New Xbox Dashboard Update: The End of GameSpot?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-Saigo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1 -Saigo-
Member since 2006 • 301 Posts

With Microsoft's newest renovation to the Xbox 360's dashboard dropping August 11th [1], it seems the LIVE experience has become like a vintage wine: Only getting better with age. Amidst the plethora of 25+ new features and improvements [2] like full 360 games on demand, awardable avatar items, and new and improved streamline media content, it seems a win-win situation for all parties involved. But are all the features good or particularity beneficial?

Take the new user ratings for example, where members of the LIVE community can instantly rate games and content using a 5-star rating system similar to that found on the Ipod or Microsoft's Windows Media Player, and peers can then in turn search for games based upon their ratings. Initially, the idea seems beneficial and a failsafe to downloading poor content, but one can't help but wonder how this will effect other online communities such as GameSpot where reader reviews and forum participation are a critical factor in keeping the community thriving.

If reviews are readily available through Microsoft's LIVE marketplace is this the end of professional or user reviews on the world wide web? After all, the 5-star system is simple and easy at a glance without the trouble of reading through the occasionally biased or poorly written outlooks of peer and professional alike. Are the days gone where gamers had to venture from the safe sanctuary of their couches to do a little informative research when a download is readily available with user rating intact?! Or will this simplified and dumbed down review system simply salivate the hunger of gamers to do more in depth research before downloading content?

In good form I've asked a few fellow gamers and users of GameSpot their opinions on the upcoming updates. Here's a few comments I'd like to post:

Uther007 of GameSpot comments, "Well if people didn't write such long reviews like you do I'd be more inclined to read them. Why read a novel about the game when I could just play it? The 5-star system is perfect for me, when I want to get my game on, I want to get my GAME ON!!"

Bearikus of the LIVE community states, "That 5-star crap is too vague! Everything is usually rated 3 ½ stars because people either give everything a 1 or a 5. Wouldn't that make the rating a 3? Nope, you've actually got the occasional smuck who think his opinion really matters . I'll still be online to read reviews, it won't change anything.

Well, there you have it. I suppose only time will tell as the update is scheduled for just over a week away. Anyhow, I'll look to see you then, drop me a line on LIVE at KenseiKoach or hit me up on GameSpot. Either way, good luck, and good gaming. Play on.

[1] http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemupdates/default.htm
[2] http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=8ABF415B-1A64-67EA-E4B4917E9C4BE7C7

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

Reviewing sites will never die becausI read reviews for technical issues something a star system can't tell me. Either way though I could care less about reviews as I enjoy games that get horrible scores.

Uther007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Uther007
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Ha! I can't believe you quoted me! Ah well, guess everyone knows where I stand.

hotplayer220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#4 hotplayer220
Member since 2004 • 1818 Posts

You can't really compare the two. Gamespot actually gives a break down of what the highs and lows are.

Avatar image for HockeyPlayr1134
HockeyPlayr1134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 HockeyPlayr1134
Member since 2005 • 124 Posts

i really didnt see a probolem with the dashboard before i got live. i like that one better. i dont want to create an avatar and dress him upi want to play my games and music!! ive had live for a few months now and the newest setup still confuses me

The_Gauss_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 The_Gauss_Boss
Member since 2009 • 67 Posts

I won't stop going to GameSpot. They have really thorough reviewers that know what they're talking about. Yes, I will try out the Dashboard review system, but that doesn't mean I'll stop trusting GameSpot for quality reviews.

Matt-Porter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Matt-Porter
Member since 2008 • 239 Posts

The Xbox is one of many systems, and even those with an Xbox will likely have another system. Bottom line, with or without the new dashboard, users will still use gamespot for other systems, if not still for the Xbox.

Aslyum_Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Aslyum_Beast
Member since 2008 • 975 Posts

easy: player reviews with WORDS. sorry, i prefer to actually know what they gave a 5 star for EXACTLY, instead of just saying "the WHOLE GAME is great"

PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts

Because of user ratings? No, they won't kill review sites.

Logan1616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Logan1616
Member since 2008 • 3424 Posts

Reviewing sites will never die becausI read reviews for technical issues something a star system can't tell me. Either way though I could care less about reviews as I enjoy games that get horrible scores.

craigalan23
Craig hit it right on. I agree 100% with him.
solo4321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 solo4321
Member since 2006 • 3338 Posts
Doesn't effect me one bit.
strawberry9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 strawberry9
Member since 2006 • 875 Posts
gamespot reviews suck now adays anyways... so I dont care.... x360A.org all the way!!!!
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
People should know what they want to play, reviews on GS or star ratings from a bunch of random people should not affect your opinion. I mean there are user ratings and user reviews on this site, so how could one believe that a few star ratings wouldn't suddenly stop people coming here.
jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#14 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

scores are arbitrary, reviews are not... well if done correctly they aren't.

Basically I read reviews to see what is in a game. How do the controls work?, is there much of a story, will I have to repeat/backtrack through levels, does it require a walk-through, any grinding, will it challange my intelect, and does it live up to the marketing hype. You can't find out this stuff using a 5 star rating.

sexy_robot_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sexy_robot_man
Member since 2009 • 1002 Posts

Gamespot will be fine.

alstevens83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 alstevens83
Member since 2008 • 1462 Posts

Personally I will stick to what I normally do which is do some research look around some of the sites and decide which game is for me with a demo or a beta. There is no way a star system on XBL is going to cover the pros and cons of the game.

