This topic is locked from further discussion.

lord-azrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 lord-azrael
Member since 2005 • 2452 Posts
When I got Half life 2 years ago I thought "This is the future,this is what games are going to be like in the future,beautiful graphics combined with the best physics ever seen"
I expected with due time that all games would achieve this standard when it came to physics and hw much it reacts with the world around it,so you can imagine my excitement when 360 was announced,this was the future,the time when all games will have glorious physics with corpses flying everywhere.Yet so far we havent really seen much done with physics on the 360(even on PC for that matter) except saints row which I do admit is a physics masterpiece and makes best use of physics on the 360.So I have to admit that im disappointed.So my question is do you personnaly think game developers have done enough with physics considering all the power in the 360 and current day PC's? and do you think a game will come out for the 360 that beats HL2's physics before HL2 itself makes it over to the 360 later this year?I dont think we will see a game with physics that good until Half life 2
JrodM121768

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 JrodM121768
Member since 2002 • 25 Posts
Alan wake, Unreal 3, Halo 3 should all have great physics. I am 100% sure that alan wake will have great physics as it is a dx10 showcase game kinda like Crysis cept crysis won't be coming to 360.
lord-azrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lord-azrael
Alan wake, Unreal 3, Halo 3 should all have great physics. I am 100% sure that alan wake will have great physics as it is a dx10 showcase game kinda like Crysis cept crysis won't be coming to 360.JrodM121768

I hear Halo 3 is on a modified halo 2 engine which I hope is a lie as that game's physics sucked and I cant see how modifiying a engine can improve physics that much,then again could be wrong,there are rumours that Half life 2's source engine is a modified Half life 1 engine with Havok 2 features implemented
lodlod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lodlod
Member since 2006 • 695 Posts
oblivion had some pretty cool physics although nothing compared to hl2...
Matmoo_Wii60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Matmoo_Wii60
Member since 2006 • 361 Posts
Oblivion has rubbish physics, I got hold of a book and tossed it across the room, as it went, it launched itself into the air and hit the ceiling! The glitches in the game don't make the phsics any better either, like when you hold something above someone on a bed, whatever you are holding has a physics spazm...
coughlanio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 coughlanio
Member since 2005 • 4306 Posts
[QUOTE="JrodM121768"]Alan wake, Unreal 3, Halo 3 should all have great physics. I am 100% sure that alan wake will have great physics as it is a dx10 showcase game kinda like Crysis cept crysis won't be coming to 360.lord-azrael

I hear Halo 3 is on a modified halo 2 engine which I hope is a lie as that game's physics sucked and I cant see how modifiying a engine can improve physics that much,then again could be wrong,there are rumours that Half life 2's source engine is a modified Half life 1 engine with Havok 2 features implemented

Half Life 1 ran on the Quake engine, Half Life 2 runs on the Source engine, very different...
lord-azrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lord-azrael
[QUOTE="lord-azrael"][QUOTE="JrodM121768"]Alan wake, Unreal 3, Halo 3 should all have great physics. I am 100% sure that alan wake will have great physics as it is a dx10 showcase game kinda like Crysis cept crysis won't be coming to 360.havokmaster

Half Life 1 ran on the Quake engine, Half Life 2 runs on the Source engine, very different...

yes I know that,look for source engine on wiki,it talks about how the source engine rumoured to be built from the half life 1 engine which as you said is a modified quake 3 engine,and this is the conclusion from modders as I admit I know Jack about how it all works. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_engine here the page

Although Valve has explicitly stated that the Source engine has been built internally from the ground up, rumors and myths persist that it is instead merely derived from the original Quake codebase via Valve's GoldSrc offshoot. The primary reasons for this are the manner in which the engine uses similar development interfaces to GoldSrc (to aid transitioning developers), and John Carmack's comment on his blog that "there are still bits of early Quake code in Half-Life 2",  expanded through hearsay to be a confirmation that large swathes of code are identical, when no such conclusion can be drawn from the statement. There remains no solid proof that Source is derived from the GoldSrc codebase — and indeed, given the fact that the 2003 code leak did not produce any such claims it can only be assumed that no incriminating evidence was to be found.

