oblivion disc read error- is this a cache problem or did gamestop screw me over?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TarzanTheMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 TarzanTheMan
Member since 2007 • 268 Posts

after about 5 minutes of playing oblivion, i get an error saying the disc could not be read and to clean it with a soft cloth, etc.

problem is, this is a recently bought used copy from gamestop whose guarantee states that the disc WILL work. i looked it up and it seems it may be a cache problem and to clear the cache by holding a at the start. however, this doesn't seem to do anything and the disc still screws up. is there any confirmation box for clearing the cache? am i doing it wrong? or is the disc just broken and gamestop are jerks?

warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 warmaster670
Member since 2004 • 4699 Posts
id just take it back and get another one, unless its passed the point in which you can, which would suck
TarzanTheMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TarzanTheMan

id just take it back and get another one, unless its passed the point in which you can, which would suckwarmaster670

they won't accept my receipt.

g5velocity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 g5velocity
Member since 2007 • 1017 Posts
I had this problem when I first got the game. I dunno if it was an update or I drop kicked my console that remedied the problem.
hardcore_nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#5 hardcore_nate
Member since 2007 • 389 Posts
Could be the Xbox 360! But I would just go get another one!
funkyeyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 funkyeyk
Member since 2005 • 404 Posts

I bought a used copy of it too and had the same issue. Every few hours it would randomly stop saying the disc was dirty.

I ended up selling it on to someone else who hopefully has better luck and buying the GOTY edition.

shorty0100397

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 shorty0100397
Member since 2003 • 242 Posts
buy the original
tina661

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 tina661
Member since 2005 • 1160 Posts
theyre blowing smoke up ure back side. the receipt shouldnt matter, if its just an exchange. not a return.
Xbox_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Xbox_101
Member since 2004 • 167 Posts

after about 5 minutes of playing oblivion, i get an error saying the disc could not be read and to clean it with a soft cloth, etc.

problem is, this is a recently bought used copy from gamestop whose guarantee states that the disc WILL work. i looked it up and it seems it may be a cache problem and to clear the cache by holding a at the start. however, this doesn't seem to do anything and the disc still screws up. is there any confirmation box for clearing the cache? am i doing it wrong? or is the disc just broken and gamestop are jerks?

TarzanTheMan

I don't think that's how you clear it, try google and see what comes up becuase I remember doing something completely different.

tommat119944

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 tommat119944
Member since 2008 • 970 Posts

theyre blowing smoke up ure back side. the receipt shouldnt matter, if its just an exchange. not a return.tina661

Yes but don't you get your full money back with a return and less with an exchange?

TarzanTheMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TarzanTheMan

I don't think that's how you clear it, try google and see what comes up becuase I remember doing something completely different.

Xbox_101

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/10531/Oblivion-Fragmented-Cache-Data-Fix/

"To solve this problem, reset your Xbox, and hold down the A button as the game is booting up. If any button is held while Oblivion is loading, it will clear its hard drive cache, and create a new one.
Once you see the "Bethesda Softworks" logo video, the game is already loaded, and the cache should have been cleared."

As far as I know, I'm doing it right.

smag05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 smag05
Member since 2006 • 37 Posts
this happens to me all the time in oblivion, just save often. its the xbox not the game. i had borrowed the game from a friend and it happened, then i bought the game new and it still happens. to bad because it is such a great game.
smag05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 smag05
Member since 2006 • 37 Posts
dont bother clearing the cache, i tried every time i played and it made no diffrence.
TarzanTheMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TarzanTheMan

this happens to me all the time in oblivion, just save often. its the xbox not the game. i had borrowed the game from a friend and it happened, then i bought the game new and it still happens. to bad because it is such a great game.smag05

how do i save when the game ends as soon as i start it? it takes me about 2-3 minutes to save each time.

Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
You do realize that gamestop doesn't actually test the game to see if it works right? They just take the costumer's word and hope they aren't lying. They should have no problem exchanging that copy for another of the exact same game either. If they do, talk to the manager and he should take care of you.
Clagger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Clagger
Member since 2005 • 465 Posts
I got my Oblivion from gamespot and I had the game for a long while now and I still have 0 flaws with it so, I agree with Ghost_702 and say in my oppinion that gamespot isnt to blame because they dont test the used games.
SunLord592

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 SunLord592
Member since 2003 • 2651 Posts
never buy used games from gamestop or ebgames. your better off buying from ebay. my friend bought gears of war used from ebgames, took it home and there was a circular scratch on it. and the game wouldnt play. he took it back the next day, and they wouldnt exchange it but instead they said he can trade it in for 1/3 of the price he paid for it in the first place.
guppieface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 guppieface
Member since 2004 • 1085 Posts
hahahahahahahahaha you bought my copy!! hahahahahahahaahahaah haahahahahahahah! theres a small crack in the plastic ring inner part, and even though it is super small, THE DISC DOESNT PLAY!!! AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!
TarzanTheMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TarzanTheMan

hahahahahahahahaha you bought my copy!! hahahahahahahaahahaah haahahahahahahah! theres a small crack in the plastic ring inner part, and even though it is super small, THE DISC DOESNT PLAY!!! AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!guppieface

ha.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10602 Posts

TarzanTheMan

got mine brand new from game in england and had the same problem so i sold it... goty edition works fine tho

mikel222222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mikel222222
Member since 2004 • 1162 Posts

[QUOTE="warmaster670"]id just take it back and get another one, unless its passed the point in which you can, which would suckTarzanTheMan

they won't accept my receipt.

Ask to speak to the store owner, or manager. If all else fails I would just steal another copy and throw my old one in their face! OR! you can buy another used one, and take it back that same day, but put your other copy that doesnt work inside the box.... and get the money back from that game!(or use it to buy another game you like)

Either way I would demand a full exchange, or I would chant "boycott" infront of their store until they do so. Also try emailing the head offices. I hate f*&king gamestop