My dvds dont play in widescreen?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rockafella143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Rockafella143
Member since 2006 • 1320 Posts

I just got a 42 LCD and dvds on my xbox dont play in widescreen. Games are widescreen (16:9) and dvds are widescreen(says on the box) whats wrong?

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#2 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
If you're asking how to make the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen go away, you can't. When a DVD is presented in widescreen you get those black bars.
djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 djrobst
Member since 2007 • 2404 Posts
its because the dvds you are watching arnt wide screen its trying to show you them in the best resolution for picture quality, now i have a remote and i wouldnt belive what the guy above says because you can change the aspect ratio. but the options you can get up by pressing a button on the pad, one of them lets you alter the aspect ratio. if you have the remote you can press display and find it there. im sure its like a picture of a square that changes it for you
FMX_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FMX_Gamer
Member since 2006 • 406 Posts

While watching a dvd press a go to advanced then go to display mode (letterbox, strech, and native)

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
[QUOTE="djrobst"]its because the dvds you are watching arnt wide screen its trying to show you them in the best resolution for picture quality, now i have a remote and i wouldnt belive what the guy above says because you can change the aspect ratio. but the options you can get up by pressing a button on the pad, one of them lets you alter the aspect ratio. if you have the remote you can press display and find it there. im sure its like a picture of a square that changes it for you

What I said is true. Yes you can change the ratio but all you're doing is stretching the image. It doesn't look right IMO. I can't even stand a bit of overscan. There are tv's being released now that are the same aspect ratio as widescreen movies so you no longer get the black bars. They cost quite a lot though.
rEs_uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rEs_uk
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Hi,

Having the same problems as the author. The dashboard and games are widescreen on my projector, but loading up any dvd film (tried a few) black bars appear to the left and right and the image is 4:3 looking streched / distorted.

Hitting B and going to advanced choose the display options, toggling through native etc all doesnt make the image fill the screen. Just makes the image more or less stretched within its 4:3 box

I've recently changed from a dead Old 360 Pro to a new arcade as it had RROD, they used to play ok.

My system settings are 720P widescreen

MazehcS0ul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 MazehcS0ul
Member since 2009 • 1773 Posts

Xbox 360 is not for watching movies!

Avatar image for FunkyHeadHunter
FunkyHeadHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FunkyHeadHunter
Member since 2007 • 1758 Posts

Xbox 360 is not for watching movies!

MazehcS0ul

According to all the hardware problems its not for much of anything. Keep on topic please or I will have to lock this thread.

I have always wanted to say that..:)

poordude1089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 poordude1089
Member since 2006 • 328 Posts

When you're playing the DVD, hit Y to bring up the DVD controls, then hit the button on the right to bring up advanced options, and change the video frame to stretch. That'll solve your problem.