NInja Gaiden II is just not the same...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts

All right so let me just start by saying that Ninja Gaiden had me hooked from the very first fight. The fast paced visceral combat was awesome, and bloody and just a royal amount of fun. However, from the very first sword swing I knew this game was different. Ninja Gaiden Sigma (thats the version I played) was challenging because it was a dance of exact timing and mastery of your weapons. If you tried the art of button-mashing foo in that game, you were rewarded with a massive load of lost health that didnt instantly regenerate, whereas in this game I just jam my way to severed limbs town and then get rewarded with a cool looking obliteration technique. I know that you cant purely button mash, but anyone who says that this game is less about button mashing than its predecessors is either lieing or just plain stupid. So up through chapter 6 I was having a blast. The game was still bloody and awesome (though the bosses were cheap sometimes) and I was having a blast. When I reached the end of chapter 6 I said to myself "Wow, a difficult chapter, but not overly so with a reasonably challenging boss fight...did they put this in by accident?"

Then I moved on to chapter 7. It was a bit on the easy side after battling through all the werewolves but still, it was fun, challenging, but still remained fair. Even the boss at the end of the chapter (meaning Genshin) was fair. And then I reached the boss fight of chapter 7, part 2. I like to call him the gigantic gay turtle of doom. You have to kill this gigantic red turtle, and he has a myriad of attack, some of which are fair, but some of which are unbelievably cheap. However, it wasnt the first part of the fight I had a problem with. I mean it was hard, sure, but I could deal with it. However, all of a sudden he realized that a ninja was carving up his face and turned into the gigantic gay LAVA turtle of doom. After that the battle just got unbelievably cheap. First of all he almost never stops launching these little fiery boulders everywhere which often hit you and make you stagger, second he uses his metroid prime style roll up into a ball and roll around the arena for a few minutes until he hits you move and then if you try to attack his most vulnerable spot he grabs you in a long-ass attack that takes out almost all of your health. However, at long last I finally defeated him, and I was rejoicing, the BASTARD THING BLEW UP!

No, I'm sorry, he didnt just blow up. He ****ing exploded and he took all of my health with him. I hadnt equipped my Talisman of Rebirth, so I had to do the whole ****ing fight over again, and I had to waste my talisman the second time around. How the **** is that fair? I mean, what's next, a boss who decides to kill me with a 1-hit massively lame attack because her favorite show is on TV and she cant be bothered with fighting me? Sigma always has this habbit of making you understand that you lost because you werent good enough, however this game lets you know that you lost because it hates you and wants to be cheap. If this is what I can expect from future chapters, I think I am going to return my copy of the game. It's not that I have never played challenging games (Metal Slug, Devil May Cry 3, NGS, Castlevania) but this isnt difficult, this is cheap, and this game proves that there is a very clear difference.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#2 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Its not cheap at all imo, it just takes alot of skill. I found the last Ninja Gaiden to be harder personally.

Its one of the hardest games out there but its far from cheap imo, just takes alot of practise and skill.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Essian
a boss that blows up at the end of the fight and takes your health out? Doesnt sound fair to me... of course I just went and looked at youtube and learned that if you block the attack then you dont take damage....cuz that makes perfect sense, blocking an explosion by raising your sword... Anyway, they just made some cheap choices.
Lance_Kalzas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Lance_Kalzas
Member since 2007 • 2135 Posts
Yes, you can block but also if you're at full health when he blows up, like I was, then you don't die. I didn't know you could block either but I didn't die the 2nd time around. Rather than getting all angry and upset about it, like you are, I just laughed it off and beat him down so it's not that big of a deal in my opinion. I personally think the game is awesome and I'm having a lot of fun with it. :)
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kozzy1234

a boss that blows up at the end of the fight and takes your health out? Doesnt sound fair to me... of course I just went and looked at youtube and learned that if you block the attack then you dont take damage....cuz that makes perfect sense, blocking an explosion by raising your sword... Anyway, they just made some cheap choices.Essian

its just my opinion man, i respect that you think its cheap, but imo its not cheap at all. You can block, just around more, use differnt tactics. Parts of NG2 can be VERY VERY hard, but they just take practise. Its hands downt eh hardest game this gen, a few friedns of mine have broken controllers playing it haha.

Each hard boss or hard part of NG2 has a way of beating it,sometimes it just takes awhile to get the right strategy and do it perfectly.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Essian

[QUOTE="Essian"]a boss that blows up at the end of the fight and takes your health out? Doesnt sound fair to me... of course I just went and looked at youtube and learned that if you block the attack then you dont take damage....cuz that makes perfect sense, blocking an explosion by raising your sword... Anyway, they just made some cheap choices.kozzy1234

its just my opinion man, i respect that you think its cheap, but imo its not cheap at all. You can block, just around more, use differnt tactics. Parts of NG2 can be VERY VERY hard, but they just take practise. Its hands downt eh hardest game this gen, a few friedns of mine have broken controllers playing it haha

that's valid. I dunno, I just found that to be cheap, but still I cant get enough of this game. I heard that Incendiary Shuriken are the way to go with these guys, so I guess I will start stocking up.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kozzy1234
[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

[QUOTE="Essian"]a boss that blows up at the end of the fight and takes your health out? Doesnt sound fair to me... of course I just went and looked at youtube and learned that if you block the attack then you dont take damage....cuz that makes perfect sense, blocking an explosion by raising your sword... Anyway, they just made some cheap choices.Essian

its just my opinion man, i respect that you think its cheap, but imo its not cheap at all. You can block, just around more, use differnt tactics. Parts of NG2 can be VERY VERY hard, but they just take practise. Its hands downt eh hardest game this gen, a few friedns of mine have broken controllers playing it haha

that's valid. I dunno, I just found that to be cheap, but still I cant get enough of this game. I heard that Incendiary Shuriken are the way to go with these guys, so I guess I will start stocking up.