However, it is known that Source was developed part-by-part, slowly replacing the GoldSrc engine in Valve's internal projects. This explains its modular nature, and suggests that, even if Source was not derived from GoldSrc, GoldSrc was at the very least modified to plug into it during development.

PS I found this section quite amusing,even my PC wouldnt be able to hack it and mine plays Medieval 2 on full everything.

With color correction and film grain already released, Valve intends to add other cinematic effects such as motion blur and depth of field to Source when hardware is able to render it to their satisfaction. The effects are accomplished with an frame rate of thirty frames per second, a video card is required to produce between six hundred and nine hundred frames per second. This causes late 2005-era hardware to require a full two seconds to render each frame. 
lord-azrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lord-azrael
guess im alone in wanting next gen physics and not graphics.
Master-blobby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Master-blobby
Member since 2007 • 528 Posts
I think rb6 has awsome physics just look how the bodies fly when you throw a grenade it's quite impressive.
lord-azrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lord-azrael
I think rb6 has awsome physics just look how the bodies fly when you throw a grenade it's quite impressive.Master-blobby

yeah but they go solid after being still for a while
Flop_DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Flop_DMC
Member since 2006 • 875 Posts
Alan wake, Unreal 3, Halo 3 should all have great physics. I am 100% sure that alan wake will have great physics as it is a dx10 showcase game kinda like Crysis cept crysis won't be coming to 360.JrodM121768
i doubt unreal 3 and halo 3 will have the same depth of physics as hl2. even if they have the same depth (which they very well could, certainly no reason why not), what made hl2 special was its reliance on physics. there were so many puzzles u figured out by using physics, whereas halo series hasnt had any real puzzles, just pure action. unreal 3 doesnt seem to exhibit anymore physics than gears did (which really isnt surprising at all). crysis looks good from physics standpoint, but its all in how much the game uses them. im betting that u wont see another shooter rely on physics as much as hl2 and its episodes til hl3. ps. crysis hasnt been announced for 360 yet, but more than likely some form of this game will come to it. maybe even the ps3 as well.
Flop_DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Flop_DMC
Member since 2006 • 875 Posts
[QUOTE="lord-azrael"][QUOTE="JrodM121768"]Alan wake, Unreal 3, Halo 3 should all have great physics. I am 100% sure that alan wake will have great physics as it is a dx10 showcase game kinda like Crysis cept crysis won't be coming to 360.havokmaster

i thought it was the quake 2 engine.
Avatar image for SicsStringFreak
SicsStringFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SicsStringFreak
Member since 2003 • 1679 Posts
actually crytek has announced a crysis for the 360, running off an upgraded optimized dx9 architech.
JrodM121768

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JrodM121768
Member since 2002 • 25 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OF9qoWKNbA&mode=related&search=
Its a video of Alan Wake. Around the end it will show some of the physics the game will use.
SilV3RSix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15 SilV3RSix
Member since 2002 • 1722 Posts
[QUOTE="Master-blobby"]I think rb6 has awsome physics just look how the bodies fly when you throw a grenade it's quite impressive.lord-azrael

yeah but they go solid after being still for a while

It's called 'rigor mortis'
lord-azrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lord-azrael
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OF9qoWKNbA&mode=related&search=
Its a video of Alan Wake. Around the end it will show some of the physics the game will use.
JrodM121768

the guy keeps saying "this is the power of quad core,this simply couldnt happen on a single core"
So does that mean it will run best on quad core(obviously)but can it also be played on due core as he never mentions if that could run it,just keeps blabbering on bout Quad core not singe core
GAMBINO808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GAMBINO808
Member since 2005 • 509 Posts

just give it time it will come trust me

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=17055&type=wmv&pl=game

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=17054&type=wmv&pl=game

zero9167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 zero9167
Member since 2005 • 14554 Posts
the new star wars game looks like its the next source engine to me
lord-azrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lord-azrael
the new star wars game looks like its the next source engine to mezero9167

