my xbox won't read discs

This topic is locked from further discussion.

optic1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 optic1234
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

A few days ago my 360 started to have problems reading discs. I would put one in and nothing would happen. After opening and closing the tray a few times, It will finally read the disc and all is well, games play great. I assume my disc drive is going bad or else the lens is dirty, i do smoke around it so that doesnt help.

What I dont get is when my 360 can read the discs, It works great...

Any good dvd lens cleaners out there that I can try or should i just send It in to MS?

optic1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 optic1234
Heh i found this old cd/dvd lens cleaner that I had laying around. Stuck that bad boy in and it cleaned it up good i guess. My xbox read the first game i put it. Well ill just cross my fingers now...
Avatar image for StromileSwiftee
StromileSwiftee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 StromileSwiftee
Member since 2003 • 385 Posts
hate to scare you, but sounds like potential Red Ring of Death. The first time I got it thats what happened... started with just one disc not working and then working and then all discs stopped. If it stops all together thats what it is, call up MS and they'll walk you through the steps.
Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Travis_Odell
Member since 2008 • 1775 Posts
More than likely your lens, mabie your drive motor if you cant hear it spin. I will be the first to tell you it has nothing to do with RROd. what i did when my lens wouldnt read disc is take it apart disc drive and clean it with a Q tip and works better now than ever.
batman17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 batman17
Member since 2003 • 61 Posts
Its nothing to serious. Unless u know how to open it yourself, Its your lens thats wearing out u need to get a new one. You got two choices send it back to mycrosoft and they will charge u or order one from ebay. U must open ur xbox first and see what lense number u have. O and just in case i dont care about warranty cause i know how to fix them, even the so called red ring of death.
optic1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 optic1234

Its nothing to serious. Unless u know how to open it yourself, Its your lens thats wearing out u need to get a new one. You got two choices send it back to mycrosoft and they will charge u or order one from ebay. U must open ur xbox first and see what lense number u have. O and just in case i dont care about warranty cause i know how to fix them, even the so called red ring of death.batman17

How do i know if my lens is bad? I just put in like 5 different games and they all work fine now. Maybe my lens was just dirty. No way im sending it to MS now.. it works :)

Avatar image for OutdatedBlaster
OutdatedBlaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 OutdatedBlaster
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
i have a old 2004 xbox (not 360) i cant get it to read disks it says (quote)"your xbox cant recognize this disk .make sure it`s an xbox game.DVD movie or audio CD. aso check to see if the disk is dirty or damaged. remove the disk to continue.(end of quote) if any body knows haw to fix this please email me at OutdatedSword2@rocketmail.com .
ceej68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ceej68
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Hi I have thesame problem with the old Xbox we bought another one and still same issue not reading discs