my 360 is making a clicking noise...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Patriot298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Patriot298
Member since 2006 • 1187 Posts

I don't no whats going on here but for about the last 2 months every time I turn my 360 on right after the green light comes on I hear a clicking sound. Anyone heard of this and should I be worried? It also makes the same sound like 5 to 10 seconds after you turn it off.

pppjjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 pppjjj
Member since 2004 • 1094 Posts
Happen to me too had to fix it myself. i think it's a problem with the disk drive.
Patriot298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Patriot298
Member since 2006 • 1187 Posts

Happen to me too had to fix it myself. i think it's a problem with the disk drive.pppjjj

Mine doesn't sound like it's the disc drive. It sounds like it has something to do with the power supply inside where it connects or something. I just checked out you-tube and seen others have done the same thing.

pppjjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 pppjjj
Member since 2004 • 1094 Posts
Call Microsoft and get that checked out cause. If it is dealing with the power supply, inside the Xbox that is not good it might get worst get it checked out immediately. sorry i couldn't help.
wukepingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 wukepingu
Member since 2008 • 713 Posts

You might have to get a new power suply. Pray that it doesn't RROD.

Nitro720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 Nitro720
Member since 2006 • 662 Posts
Maybe the disc is still spinning while it is in the drive ahter you turn you console off, thats what it does. Check your game disc because there is a possiblity that it may be damaged from the center-out. I had that that problem with my Forza @ disc.
Nitro720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 Nitro720
Member since 2006 • 662 Posts
Maybe the disc is still spinning while it is in the drive ahter you turn you console off, thats what it does. Check your game disc because there is a possiblity that it may be damaged from the center-out. I had that that problem with my Forza2 disc.
BHolmes58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BHolmes58
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Happen to me too had to fix it myself. i think it's a problem with the disk drive.pppjjj
And how did you fix it? My Xbox does it too! and it is coming from the disk drive.
Avatar image for DolphZigglerFan
DolphZigglerFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DolphZigglerFan
Mine doesn't make any clicking noise only if I hit or drop it something if not it is fine
ikn3z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ikn3z
Member since 2003 • 586 Posts

When my old xbox started clicking, it Red Ringed a month or two after. Good luck.

tgunn80526

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 tgunn80526
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

When my old xbox started clicking, it Red Ringed a month or two after. Good luck.

ikn3z

Yeah...same here...clicking sounds first and then games would stop with the 360 stating that needed to clean the dissk or the disk was unreadable...even new games right out of the box...got the RROD last week and of course XBOX.com states that I am no longer under warranty...even though I have 6 months left according to the date on the back of the 360...so, I will either have to buy another one or use the one I have as a door stop...:cry:

ikn3z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ikn3z
Member since 2003 • 586 Posts

[QUOTE="ikn3z"]

tgunn80526

Yeah...same here...clicking sounds first and then games would stop with the 360 stating that needed to clean the dissk or the disk was unreadable...even new games right out of the box...got the RROD last week and of course XBOX.com states that I am no longer under warranty...even though I have 6 months left according to the date on the back of the 360...so, I will either have to buy another one or use the one I have as a door stop...:cry:

Yup, exactly what happened to me, but I was actually out of warranty. Just picked up an Elite though, and it's pretty sexy.

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
[QUOTE="ikn3z"]

[QUOTE="tgunn80526"]

[QUOTE="ikn3z"]

Yup, exactly what happened to me, but I was actually out of warranty. Just picked up an Elite though, and it's pretty sexy.

you lost all save data then?
tgunn80526

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tgunn80526
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="ikn3z"]

[QUOTE="tgunn80526"]

SoAmazingBaby

you lost all save data then?

Yeah, I am looking for the red 360 from RE5 if they are still available...but will probably pick up an arcade live version otherwise...already have the 120 HD and thats more that I need actually...

Concerning the saved data, I still have everything on the hard drive and back up memory cards...learned that the hard way to always back up files...so, I will have to play waiting game to get downloaded games redownloaded off of XBox Live

360hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 360hammer
Member since 2009 • 2596 Posts

[QUOTE="ikn3z"]

tgunn80526

Call 1-800-4MY-XBOX, complain about it in a nice way and if they still want you to cough up $150 tell them you would rather get a PS3 and I bet they send you a box and refurb LOL.

soundwave123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 soundwave123

My new xbox 360 S is making a minor clicking sound when i shake it but i just got it and it doesn't sound serious.

Should i be worried? Please reply thx

goki1012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 goki1012
Member since 2010 • 449 Posts
Install games to HDD. It could also bee the power supply that makes noise. My cousin's does that sometimes.
jky2345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jky2345
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
when i put in call of duty black ops it makes a cliking niose.my freind tolled me to put cremey penut butter on my disc. leve it for 5 to 10 minutes and get warm water on the disc and get the penut butter on it what shuld i do?!?!?!
jky2345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jky2345
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
my disc has a crak in the middle of it and it didint work
pure2330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 pure2330
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

you dont loose the save data just take the data device out

xxxCr00k3dxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 xxxCr00k3dxxx
Member since 2009 • 1006 Posts
Yeah this is it, you probably have a model from 3 or more years ago i beleive. It's the Hitachi drive that they used, there were known failures where the laser would come unglued after pro longed exposure to the heat your 360 gave off. That clicking noise is your laser moving up and down because it is coming unglued, I actually had to just go out and buy a new xbox because of this. Btw, eventually your 360 won't read discs, any of them.
xxxCr00k3dxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 xxxCr00k3dxxx
Member since 2009 • 1006 Posts
when i put in call of duty black ops it makes a cliking niose.my freind tolled me to put cremey penut butter on my disc. leve it for 5 to 10 minutes and get warm water on the disc and get the penut butter on it what shuld i do?!?!?!jky2345
Wow, just realised you bumped an almost 3 year old thread, which explains my reasoning for the Hitachi Drive...Bbtw, you should get a new Black Ops disc, or find a local rental store, to repair scratches on their game/movies tehy use a laser. It should only be 5 dollars and you can repare it...
Scr00I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 Scr00I
Member since 2009 • 1130 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it if its only when it starts up, and turns off.

Stevo7991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Stevo7991
Member since 2010 • 1319 Posts
when i put in call of duty black ops it makes a cliking niose.my freind tolled me to put cremey penut butter on my disc. leve it for 5 to 10 minutes and get warm water on the disc and get the penut butter on it what shuld i do?!?!?!jky2345
Here's what you should do, actually step back a second - putting buttery objects on the disc is not gonna help I believe, and second of all don't bump a 2 and a quarter year old thread and have a nice day.