My thoughts on if MGS4 went multiplat

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ryanryan2525

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 ryanryan2525
Member since 2005 • 602 Posts

To start, i'm only own a 360(most people left the thread already), when MGS4 came out, I was fortunate enough to have a friend who let me borrow his PS3 and the game for a few days after he completed it, and it was absolutely incredible. The way I look at it is..The fact that the game was good should be enough. I understand having a PS3 was the best thing in the world on June 12th. I just feel that everyone and all consoles should enjoy good games. Why is it such a big deal if MGS4, or other "exclusive" games went multiplatform. What is there to lose? Konami making tons of money from the 360 fanbase, millions of more people get to talk about a great game..I just don't really see any good reason MGS4, Halo, Gears Of War, and tons of other games shouldn't be enjoyed by all.

gow117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 gow117
Member since 2008 • 2963 Posts
nah theres got to be war, its more funny. i dont wanna sound like an idiot but thats blog material.
Davidfenn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Davidfenn
Member since 2007 • 73 Posts

until recently most of the best games were exclusive to a platform.. we're predisposed to preferring it

RabidAnts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RabidAnts
Member since 2008 • 195 Posts

well idk if you have been watching the news lately, but the world is not a place where everyone is friends and holds hands. its a business. Sony wants to sell more ps3s and mgs4 is a major selling point to the ps3 why would they just give up the rights to the games? its like Xbox 360giving up halo 3, that game solda lotof Xbox 360s why would they just say you know what ps3 owners thanks for not buying our console. have the game that is basically selling are console.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#5 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

All consoles need their key exclusives, and the competition is good because all gamers in general benefit from it.

rp108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#6 rp108
Member since 2008 • 1743 Posts

I do not care about exclusives. I care about good games. If Halo 3 went to the PS3 or MGS IV came to the Xbox 360 I really don't care. Just as long as there are good games on the consoles. Maybe because I have a 360, PS3, and Wii. Some people only have one console so they feel a need to defend it? Not really sure.

tomo90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 tomo90
Member since 2005 • 2245 Posts

I think exclusivity is key to the industry (read my blog if your interested). It drives competition and pushes developers to squeeze the most out of individual consoles, instead of making dumbed down versions to fit each console. I have yet to see a multiplatform game that really pushes the boundaries and tech on all platforms. Seriously people need to get over this widespread multiplatform obsession. Ports rarely work after a game as been released. In relation to Konami - their MGS2 port in the form of MGS: Substance was awful. Bad framerates left it near impossible to play at times.

Gamers should be accepting and thanking developers for keeping exclusives so they can deliver such top notch games as MGS4, Gears of War and Mass Effect.

On the Konami front, I very much doubt MGS4 will come to the 360. Sorry.

seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 seankane
Member since 2007 • 4076 Posts

People car about exclusives because they are insecure about their console purchase. They need to be constantly reassured that their purchase was the right purchase and exclusives are a great way for them toget that assurance.

This is what the console war has been all about between gamers.

YoungDab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 YoungDab
Member since 2007 • 565 Posts

imagine metal gear solid 4 on xbox 360 with Halo 3's matchmaking system? That would be insane,thats why it should come to xbox 360.Make it 3 disk and make the 3rd disk just for multiplayer,new map content and new skins.

orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#10 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
I DO think MGS4 would seriously boost the sales of the 360 in some ways. but it's the developers decision on whether or not to go multiplat :P
seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 seankane
Member since 2007 • 4076 Posts

Edit: *care*

Also, on the business side, exclusives are console sellers. MS, Sony and Nintendo will all have 1st party development teams, and they will alsobuy the rights to exclusivity from certain publishers for certain games. Its all about giving people reasons to buy your console over the opposition.

orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 orb_03_2006
I DO think MGS4 would seriously boost the sales of the 360 in some ways. but it's the developers decision on whether or not to go multiplat :P
AceJakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 AceJakk
Member since 2007 • 344 Posts

two dvd's does not a blu-ray disc make. sorry, but a 360 port would either have to be horrendously compressed to fit onto two/three dvd's or be roughly five DVD's at current compression rates.

As far as those arguing for multiplat, I don't think it would work as well - I know I wouldn't be willing to trade MGS4 for Halo 3 (if I were Sony). The people who are willing to buy Halo 3 already have, opening exclusivity wouldn't alter that.

orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 orb_03_2006

two dvd's does not a blu-ray disc make. sorry, but a 360 port would either have to be horrendously compressed to fit onto two/three dvd's or be roughly five DVD's at current compression rates.

As far as those arguing for multiplat, I don't think it would work as well - I know I wouldn't be willing to trade MGS4 for Halo 3 (if I were Sony). The people who are willing to buy Halo 3 already have, opening exclusivity wouldn't alter that.

AceJakk
excellent point.
tomo90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 tomo90
Member since 2005 • 2245 Posts
[QUOTE="AceJakk"]

Also considering MGS2: Substance port was from an inferior machine tech wise to a more powerful machine and still sucked performance wise, this is Epic Fail before it's even begun.
Behamut123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Behamut123
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Put it in the perspective of a football match. You have a star striker who is bringing in fans in the thousands, and winning you every match. Why the hell would you want to then share that guy with your closest rival, thus halving your fan income and destroying your match advantage?

dok_dx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dok_dx
Member since 2005 • 2380 Posts

If it could be done without too much loss of performance, even if it takes 4 dvds I'd say Konami and Kojima should do it. It's a great game and all gamers should have the opportunity to play it. However, the argument about exclusives are valid. But, I think exclusives should be 1st party only. Why hamper 3rd party Dev from profiting from their hard work? The only argument I would buy is that a 3rd party Dev. can concentrate on making a great game for one system by spending all their time and effort on that one system. However, if a 1st party or the original dev could port it latter a.k.a Bioshock for the PS3 then do it.

x8VXU6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 x8VXU6
Member since 2008 • 3411 Posts

if there was no exclusives then wat would make a 360 different from a ps3 it wouldnt matter which system u had it would have the same thing

dok_dx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dok_dx
Member since 2005 • 2380 Posts

if there was no exclusives then wat would make a 360 different from a ps3 it wouldnt matter which system u had it would have the same thing

x8VXU6

I said 1st party exclusives only. That would make them different. Let 3rd party dev go multi-plat.