playing games while downloading stuff

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by destinhpark (4831 posts) -

Does anyone have any idea which games you can play while downloading a large file? I've tried countless games and they all stop the download... The only one that I can play while downloading something is GTA IV, but I don't really feel like playing that. Can anyone shoot me a few titles that are playable while downloading stuff?

Thanks!

#2 Posted by chaoscougar1 (37597 posts) -
as most games have an xbox live component, they stop the download in order in to prevent lag
#3 Posted by destinhpark (4831 posts) -

ugh, yeah. i even tried oblivion and lego HP and it stopped me! it's insane...

#4 Posted by Xeros606 (11126 posts) -
Only small games, like some of the XBL games will let you play while downloading. It's because the system needs memory to transfer data during a download, and pretty much all Xbox 360 games are made to utilize as much memory as they can.
#5 Posted by chaoscougar1 (37597 posts) -

ugh, yeah. i even tried oblivion and lego HP and it stopped me! it's insane...

destinhpark
with SP games, i dont understand it, dont think it can be changed though :(
#6 Posted by Xeogua (1542 posts) -

If you have it, I'm pretty sure Trials HD will let you.

#7 Posted by MassiveKaos (3876 posts) -

huh? I play alot of single player games while downloading demos....

Fifa 10 comes off the top of my head im always playing my manager mode while dowloading things and with no problem.

#8 Posted by XXGamerfanXX (1066 posts) -

I think the only games that would make you stop If you go online (Xbox live gaming). I Download stuff half the time, and while I play SVR 2010 (single player only), It works like charm.

#9 Posted by Urban_Flow (721 posts) -
[QUOTE="destinhpark"]

Does anyone have any idea which games you can play while downloading a large file? I've tried countless games and they all stop the download... The only one that I can play while downloading something is GTA IV, but I don't really feel like playing that. Can anyone shoot me a few titles that are playable while downloading stuff?

Thanks!

Any arcade game will support that just do'nt go online when playing the game though cuz it will stop the download.
#10 Posted by DJ_Magneto (4675 posts) -
I know you're asking about games to play while downloading. I get that...But, if you don't want to wait for a large download, set your console to auto shut down after a download. Start the download before you go to bed and turn off the console while it is still downloading. The console will not shut down completely. It will be in somewhat of a standby mode while it continues to download the file. When the download is complete, the console will then shut down.
#11 Posted by firefox59 (4530 posts) -

Huh, actually most of my demos DL while I'm playing a game...

#12 Posted by Ashley_wwe (13412 posts) -

I think the only games that would make you stop If you go online (Xbox live gaming). I Download stuff half the time, and while I play SVR 2010 (single player only), It works like charm.

XXGamerfanXX
Probably just me, but I am pretty sure my download stopped every time as soon as I got to the "press a button" screen...
#13 Posted by thequietguy (2160 posts) -
I played Perfect dark Zero when DLing a game when it said the game stopped . I was like fk but keep playing, and after an hour it told me I finished DLing the game. I guess it started up again after a while.
#14 Posted by Agent_Kaliaver (4722 posts) -

XXGamerfanXX

It depends on the game. I think you can't download stuff while playing Crackdown because that game is always connected to the online (unless you have no internet connection...) because of the ability for people to join mid game. So some games that can be played single player still can't download.

#15 Posted by KC_Hokie (16099 posts) -
You can download while playing single player games but not multiplayer. I'm glad it doesn't allow players to play online while downloading because it wouldn't be fair to the other players to have a lag fest.