AdmiralNels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AdmiralNels
Member since 2009 • 37 Posts
Well the iphone app store has the 5 star rating system, but there are plenty websites that review iphone games...
pete_merlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 pete_merlin
Member since 2007 • 6098 Posts

most people will rate something 5 star if they like it a 1 star if they dont like it. people are kinda stupid and dont have a middle ground. i'll leave it to the pros

caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 caddy
Member since 2005 • 28709 Posts

most people will rate something 5 star if they like it a 1 star if they dont like it. people are kinda stupid and dont have a middle ground. i'll leave it to the pros

pete_merlin
Yeah, that''s pretty much it. There will be people on xbox live that give fair ratings, but there will be many more than don't, so for that, I will stick to using review websites.
shabab12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 shabab12
Member since 2007 • 2613 Posts
Are you joking? It will have zero impact. wheres that option on the poll.
mohfrontline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mohfrontline
Member since 2007 • 5678 Posts
I don't see the point of this update, there's nothing I really want besides the tray opening feature with X. And a 5 star rating of a game is not enough info in my opinion to make me spend money on it. I don't know who would buy a game because they saw it had 5 stars on Xbox Live.
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
[QUOTE="pete_merlin"]

Caddy06_88
Yeah, that''s pretty much it. There will be people on xbox live that give fair ratings, but there will be many more than don't, so for that, I will stick to using review websites.

plus has anyone read half the user reviews on this website? people barely reach the minimum word count, id rather a little more reasoning to a review than just 'this game is the best, its grafix are teh coolest, gameplay is fun and you get to shoot people blah blah blah blah need to fill word limit blah blah blah'
caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 caddy
[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"] plus has anyone read half the user reviews on this website? people barely reach the minimum word count, id rather a little more reasoning to a review than just 'this game is the best, its grafix are teh coolest, gameplay is fun and you get to shoot people blah blah blah blah need to fill word limit blah blah blah'

Exactly. And that is when they have to type something, it will be worse when it's just a blind rating with nothing to back it up.
CNUrGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CNUrGames
Member since 2005 • 1867 Posts
[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"] plus has anyone read half the user reviews on this website? people barely reach the minimum word count, id rather a little more reasoning to a review than just 'this game is the best, its grafix are teh coolest, gameplay is fun and you get to shoot people blah blah blah blah need to fill word limit blah blah blah'Caddy06_88
Exactly. And that is when they have to type something, it will be worse when it's just a blind rating with nothing to back it up.

I'd even say a blind rating is worse because they don't have to support their claim. At least when you see one of these short reviews, you can then discount it because you recognize that the person is just making an asinine claim. With a 5 star system, it's hard to tell who is legitimate and who isn't.
caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 caddy
[QUOTE="CNUrGames"] I'd even say a blind rating is worse because they don't have to support their claim. At least when you see one of these short reviews, you can then discount it because you recognize that the person is just making an asinine claim. With a 5 star system, it's hard to tell who is legitimate and who isn't.

Yeah, exactly. I won't be paying much, if any, attention to this new rating system.
2pac_makaveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 2pac_makaveli
Member since 2008 • 1681 Posts
i havnt gone from a gamespot review since all the good reviewers were fired and or left this sites reviews s*ck now the forums are the only thing keeping me on this site.
seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 seankane
Member since 2007 • 4076 Posts

The new 'star' reviewing system will be nice in a couple of ways. For instance, those of us browsing through Arcade games or DLC looking for something to get will get grabbed by certain things they see.

Premium theme for Halo 3, you say? That sounds cool. But hey, look here, it says that people weren't very happy with it. Maybe I should go and find out whats wrong with it on the computer?

or maybe

Wow, I've never heard of this game, Braid, but its really highly rated. Maybe I'll go and check out what its all about on the computer.

Put simply, it'll be a way to weed out the garbage from the more acceptable stuff. No, its not a perfect system as users can just be stupid and score it something they know it blatantly wrong or score things that they haven't downloaded or something. But its better than nothing, and if you look at user scores compared to critic scores for most games, they're typically pretty close. As long as the majority are posting serious reviews, it'll average out those who aren't.

And it certainly wont replace gaming review sites like Gamespot. If anything, it'll make them more important as it will get people going to them to see what all the ratings are about. And really, if people are dumb enough to buy a game or some content based solely on some '5 star user review', then thats their problem. Most people are going to be smart enough to care more about what a review has to SAY, then just judge based solely on the final score, which is typically the most subjective part of a review.

xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts
Why do people think you can "review" games on LIVE? You'll be able the RATE games. NOT REVIEW.
CodingGenius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#30 CodingGenius
Member since 2004 • 8118 Posts
I think it could be good, but I value reviewers who thoroughly review games and do not hide behind anonymity.
SnakeEyesX80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SnakeEyesX80
Member since 2009 • 2181 Posts
As long as there's people willing to read, written review sites will be around for a long time. No Worries. :)