Picked up an X last week (first impressions)

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Messy (ugly) interface but really slick and easy to get everything done.

Fast and responsive, backwards compatibility is excellent, popped in a disk, it downloads an update and you're off playing last gen games. Impressive.

Internet connectivity is fast and responsive, Hulu runs great even while doing downloads in the background.

About to pick up 2 years of gold for the Gold->Ultimate deal, Gamepass is a wonderful deal and I love the Gears series and anything that's set in a sci-fi universe.

Everything looks great on my 1080p TV.

You can say alot of unflattering things about Microsoft ; their interfaces are ugly, they have no sense of style or taste, but they sure know how to build an OS, and they know how to run servers. I actually feel safe putting in my credit card information.

After the PSN hack a few years ago, I will never trust them with my data, Sony is generally incompetent, I wouldn't even buy a Sony TV in 2019, it's probably shit just like all of their other products. A long time ago (70's and 80's) Sony was a premium brand like Samsung is today, now if I saw 2 products side by side, a Sony and an LG, I'd get the LG.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

@ZombieKiller7: There no real point in an x1x unless you have a 4k tv.... thats when you actually appreciate what 4k is. I'd been using 4k Netflix on my TV, and struggled to see any difference between what I was watching and 1080p. Once I got the x1x, I popped in a few UHD movies and Docs, and was blown away....games in 4k really popped with HDR, but especially with Dolby Vision. Stunning.

Went on holiday, and took the x1x to use on the caravan's 1080p set, and the difference was depressing.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7231 Posts

I have an S at the moment but it's a dead system in my opinion. To play halo infinite I'm thinking an X is the least it should be played on. Halo infinite is probably the last 1st party game on the current systems.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Perhaps a month or two a local WM had older yet new X1X's for the same price as X1S which was $249.99. It was tempting but ultimately not justifiable.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7231 Posts

I was thinking of getting an x to simple play halo. Probably £100 for an s if I'm lucky. But with the Scarlett possibly holiday 2020 it's hard to justify for one game.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

What a waste of money.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ZombieKiller7

@sealionact said:

@ZombieKiller7: There no real point in an x1x unless you have a 4k tv.... thats when you actually appreciate what 4k is. I'd been using 4k Netflix on my TV, and struggled to see any difference between what I was watching and 1080p. Once I got the x1x, I popped in a few UHD movies and Docs, and was blown away....games in 4k really popped with HDR, but especially with Dolby Vision. Stunning.

Went on holiday, and took the x1x to use on the caravan's 1080p set, and the difference was depressing.

The S was $190, the X was $259, I couldn't justify the S with that small a price difference.

Not to mention that the S was white, and clashed with my furniture.

It's basically for my bedroom, because my computer chair give me bad posture/bad back.

Avatar image for redviperofdorne
redviperofdorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 123

#8 redviperofdorne
Member since 2016 • 491 Posts

With Scarlett coming out soon enough, I can't justify buying a One X but I'm glad it works fantastic for you. You should definitely get a 4K tv though to really take advantage of it as there will be a pretty noticeable difference.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#9 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

@redviperofdorne said:

With Scarlett coming out soon enough, I can't justify buying a One X but I'm glad it works fantastic for you. You should definitely get a 4K tv though to really take advantage of it as there will be a pretty noticeable difference.

As I was going to state basically the same answer.

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

@Random_Matt said:

What a waste of money.

I'm sure I could find a lot of things you purchase that I would consider a waste of money!

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@ZombieKiller7: PSN was hacked almost 10 years ago lol, along with a ton of different companies and they haven't been since.

Also sucks you wont buy other Sony products as I've personally found them to be rock solid. I have a. 32 inch Sony SDTV from 2006 that is still working perfectly (its now my tv for my retro systems) and a Sony 47 inch HDTV from 2013 for my newer consoles that has also been rock solid. Other tv's in our house have come and gone (even a LG HDTV that didnt last long).

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Yeah the interface and menus need an overhaul. I found the menus a bit laggy as well. However it's just about my only complaint.

The backwards compatibility is extremely well done. I've seen people sell 'remasters' with less effort put into them. I believe MS has set a standard that the rest of the industry should work towards.

Many games also support cross-saves with PC which is an awesome feature.

Build quality is good too. Most other consoles feel like cheapy plastic.

Unfortunately there's just not much reason for me to use it outside of backwards compatibility since I also have a gaming PC in the living room.

I keep saying this - but MS would do well to allow Windows apps on the thing. If I could run my Steam library on it the X1X would be a great choice for a low-cost gaming HTPC - a no-brainer.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ZombieKiller7

@pyro1245 said:

I keep saying this - but MS would do well to allow Windows apps on the thing. If I could run my Steam library on it the X1X would be a great choice for a low-cost gaming HTPC - a no-brainer.

Lots of people don't know this but you can stream Windows to Xbox over wifi, it doesn't work if one is on physical cat 5, they both have to be connected to the same router over wifi, then you do Windows Key + P and run an app on the Xbox called "Wireless Display." You can run games on Steam and play them on your Xbox. (keyboard and mouse don't work, only controller.)

You can also remote control your Xbox with smartglass, so it's like a TV remote for hulu and stuff.

Xbox One X makes an awesome bedroom HTPC.

Hell even Sony is getting in on the act, I was playing Infamous today on my PC using an Xbox controller over PS NOW.

Eventually the hardware won't matter and you'll be able to play anything anywhere in hi-rez, even portable like a tablet, like imagine playing WoW on the metro on an 11 inch tablet, the raid leader will be like "hang on guys, this is my stop."

Having a 50 pound iron box on your desk is so 1985.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@ZombieKiller7: That all sounds awful.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ZombieKiller7

@vfighter said:

Specifically what sounds awful? What are you talking about?

Avatar image for deactivated-5efed3ebc2180
deactivated-5efed3ebc2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deactivated-5efed3ebc2180
Member since 2006 • 923 Posts

@ZombieKiller7 said:
@vfighter said:

Specifically what sounds awful? What are you talking about?

I'd bet s/he meant that streaming shit (your whole post)...

/EDIT: ...or your lack of knowledge about TV's/monitors. Especially LG vs SONY.

/EDIT#2: ...or your belief that only SONY gets "hacks and leaks". All the big companies get hacked, but they won't tell you about it. Most recent example? NordVPN.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

i love my xbox one x i buy it last june fantastic console

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

This thread got invaded by cows & hermits, and the sometimes a cow, sometimes a hermit lol.