats been answered perfecly well

SaV_209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SaV_209
I didn't see your post when I posted mine.
Rohan1627

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Rohan1627
Member since 2007 • 142 Posts

I have a few questions. I'll be getting a 360, but before I do, I need to know a few things. I have a wireless connection. Once I sign up for Live and everything, will my wirless router get the signal of the 360 automatically, or will I need to buy an adapter. Also, even if I have a wirelss connection, can I buy a ethernet cord and hook it into my lap top straight into my 360? I kind of need to know. SaV_209

As far as the laptop goes, you need to create a network bridge, then if you connect the ethernet cable to the 360 and the laptop it will work. if you don't know how to make a network bridge you can youtube it.

Rohan1627

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Rohan1627
Member since 2007 • 142 Posts

people here could give you exactly the answer you need but dude dont worry, everything you need to know about getting your xbox online is in the manual that comes with the console, anything thats not in there you'll likely find on the xbox website

BUT to answer your question if you wanna connect wirelessly you need to first buy a wireless adapter for the xbox (one made for the xbox, pc ones wont work), plug it in, flick around til you find the option to create an xbox live gamertag, make one and add your gold subscription code ,,, erm thats it

as for connecting via ether net to your laptop NO you cant have your xbox connect to the net from another pc BUT you can plug the ethernet cable directly into your router if it has ports for ethernet cnnections on the (as most do) and the router will treat the xbox like a pc on the network

penpusher
don't listen to penpusher, I know for a fact that the laptop thing works, it's how i connect to xbl
grubes26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#10 grubes26
Member since 2008 • 88 Posts

[QUOTE="SaV_209"]I have a few questions. I'll be getting a 360, but before I do, I need to know a few things. I have a wireless connection. Once I sign up for Live and everything, will my wirless router get the signal of the 360 automatically, or will I need to buy an adapter. Also, even if I have a wirelss connection, can I buy a ethernet cord and hook it into my lap top straight into my 360? I kind of need to know. Rohan1627

As far as the laptop goes, you need to create a network bridge, then if you connect the ethernet cable to the 360 and the laptop it will work. if you don't know how to make a network bridge you can youtube it.

i've tried this and it does work, if you don't know how to create the bridge here are two websites that tell you how to do it. this one is for if you have vista, http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-us/help/785e46b1-f445-4bd3-93bd-1235ba2e146d1033.mspx and this one is if you have xp, http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/wxpbrdge.html hope this helps
xXmeatwad225Xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 xXmeatwad225Xx
Member since 2006 • 1553 Posts
You can buy a wireless adapter that was made for the original XBox. It works the exact same and is at most half the price of the 360 adapter.