Thats a great idea, they are good for that part.No game has frusterated me as much as NG2 has ill admit that haha. When ever i really want to be challenged in a videogame i turn on NG or NG2.

Lance_Kalzas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lance_Kalzas
Member since 2007 • 2135 Posts
[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

[QUOTE="Essian"]a boss that blows up at the end of the fight and takes your health out? Doesnt sound fair to me... of course I just went and looked at youtube and learned that if you block the attack then you dont take damage....cuz that makes perfect sense, blocking an explosion by raising your sword... Anyway, they just made some cheap choices.Essian

I didn't have any problems with the flaming boulders, they would rarely hit me. Approximately half of the time he would roll into a ball, I would get hit so I wasn't doing too bad in that area I guess. I agree with the majority of the posters of this thread; the game is hard and challenging but I don't think it's cheap at all. :)
Deltapixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Deltapixel
Member since 2008 • 154 Posts
Yea that exploding boss was a **** to deal with. I tried running away, I tried finishing him off with the bow so I'd be far away. Then I had enough and checked online. I didn't mind it that much.
Aurey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Aurey
Member since 2004 • 520 Posts

Nope, it's not the same thing, it's faster, tougher and better that the first game. It is just like the old Ninja Gaiden games, you need to recognize the attack patterns of the enemies and adapt your own attack and defence to defeat them. It's not a button mashing affair either, even in the normal difficulty setting it requires to be played with some skill, now try to survive just button mashing in Mentor or in Master Ninja and even a group of two foes will kill you easily in no time. NGII is not a cheap game, it's just as challenging as the old school games of the series.

If you defeat the Armadillo fast you don't have to deal with it's second attack pattern for much time until it's dead. On the other hand, if you keep running and attacking from afar, the boss fight will be lenghty and harder. And about the explosion... well, it was fun the first time, mostly because it was unexpected, just beat the turtle again and try to do something to avoid the explosion. It's even more fun when you have to kill two of them later in the game.

karriston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 karriston
Member since 2005 • 3631 Posts
The magic from the first game wore off when I played the second one. Despite what anyone says, the difficulty is cheap. Enemies that juggle you to death is annoying, as someone else said a boss that explodes, killing you in the process but somehow magically being able to protect yourself by putting a tiny sliver of metal between you and the blast, is annoying. Enemies attacking you from off-screen is annoying. As for the gameplay, it's lost some of its fun, and I feel like I'm doing nothing but holding down the block button at times. The presentation's a lot blander this time, the enemies don't look as cool and the levels seem a lot more monochrome. Still it is gorier, and while it's not AS fun, it's still fun. But it doesn't feel like Ninja Gaiden, it's liking the style and substance of the previous games.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
The A.I. can be cheap at times, but it's still a far superior game to the original, even though the camera is still sloppy.
ohemgeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ohemgeee
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

NG2 is flawed and buggy, but its 20 times better than the first one in every single way

the core gameplay is amazing and i hope more games will copy it

xfactor19990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 xfactor19990
Member since 2004 • 10917 Posts
hmmm i like it so far
sinlesswolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sinlesswolf
Member since 2006 • 1382 Posts

what he says is true my fellow gamers.

the giant gay fiery turtle of "blow the crapoutta you" boss IS really cheap.

{you get to see him again.. surprise! theres two chucking lava at you now! that'll teach you to think you know what you're doing.}

but it didnt stop me from going through the game with a small smile in my face. kill them all i say!!

yes, some of the bosses are utter bullcr*p, but what you will have when you finally see the credits roll is pure joy.

hahaha. i fell in love with my level3 scythe.

D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 232

#16 D3dr0_0
Member since 2008 • 3530 Posts
If your having problems with the gay lava turtule your going to die alot more from that point on it gets difficult on the last few chapters. I got an achievment I didn't want and that was dying 100 times in the game.
RandolphScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#17 RandolphScott
Member since 2008 • 635 Posts
Too many games these days confuse challenge and frustration with one another. NG2 still demands much skill, but I have to recognize that in quite a few areas, the game stumbles into being blatantly cheap for the sake of an artificial challenge, more frequently than the last game. However, at the same time that it does that, the game has made far more concessions to the player, not to remove challenge, but to keep the emphasis on playing the game and maintaining forward momentum, as any good game should. (regenerating health from less serious wounds, more frequent check points and saving opportunities) So I feel it does balance out. It's two steps forward, one step back.