Phil Spencer new Xbox division boss

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by garfield360uk (20381 posts) -

So Phil Spencer is now the Xbox Division boss at Microsoft. He has said that he wants to have the core gamer needs served by the Xbox.

Link to Gamespot news story.

So what are your thoughts on this?

Avatar image for slimdogmilionar
#2 Posted by slimdogmilionar (972 posts) -

Good move, better than Elop because he won't be forced to manage a product that he doesn't believe in, Spencer will probably be more welcomed by gamers.

#3 Posted by wallacom (196 posts) -

I just hope he is gonna put MS money where his mouth is, and won't cave-in to the greed of shareholders.

#4 Posted by BattleSpectre (7989 posts) -

Makes me happy to hear. Whenever you hear "core gamers needs to be met" that's always a good thing.

#6 Posted by garfield360uk (20381 posts) -

It would be nice if Microsoft would support the Xbox One like they did with the original Xbox and Xbox 360 when it came out. It would be awesome to see new IP's or games like Banjo Kazooie come out on the new system. I guess time will tell though, but there are a few new titles around so I guess we could see new ideas.

#7 Posted by Gatman32 (493 posts) -

@Garfield360UK: I completely agree with the new IP's, but man I really want a new Conker and Shenmue.

I believe Shenmue would be a game changer, it kind if has taken up a cult following.

#8 Posted by garfield360uk (20381 posts) -

Oh yes, for sure a new Shenmue (or heck, even a upgrade of the first two) would be pretty sweet. Visiting older IP's would be nice like Alan Wake and Project Gotham Racing (for me at a personal level anyway as I loved both of those games on Xbox 360).

#9 Posted by Carl_W21 (2021 posts) -

He seems very interactive "community" wise and seems to appreciate gamer feedback.

He reads boards and stuff, it wouldn't surprise me if he checks in on GS.

Avatar image for thenephariouson
#10 Posted by thenephariouson (3964 posts) -

If he remains true to his conviction, then I say he would definitely be the right man for the job.

a Breath of fresh air : )

#11 Posted by Alucard_Prime (8769 posts) -

Very happy he got the job. I had seen him in interviews before and he was always about games, that background is good to have for the head of Xbox. I think Microsoft chose him in part because they wanted to send out a message they are serious about the games aspect of Xbox and that's great.

#12 Posted by RitsukoBlue (28 posts) -

Hopefully He will put Xbox back on track! This year's E3 show will be the BIGGEST test Phil will get this year!

#13 Posted by dbtbandit67 (415 posts) -

@Garfield360UK said:

So Phil Spencer is now the Xbox Division boss at Microsoft. He has said that he wants to have the core gamer needs served by the Xbox.

Link to Gamespot news story.

So what are your thoughts on this?

Great pick. A programmer and a GAMER to run a GAMING division, not an old white guy that doesn't even like computers.

#14 Edited by fifa14coinsben (25 posts) -

Plan out kicks and passes, and then switch to the real time 3D view for Fut 14 Coins kaufen precision shots at the goal - it's a very elegant solution to the controls problem, and turns football on your mobile into a tactical game that will appeal to both football fans, and people that enjoy strategy games.

#15 Posted by Ovirew (8117 posts) -

Well, I know this thread is a little dated and was bumped by a bot or something, but I will add my ten cents.

So for years there, I didn't have a good first impression of Phil Spencer. There was just something about the guy, idk, he seemed like kind of a playboy at Microsoft soaking in the attention of the press or something lol. But Idk, that is just how he seemed to me at first.

But then, I did remember him mentioning years ago, when Crackdown 2 was in development, that the Crackdown series was really near and dear to him. And I think he has always stood by that thought because he seemed really proud to finally be able to announce the new Crackdown game this week. I was happy about that announcement, but yeah it kind of lent some credit to the idea that Spencer does appreciate Microsoft's games and wants to give the gamers a good experience with the Xbox brand.

I felt like my opinion of Phil Spencer changed a lot with this E3 presentation. He seemed sincere when he thanked the fans that supported Xbox the past year, and he seemed really happy to host the event and talk about stuff. I guess when I put everything together, it makes me think I just had an ungrounded first impression of the guy, and maybe he is just the person who Microsoft needed to put in charge of the Xbox division after all. E3 2014 turned me into a fan of him, I hope he continues to do good stuff for the company.