Oblivion: Finding Lockpicks

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hollis101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hollis101
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Hey, I've been playing Oblivion for a few days now and I had about 30 lockpicks but used them up trying to open a very hard lock. I was wondering if there was an easy way to obtain lockpicks?
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#2 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
I think some of the "junk" vendors keep them in stock. My suggestion is to save the game before you try to pick a lock, and then keep reloading it until you do it right. It sounds cheap, I know, but you'll never run out of picks.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#3 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
yes there is a way to obtian lock picks easy. 1: join theift guild 2: the main city w/e its called inpearl city or w/e been over year and half at least since i played. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGRL3EDjn70&feature=related 3: the skeleton key. its lock pick that never breaks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66jrB0C2bj8
buttslaya617z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 buttslaya617z
Member since 2009 • 233 Posts

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Main_Page

^^The Elder Scrolls wiki. They have walkthroughs for all quests, maps, info on weapons/items/where to sell stuff/gamebreaking bugs etc. Yeah go for the skeleton lockpick. I forget if you have to be a certain level to access that quest though.

HydraRizlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 HydraRizlim
Member since 2009 • 1110 Posts

Hey, I've been playing Oblivion for a few days now and I had about 30 lockpicks but used them up trying to open a very hard lock. I was wondering if there was an easy way to obtain lockpicks?hollis101

well there's also an alternative for lockpicks it's a skill to unlock doors I don't know if you're in the mages guild cause then you can make the skill, and if you need lockpicks go to the thieves guild vendors, to join the thieves guild you need to be arrested once and then someone will come with a note to you hope I helped

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

[QUOTE="hollis101"]Hey, I've been playing Oblivion for a few days now and I had about 30 lockpicks but used them up trying to open a very hard lock. I was wondering if there was an easy way to obtain lockpicks?HydraRizlim

well there's also an alternative for lockpicks it's a skill to unlock doors I don't know if you're in the mages guild cause then you can make the skill, and if you need lockpicks go to the thieves guild vendors, to join the thieves guild you need to be arrested once and then someone will come with a note to you hope I helped

you dont have to be arrested to join the theives guild
hollis101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hollis101
Thanks for the help :] The saving then loading again idea seems pretty legit.
Nemesis4747

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nemesis4747
Member since 2004 • 1104 Posts

Thanks for the help :] The saving then loading again idea seems pretty legit.hollis101

that can get awfully old after a while, id recommend doing the daedric quest to get the skeleton key as soon as possible, besides being unbreakable it increases your security skill by fifty making lockpicking easier and less frustrating

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
I think some of the "junk" vendors keep them in stock. My suggestion is to save the game before you try to pick a lock, and then keep reloading it until you do it right. It sounds cheap, I know, but you'll never run out of picks.UT_Wrestler
:lol: Awfully cheap but I suppose it'd work. It's surprising how gamey people are these days
raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#10 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
I suggest joining the thieves guild. None of the other quests you do directly tromp on any thieves so you don't have to worry about those conflicts. And once you are in the guild you will be assigned a fence to sell to. They always have lockpicks in the plenty.
hollis101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hollis101
How do I do the daedra quest?
raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 raahsnavj
How do I do the daedra quest?hollis101
Which one? Each daedra has their own set of quests. The key is finding one of the statues and the people worshiping them. They will hint at what you need to bring and when to make an offering and get questing...
hollis101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hollis101
The one finding the skeleton lockpick key thing.
raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 raahsnavj
The one finding the skeleton lockpick key thing.hollis101
this has all the info you should need.
The_Dowell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 The_Dowell
Member since 2009 • 353 Posts

Here is an easy way to get a lot of lockpicks, Get at least 2 scrolls of the same type (the number of items you want is the number of scrolls you should have). Go into the menu click 'A' on the scroll twice then drop the lockpick. Viola insta-lockpicks. If you consider that cheating join the theives guild and go to the fences and buy your picks there.

ghost5891

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#16 ghost5891
Member since 2004 • 1296 Posts
[QUOTE="k2theswiss"]yes there is a way to obtian lock picks easy. 1: join theift guild 2: the main city w/e its called inpearl city or w/e been over year and half at least since i played. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGRL3EDjn70&feature=related 3: the skeleton key. its lock pick that never breaks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66jrB0C2bj8

just be aware that if you do get the skeleton key that your skill will not increase using it. you need to use actual lockpicks to increase your skill or do the training quests. but if this doesn't matter to you then get the skeleton key
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
Early on loot every container you find, then join the thieves guild to get a fairly easy supply, and ultimately find the skeleton key that never breaks.
Avatar image for creeping-deth87
creeping-deth87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#18 creeping-deth87
Member since 2008 • 787 Posts
Once you figure out how to actually use the lockpicks you won't be breaking nearly as many. When you're lifting the pins, watch for when they come down quickly. Once they do that, lift that pin again and press A as soon as it gets to the top. Rinse and repeat with the other pins until you unlock it. It's a pretty simple mechanic, just pay attention and be patient (some pins will take forever to come down quick).
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
Once you figure out how to actually use the lockpicks you won't be breaking nearly as many. When you're lifting the pins, watch for when they come down quickly. Once they do that, lift that pin again and press A as soon as it gets to the top. Rinse and repeat with the other pins until you unlock it. It's a pretty simple mechanic, just pay attention and be patient (some pins will take forever to come down quick).creeping-deth87
I found listening to the pins more useful than looking at them. There is a certain double click you can hear when a pin is going to accept being pushed up and stay there. Best way to test it is to save your game, then sit fiddling with the tumblers in a reasonably tough lock for your skill level. After a while you will become acustomed to the sounds and movements to know when you can push a pin, and when you risk snapping your lockpick.
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
[QUOTE="ghost5891"][QUOTE="k2theswiss"]yes there is a way to obtian lock picks easy. 1: join theift guild 2: the main city w/e its called inpearl city or w/e been over year and half at least since i played. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGRL3EDjn70&feature=related 3: the skeleton key. its lock pick that never breaks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66jrB0C2bj8

just be aware that if you do get the skeleton key that your skill will not increase using it. you need to use actual lockpicks to increase your skill or do the training quests. but if this doesn't matter to you then get the skeleton key

wrong, you do actually level up its just a little slower than normal cause the skeleton key gives you 40 (i think) to lockpick
gow117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gow117
Member since 2008 • 2963 Posts
the fences always have lockpicks, at least the Bruma one has at least 100 of em. Also, you always have the skeleton key, you need to be level 10 to take the quest though.
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

Bandits and goblins usually carry a lockpick or two. Find a dungeon with either of these in it and kill them. As others have said, once you join the Thieves Guild (or the Dark Brotherhood, which no one has mentioned for some reason), there are vendors who sell lockpicks. They have 100 to sell, and they restock quite frequently.