My take on the whole ranked match fiasco on Gears of War

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rvdecwthug1976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Rvdecwthug1976
Member since 2005 • 4593 Posts

Ever since the first update on Gears of War, I have noticed many things on Gears of War, some of the stuff for the better, but much of it has been for the worse

Let's talk about the positive things with the first update, before I go onto talking about the negative things

1. It got rid of Farming the Downs during Execution and limiting the downs to only 3, so therefore a player or group of players cannot get 10 to 20 downs a round and that was ruining the game before, because it was disruptive to matches and it just got on people's nerves and made people quit

2. Getting rid of the Security Cameras from Ranked Matches, so a dead teammate cannot look around on the Security Cameras and private chat a teammate that is alive, tell where the emeny is at on the map

Now onto the Negative things

1. Getting rid of the host name in Ranked Matches was one of the worst decisions to be made on this game, getting rid of the host name has only caused a player to get stuck with more players that act stupid and just become annoying and to tell you the truth, getting rid of the host name, has not stopped people from playing with Friends on Ranked Matches

Because all you have to do is private chat a teammate and go to the find a custom match and scroll through the menus and if you want to get a teammate in a ranked match and you want to play the mansion for example, you look for a number of rounds, where nobody else has a Mansion open and you take that room and tell your friends, that nobody else but me, has a room open with that amount of rounds on that map and boom they are too the room in no time

Another thing ever since the host name has been removed, fewer people are playing Ranked Matches on Gears of War now and that really sucks

2. The Shotgun between host and the other players has only became worse, because it seems like since that update that the Host Shotgun is more powerful then the other players in the match and I have noticed this, because since I host many matches and I have joined my share of games, yes it has always been an issue, but it has got worse since the patch

3. Ever since that first update, you get that Connection Error constantly during matches, it does not matter how good of a connection that you or the host have, because I have a very good connection and I know friends that have T1 for a connection and they even get the connection error message way too much. So the issue is not anybody's connection

4. I mentioned earlier that limiting the amount of Downs in Ranked Matches was a good thing, but it has came at a cost, because during Execution, you are suppose to be Executed to die during that, but after you are downed 3 times, you are basically just being punished for the greed of other players, because the farming of downs is what caused Epic Games to have to put that into the game, so it would not disrupt the match

5. The Ranked Matches on Gears of War are full of too many whining kids, because everytime you turn around you hear some little kid crying about being grenade tagged or being chainsawed and that has only became worse since the patch

If you do not like what is part of the game, then you should not play the game, if it is part of the game, then it is fair game to be used

Things that I would like to seen them have fixed

1. Make it so that Execution is only played with a 5 second bleed out, I mean no more giving players the option to have more then a 5 second bleed out, because anything more then that just makes Execution Warzone and it defeats the purpose of Execution

2. I do not know why it is, but the host Advantage on Gears of War is more obvious, then it is on any other game on Xbox Live and find a way to make things, so that everybody has an equal Shotgun

3. Spread the Weapons out on Certain Maps better, like on Gridlock for Example, the Grenades are way too close to the Sniper Rifle in the Sniper Tower, make it so that the whole team cannot gather around 1 weapon and spreading out the weapons on the Maps, makes it so that there are more 1 on 1 battles or 2 on 2 battles instead of forcing all the action to 1 area on the map

4. Make it so that Achievements can be earned during Players Matches, instead of only Ranked Matches, because as long as Achievements can only be earned during Ranked Matches, players are going to find a way to play with each other during Ranked Matches

For Example, Make the Achievements harder to earn in Player Matches, if they ever choose to put that in, Like make it so that you have to have double or Triple what you do in Ranked Matches, make it so you have to earn 200 or 300 Kills with a certain weapon to earn that Weapon Achievement, because then there is still a lot of hardwork involved to earn that Achievement

5. It is a joke that the Seriously achievement is only worth 50 points, when you have other games, where it takes 30 minutes in a Sports Game to earn an achievement for 100 points, when it takes months of Playing to earn that seriously achievement and only get 50 Measly points

I still think Gears of War is an awesome game, but Epic Games made some bad mistakes with the game with the first update and they did not need to fix the stuff that they fixed, expect the number of downs that a player can be downed during Execution and removing the Security Cameras from Ranked Matches

But Epic needs to understand that if they are going to stop friends from Playing with Each other, they need to consider some of these things, because the only way to ever stop friends from playing with Each other during a Ranked Match is too remove the option of finding a Custom Match during Ranked Matches and only allow you to join a Quick Match or to not allow players to host a Ranked Match

SymphonicWaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SymphonicWaves
Member since 2006 • 832 Posts
It's funny you tell everyone else not to complain, then you turn around and complain.
njdss4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#3 njdss4
Member since 2003 • 2721 Posts
Bleh, don't pay attention to all the people who give you crap for voicing your opinions, Rvdecwthug19. I think you're right, and it's the reason why Lost Planet multiplayer is more fun. I don't even like Lost Planet, but it's multiplayer is still better.
SymphonicWaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SymphonicWaves
I agree you should voice your opinions, but don't tell everyone else to shut up while you make essay long post complaining about stuff, pretty hypocritical. I think they need to fix the host advantage, and create a system that actually ranks you. Skilled players should play against, and more importantly, with, skilled players. And noobs/people who suck should play with other noobs and people who suck. Oh, and if you quit a game, you get banned from joining another match for a certain amount of time. I say it should escalate every time you do it. That'd cut back on the amount of people who quit. Maybe 30 mins.
dudy80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dudy80
Member since 2004 • 1787 Posts
I agree you should voice your opinions, but don't tell everyone else to shut up while you make essay long post complaining about stuff, pretty hypocritical. I think they need to fix the host advantage, and create a system that actually ranks you. Skilled players should play against, and more importantly, with, skilled players. And noobs/people who suck should play with other noobs and people who suck. Oh, and if you quit a game, you get banned from joining another match for a certain amount of time. I say it should escalate every time you do it. That'd cut back on the amount of people who quit. Maybe 30 mins.SymphonicWaves

Hell, has anyone ever even proved the host advantage? Yes its faster on there end, but a 10th of a second isin't what i call an advantage.
LTomlinson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 LTomlinson21
Member since 2004 • 24423 Posts
I haven't noticed a decrease in the number of people playing ranked matches, besides the fact fewer matches show up when you search, which was done on purpose. I hated them doing that, though. The host advantage, shotgun, has really not changed much and I only notice it in some of my games. Even if they were to up the achievements for player matches, it would still be all to easy. Yes, the "Seriously..." achievement is only 50, but don't compare it to those other games. That is just based off the devs and how hard or easy they want them to be. I think most of the maps are well-balanced, besides Rooftops.
SymphonicWaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SymphonicWaves
[QUOTE="SymphonicWaves"]I agree you should voice your opinions, but don't tell everyone else to shut up while you make essay long post complaining about stuff, pretty hypocritical. I think they need to fix the host advantage, and create a system that actually ranks you. Skilled players should play against, and more importantly, with, skilled players. And noobs/people who suck should play with other noobs and people who suck. Oh, and if you quit a game, you get banned from joining another match for a certain amount of time. I say it should escalate every time you do it. That'd cut back on the amount of people who quit. Maybe 30 mins.dudy80

Hell, has anyone ever even proved the host advantage? Yes its faster on there end, but a 10th of a second isin't what i call an advantage.

It's about half a second delay, and when it comes to the shotgun, that's all you need. What looks to the non host as a perfect shot, if really only giving half the blast, where as when the host has his reticule over you, it's over you. It's not a problem if two non host fight, they both suffer from the same handicap, but when the host get's into the fray, it's lame. If you played host, you'd notice the problem. It's also big with the chainsaw. When i'm not host, I get chained by an opponent from 5 feet away. When I'm host? I can be inches from someone with a chainsaw revved up and still blast them with my shotty.
njdss4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#8 njdss4
Member since 2003 • 2721 Posts
What SymphonicWaves said about having to wait after quitting a match is a really good idea. World of Warcraft has that system in its Battlegrounds and it works great. If you just get disconnected you can still get back into the match as long as it's still going. If you just quit there is a 15 minute cooldown til you can join your next BG.
judgepeter813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 judgepeter813
Member since 2005 • 1009 Posts
i agree with what you said tc... and yes there has been a decrease in people playing gears ranked, i can barely find a good match
SymphonicWaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SymphonicWaves
i agree with what you said tc... and yes there has been a decrease in people playing gears ranked, i can barely find a good matchjudgepeter813
Whenever I host a match, I get about two rounds before half the original amount have quit.
Rvdecwthug1976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Rvdecwthug1976

I haven't noticed a decrease in the number of people playing ranked matches, besides the fact fewer matches show up when you search, which was done on purpose. I hated them doing that, though. The host advantage, shotgun, has really not changed much and I only notice it in some of my games. Even if they were to up the achievements for player matches, it would still be all to easy. Yes, the "Seriously..." achievement is only 50, but don't compare it to those other games.

