Need Info on possible 2 routers

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hopesfall2own

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hopesfall2own
Member since 2008 • 2714 Posts
I need some help in figuring out what devices I need for a growing problem in connection issues. Ok, I have the network adapter for my 360, which connects to a Linksys 2.4ghz WRT54G router, Comcast is ISP. My brother is getting a ps3, and I know for a fact my connection completely dies when ps3's wifi is running at same time as 360s. I've contacted MS who said to call Comcast, who said to call someone else. I've thought about getting a switch to connect the ps3 to, but I wonder if there is an alternative? Maybe a better modem? I realize the connection speed will be same, but its a rented modem and there might be slight difference in other modems. Can anyone give me some advice on what I should get to fix this?
strayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 strayzilla
Member since 2004 • 560 Posts
Are you using the port forwarding to seperate the signals? If you don't it's possible to lag out a connection while using another pc/console/etc
hopesfall2own

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hopesfall2own
Are you using the port forwarding to seperate the signals? If you don't it's possible to lag out a connection while using another pc/console/etcstrayzilla
I've wondered how to do that, I know how to get into my router configuration settings, but I don't know how to get the settings right for the port forwarding stuff.
Bane_v2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Bane_v2
Member since 2003 • 6104 Posts
Networking is not my strong suit, but... Dies how? Slows down a lot or disconnects completely? If it disconnects completely check to be sure DHCP is running on the router. If that's not the issue you may not have enough IP addresses available to get both consoles online at the same time. You'd have to contact Comcast to change that.
strayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 strayzilla
Member since 2004 • 560 Posts
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=psnetwork&thread.id=116102
hopesfall2own

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hopesfall2own
Networking is not my strong suit, but... Dies how? Slows down a lot or disconnects completely? If it disconnects completely check to be sure DHCP is running on the router. If that's not the issue you may not have enough IP addresses available to get both consoles online at the same time. You'd have to contact Comcast to change that.Bane_v2
It will give me "Disconnected from Xbox Live", the adapter color will change to red, it basically resets. I can usually log in a couple minutes later, but its a hassle to do this multiple times a day especially when I'm in the middle of games. The router is set on "Auto Configuration - DHCP". I also saw it said the limit of addresses is 50, I wouldn't know how it would run out like you mentioned with 50.
hopesfall2own

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hopesfall2own
More input would be appreciated.
ray03314506

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ray03314506
Member since 2006 • 642 Posts
VLAN the two consoles and see if that helps. Maybe if they're assigned a different IP address from a different subnet you could avoid this happening.