Next Xbox might not have a disc drive?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tendoboy1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tendoboy1984
Member since 2012 • 253 Posts
I've been reading rumors that the next Xbox might not have a disc drive. Instead, games would most likely come on a flash card-type medium (like an SD card, or DS / 3DS game card). If this rumor turns out to be true, what do you think of it? Should home consoles adopt flash media for their games instead of discs? I would gladly welcome this move away from disc media. Flash cards don't require any moving parts, so there is less of a chance of things breaking. Plus they can't get scratched like a disc.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
I dislike the rumor and hope it's not true. With your sd cards I am not sure if that work. Well I am not very knowledgeable about this but are sd cards better then blue ray? If so then I guess ok. But if not then that won't work. If the rumor is to go all digital well I hope microsoft is ready to fail. Believe it or not this world is not ready for 100% digital. Not every gamer has internet to download their games. Then on top of that going kill people from watching movies off disc, I am going keep watching disc until hollywood let company's stream new movies with a monthly subscription and I can't see that happening anytime soon
Avatar image for intimidator2000
intimidator2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 intimidator2000
Member since 2004 • 155 Posts

i dont know how i feel about this change, because it means no cd or dvd playing. Consoles are somtimes the only mode people have for playing movies or cds, so removing the disc drive sort of screws them. I guess people could always just keep the 360 for media play. i also wonder how the games will be sold. On a cartridge? Download? that means you would need internet and xbox live to purchase games.

Other rumers are circulating saying that the next xbox will bar gamers from playing used games. This will be a huge mistake for microsoft if these rumors are true, because a lot of people (including myself) will not buy the next xbox.

tendoboy1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 tendoboy1984
You say the world is not ready to go all digital, but look at how successful the iPhone, iPad, and Android devices are.
Drakebunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Drakebunny
Member since 2008 • 3029 Posts
That would be hilariously stupid.
tendoboy1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tendoboy1984

i dont know how i feel about this change, because it means no cd or dvd playing. Consoles are somtimes the only mode people have for playing movies or cds, so removing the disc drive sort of screws them. I guess people could always just keep the 360 for media play. i also wonder how the games will be sold. On a cartridge? Download? that means you would need internet and xbox live to purchase games.

Other rumers are circulating saying that the next xbox will bar gamers from playing used games. This will be a huge mistake for microsoft if these rumors are true, because a lot of people (including myself) will not buy the next xbox.

intimidator2000
Games could be on flash-based cards (like what the DS, 3DS, and Vita use).
tendoboy1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tendoboy1984
That would be hilariously stupid.Drakebunny
Why would it be stupid? Not every game system uses discs. Every system before the PlayStation and Saturn used cartridges. The DS, 3DS, and PS Vita use flash-based cards. If the next Xbox uses the same type of card, how would that be bad?
Avatar image for intimidator2000
intimidator2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 intimidator2000
Member since 2004 • 155 Posts
[QUOTE="intimidator2000"]

tendoboy1984
Games could be on flash-based cards (like what the DS, 3DS, and Vita use).

Thats true, but im still not on board since we wont be able to play dvds on the new console
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 k2theswiss
You say the world is not ready to go all digital, but look at how successful the iPhone, iPad, and Android devices are.tendoboy1984
yes and some of those people with phones pay for their phone services before they buy food. lol BUT, anyways, consoles are not like phones, They are not mobile and connect to company's telephone towers, or tablets on the go where people pull in a Starbucks parking lot. so your still excluding people who does not have access to this. don't even think that phone company's going get microsoft connect to their internet for a small fee. Also with the apps only reason they so big is because most is 99 cents lol.
Drakebunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Drakebunny
Member since 2008 • 3029 Posts
[QUOTE="Drakebunny"]That would be hilariously stupid.tendoboy1984
Why would it be stupid? Not every game system uses discs. Every system before the PlayStation and Saturn used cartridges. The DS, 3DS, and PS Vita use flash-based cards. If the next Xbox uses the same type of card, how would that be bad?

I just can't see how an SD/Flash drive is a superior storage medium for games, when compared to a DVD or BlueRay.
bobomb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 bobomb64
Member since 2005 • 737 Posts

Fake rumours, complete nonsense.

bALTHar86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bALTHar86
Member since 2008 • 567 Posts

I can imagine MS encorprating flash drives but don't think the worlds ready to completely scrap discs. As other people have said it would severely limit the systems media functionality and most gamers would turn to a console they could watch movies and play cds on.

DSPX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DSPX
Member since 2004 • 585 Posts

I've already switched over to PC. I got a new rig 2 weeks ago, and I've started rebuying some games on Steam. Console gaming will be trash this next generation: no disks / backwards compatibility, no used games, emphasis on motion control, big touch screen controller, etc.

Drew1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Drew1911
Member since 2011 • 47 Posts

I expect the next Xbox to have a SSD for the hard drive but for it to forgo a disk drive for media would be foolish IMO.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 k2theswiss

I've already switched over to PC. I got a new rig 2 weeks ago, and I've started rebuying some games on Steam. Console gaming will be trash this next generation: no disks / backwards compatibility, no used games, emphasis on motion control, big touch screen controller, etc.

DSPX
If you switched to pc gaming just because of rumors. Now that is funny.
FeiYenKen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FeiYenKen
Member since 2010 • 247 Posts

Looks false to me...

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#18 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

Hmm. It's interesting to think about how media formats for games are evolving. In particular, On Demand games seem to be getting more prevalent. Are we going to see a system eventually where all games are digital and can only be downloaded? With the push for DRM, that would be logical. It

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#19 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Its fake

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 k2theswiss

Hmm. It's interesting to think about how media formats for games are evolving. In particular, On Demand games seem to be getting more prevalent. Are we going to see a system eventually where all games are digital and can only be downloaded? With the push for DRM, that would be logical. It

MathMattS
my problem with it is. get ready pay extreme full price for games.. microsoft games on demand are over over priced, never have sells and when they do it's sales on their over price games. If they went to only games on demand. it be last time u get a deal on a video game.
NeoDeaf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NeoDeaf03
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Don't think it's gonna happen for next gen Xbox. Wasn't there other rumor about being able to run Xbox 360 games on next gen xbox?