That is just based off the devs and how hard or easy they want them to be. I think most of the maps are well-balanced, besides Rooftops.

LTomlinson21

I think the Map that is the most well balanced is Mausoleum, because you have more weapons on that Map then any other Map in the game is everything is spread out good, like both teams get Grenades in their spawns and I like having The Sniper being on one side of the Map and the Torque bow being on the other end of the other side of the Map and the Boomshot being right in the middle of the Map, that is the most well balanced Map out of all the Maps

It is not my Favorite Map, it is one of my Favorites, but my Favorite Map is the Mansion though

SymphonicWaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SymphonicWaves
My least favorite stage is rooftops. I hate the hammer of dawn on that stage.
Rvdecwthug1976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Rvdecwthug1976

My least favorite stage is rooftops. I hate the hammer of dawn on that stage.

SymphonicWaves

I do not play that map very often either, it a map that anybody that plays on that map must know how to use the hammer of down or avoid it

PR3MO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PR3MO
Member since 2007 • 38 Posts
I agree with most of the things you mentioned, especially the one about player matches and achievements.
But, I cant agree with the 5 second down thing. SOME time must be allowed to actually give a chance to get there in time.
Generic_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Generic_Dude
Member since 2006 • 11707 Posts

I agreed with some of the things you mentioned, but it's a little long and I got bored and decided to post. When I first started playing this game, I sucked at the MP but I liked it. I stopped playing it for a while to play another game and came back post patch... and it's just a mess. Latency, lag, and always getting stuck with the most annoying people ever because most of the reasonable people just said "F THIS".

What an abortion this game has turned into... started off pretty promising and they just torpedoed it. I thought the backlash against the patch was an overreaction, but after witnessing what's happened since, I've got to agree with the angry mob. I probably won't buy Gears Of War 2 because of this nonsense.

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
The host shotgun isnt more powerful in any way, its just that everyone but the host has lag, its the same with every weapon.
Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts
I agree with the TC. If they fixed these problems AND add a MM system it would make me go back to it.
Rvdecwthug1976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Rvdecwthug1976

I agree with the TC. If they fixed these problems AND add a MM system it would make me go back to it.

II-FBIsniper-II

My biggest problem with the game ever since the first update is getting the Connection Error Message, that is the most annoying thing during a match and it makes me want to scream. Because before the first update, I never saw this appear at all

SymphonicWaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SymphonicWaves
The host shotgun isnt more powerful in any way, its just that everyone but the host has lag, its the same with every weapon.V4LENT1NE
Yea, but the shotty takes people out in 1 shot if aimed right. And the host has a much better chance of killing in that one shot.
callen3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 callen3
Member since 2005 • 1289 Posts
i think the host advantage is more obvious when you use the sniper rifle. If you are the host and pull the trigger while your crosshair is red you will hit the target. however, if you join a server, you will often see your bullet path not even come close to the target after you pull the trigger. They really need to add a lag/ping indicator.
SymphonicWaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SymphonicWaves
i think the host advantage is more obvious when you use the sniper rifle. If you are the host and pull the trigger while your crosshair is red you will hit the target. however, if you join a server, you will often see your bullet path not even come close to the target after you pull the trigger. They really need to add a lag/ping indicator.callen3
Nah, it's shotties. Especially since the host always has a shotty. There are 7 other people who may get it ya know? Raven Down is horrible if you're not on the host team. The host will just wipe you out.
Wellfedmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Wellfedmonkey
Member since 2006 • 1477 Posts
Having ranked and player matches does suck! I sshould be able to just boot it up and join in with my friends. Halo2 has still got me spoiled on its matchmaking system and I feel should be the standard despite what alot of others say.
Avatar image for Millennium_King
Millennium_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Millennium_King
Member since 2006 • 4362 Posts
honestly, gears multiplayer is boring. lost planet and r6v are all i play now.
SymphonicWaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SymphonicWaves
honestly, gears multiplayer is boring. lost planet and r6v are all i play now. Millennium_King
It's still fun kinda. But the way it's set up really doesn't invite anything other then deathmatch, which is pretty much all the MP is at this point.
Avatar image for Millennium_King
Millennium_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Millennium_King
Member since 2006 • 4362 Posts

[QUOTE="Millennium_King"]honestly, gears multiplayer is boring. lost planet and r6v are all i play now. SymphonicWaves
It's still fun kinda. But the way it's set up really doesn't invite anything other then deathmatch, which is pretty much all the MP is at this point.

i admit that it was more fun before the patch. gears got buggy, and a bit crappy after it.