the leaked clip?if so then yes that looks amazing and im hoping that clip is ingame not a lame cutscene
lord-azrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lord-azrael

just give it time it will come trust me

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=17055&type=wmv&pl=game

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=17054&type=wmv&pl=game

GAMBINO808

now that is what im on about,none of this
"Oblivion has nice physics"
no people Oblivion has acceptable physics,the links above is the sort of stuff I was on aboutIt looks alot like the extra features they adding to the source engine where you can script destruction on a grand scale,anyone who seen the bridge collapsing on the episode 2 trailer will know what I on about
LoserMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LoserMike
Member since 2003 • 4915 Posts
Probably with Unreal Tournament 3 and Half-Life 2 Episodes 1&2 plus Team Fortress & Portal will show good physics.

Personally I believe that PC games will have good physics with console games with good physics not coming until 2k8. Usually new innovative technology is on the PC first and then it's put on console games. Though sport and racing games should have the most realistic physics. I still can't understand why in basketball games the ballers skate on the court.
GameArtGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GameArtGuy
Member since 2006 • 845 Posts
One thing a lot of people dont realize is that many games have very realistic physics. FEAR, SplinterCell, CrackDown, Gears all have amazing physics... but Half Life 2's gameplay was so set around moving things around because at points that was your only weapon. There are plenty of glitches in Half Life 2's physics, but since you are suppose to use objects, and you throw so much stuff it seems like the physics are even more amazing. Honestly I think CrackDown already has better physics than Half Life 2, but the game it not focussed around it as much. First game i think will use physics like HL2, and do it better will be Half Life 2 Orange.
danneswegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 danneswegman
Member since 2005 • 12937 Posts
guess im alone in wanting next gen physics and not graphics.lord-azrael
i want both.
HelpItPlease

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 HelpItPlease
Member since 2006 • 589 Posts
Watch the tech demos for the new star wars game. They're going to have realistic environmental interactions. Metal will dent, wood will splinter, glass will shatter. It should be interesting to see what they'll be able to do with stuff like that.
danneswegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 danneswegman
Member since 2005 • 12937 Posts
Watch the tech demos for the new star wars game. They're going to have realistic environmental interactions. Metal will dent, wood will splinter, glass will shatter. It should be interesting to see what they'll be able to do with stuff like that.HelpItPlease
exactly: Star Wars-The Force Unleashed
Rossdaboss777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 Rossdaboss777
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts
the new battlefield bad commpany is running on one of the most advanced physics acoding to egm and 90% of the envirment will be desturctible
Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts

guess im alone in wanting next gen physics and not graphics.lord-azrael

I like games to have cool physics like crackdown. It has some cool physics, perhaps not realistic, but cool none the less. Now the only problem is if games have great amazing physics they may not use it. That is actually what made Half-Life 2s physics so awesome, it was because the way they used them with the game.

Games can have ok physics like Splinter Cell CT (i haven't played the new one so i wouldn't know about it) but if you really only see the when someone dies what is the point of having them (when you throw someone off a ledge or down stairs is really the only time you notice it in SC). HL2 on the other hand made the physics an essential part of the game.

Now while some will say how glichy or bad Oblivions physics were with holding things, i would say........ atleast they have physics. Consider GTA....... if you hit somebody with a car (can't remember if this still happened with SA) they would automatically go underneath the car. it didn't matter if you hit them while they were above you car it would shove them under it so you could get the bloody wheels. The game had no good physics, but if it did and they were crap i would rather have the crappy physics then none. I mean if you hit someone while they where above the hood and then they flew like half way across the map or somehow phased through the car and the bounced off the ground.... yea i would take those. While the reviewers would down that it would be nice to see the game actually have a physics engine.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f033ecf40fed
deactivated-5f033ecf40fed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 deactivated-5f033ecf40fed
Member since 2004 • 2665 Posts
Half-Life 2 didn't have better physics than any other game. Well... a lot of them yeah, but there are games with better physics than HL2. The difference is that HL2 used the physics as part of the game-play, making you more aware of them. SW: Force Unleashed might interest you. Look it up and check out the tech demos.