My XBOX said " Unable to read disc" *wtf*

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sly_Godfather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Sly_Godfather
Member since 2007 • 302 Posts
While playing COD4 last night while Overgrown was loading it came up with un-able to read disc and to wipe it with a soft cloth so i click OK. Then it takes me to dashboard and it said Call of Duty 4 down the bottom where the game has loaded so i clicked it and it loaded perfect andd played perfect all day and all today and it has no scratches on the disc or anything. WTF. WTF is up? Iv never had this happen to any other 360 game before, and they actually have scratches. I mean wtf, im not worryied cause its working perfect now but has anyone else had this???
Halochief_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 Halochief_101
Member since 2007 • 402 Posts
Sorry but your xbox is doomed.
Strife88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 Strife88
Member since 2005 • 6073 Posts
yeah, I can't even play Call of Duty anymore because of my 360. If it keeps happening just call MS to send you a box to get it replaced.
realzelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 realzelda
Member since 2005 • 182 Posts
yeah i have had same thing with eternal sonata worked great then stopped all of sudden. it starts like this and in month time ur xbox might be broken thats what mine has done. i have heard that it was the update in fall apparently alot people xox stop reading games eventually but ofcourse microsoft wont admit it
Outsider-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Outsider-G
Member since 2006 • 2444 Posts
I've had this happen to NBA 2K8. No other game does it.
Avatar image for arrogantyeti101
arrogantyeti101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 arrogantyeti101
Member since 2007 • 50 Posts

This started happening for me with Rock Band shortly after I got it. Certain song previews would give me this error. This was back in December. Just recently, I had this error with Rainbow Six Vegas, but just once.

Honestly, kinda hoping my box goes wonky (I think that's a word) so I can get a replacement. The one they gave me for my first replacement has always been very, very loud.

UnknownDarknes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 UnknownDarknes
Member since 2007 • 151 Posts
Yep its happend to me and my xbox is merly 2 weeks old....
juju187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 juju187
Member since 2004 • 402 Posts
white screen of death is the real killer...
Sly_Godfather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Sly_Godfather
Member since 2007 • 302 Posts
The game works perfect. Iv played through the campaign again, iv played hours of LIVE and it has no scratches. Loading the map mighta glitched or something. And yeh i wont my xbox to go wonky so i get a possible new one or just a heatsink would b nice. Plus this is the reason iv been playing on this xbox (i own 2) cause my other one red lighted and theni played on the one im playing on now, then now its back iv put it adside so the other one i have can re light and get sent in and while thats sent in i play on my other one:D Thanks guys btw for ur imputs
oldmanB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 oldmanB
Member since 2006 • 149 Posts
I dont think it's a big deal. Mine will say it after playing for a long time, and mostly Mass Effect. I just pop it out and put the disc back in.
Avatar image for CorporateHammer
CorporateHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 CorporateHammer
Member since 2007 • 992 Posts
Not sure if its related but I bought a core and about 3 days later I was playing Forza 2 and the track disappeared and then got the unreadable error. When I removed the game it had this white dust all over the bottom of the disk. Never seen anything like it before. I think it may have been excess grease from the dvd drive not sure. Took it back to the store got a new one. It was a core BTW. After exchanging it I gave it to my brother and bought an elite. Less than five months I had to put my elite in a coffin. Really upsetting. When I took it to UPS after getting my coffin, they said they see 3 or 4 a day. Now I live in a small town and 3 or 4 a day is just astounding. Not sure how much longer M$ can continue to sell faulty consoles and not do a recall. Not bashing just being honest. And no I dont own a PS3 but depending on the box I get back from M$ I just may be a future PS3 owner. On a side note I bought my first core at launch which I took apart and replaced the fans in the back and guess what it still works to this day. Something fishy here and its starting to smell really bad.
bongcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bongcat
Member since 2008 • 61 Posts

yeah that means RROD within a week... i cant believe you didnt know that

loserboyone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 loserboyone
Member since 2003 • 66 Posts

yeah that means RROD within a week... i cant believe you didnt know that

bongcat

that's what happened with my 1st 360. sorry bud.

Ravi_1900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Ravi_1900
Member since 2006 • 977 Posts

While playing COD4 last night while Overgrown was loading it came up with un-able to read disc and to wipe it with a soft cloth so i click OK. Then it takes me to dashboard and it said Call of Duty 4 down the bottom where the game has loaded so i clicked it and it loaded perfect andd played perfect all day and all today and it has no scratches on the disc or anything. WTF. WTF is up? Iv never had this happen to any other 360 game before, and they actually have scratches. I mean wtf, im not worryied cause its working perfect now but has anyone else had this???Sly_Godfather

If its unable to read disk issue then you should use a DVD/Cd cleaner disc try it mine was worse almost all the disk started giving read error or unplayble then I use lens cleaner the issue was resolved. The issue is not about scratch some disk I think boot themselves at full 12X so if dust accumulates it start giving you these sign and those like Oblivion dont give you might be running at less speed.

Also RROD is not the issue here since in RROD there is no disc error your console freezes and you have to boot it again, if its disc issues than its definetly something with your drive and mostly its dirty disc drive.

by proper safegaurd from dust not only all the games run but I now have some special feautres in my 360, about no texture loading in Mass effect, Lost Odyssey Asian verison load time for new area 10 secs and for batle 5 secs half the time what I saw in youtube for Asian Version of LO. LMAO my Oblivion disc has a round ring like scratch in it and still no trouble.

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

I've only had this sort of problem with two games, NHL 2K6 and DiRT.

DiRT would only play up after I had been playing it for several hours, so it wasn't the end of the world, and it would load fine as soon as I got back to the dashboard and ejected the disc.

I had a lot more problems with NHL 2K6 which refused to recognise that it was in a 360 the first few times I tried to load it, then it finally came up as a Mixed Media Disc. A few more attempts later it finally loaded. Don't know if it was a problem with just that disc or not.

Of the 40 or so games I've played, these are the only ones to cause problems.

Ravi_1900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Ravi_1900
Member since 2006 • 977 Posts

I've only had this sort of problem with two games, NHL 2K6 and DiRT.

DiRT would only play up after I had been playing it for several hours, so it wasn't the end of the world, and it would load fine as soon as I got back to the dashboard and ejected the disc.

I had a lot more problems with NHL 2K6 which refused to recognise that it was in a 360 the first few times I tried to load it, then it finally came up as a Mixed Media Disc. A few more attempts later it finally loaded. Don't know if it was a problem with just that disc or not.

Of the 40 or so games I've played, these are the only ones to cause problems.

Avenger1324

Its your drive most of the time I can say that by my experience since most 360 games boot at high speed these problem aroses even if little dust accumulates. Do what I say and then tell if its useful or not.

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
I found that applying pressure to the front of the disc tray helped the problem disc to load. It makes a noise as it is spinning up to speed, then if it fails to load you can hear the speed drop off and try again. For some reason pushing gently on the front of the drive while closed helped the disc to load