My 360 is annoying me, can someone tell me what's wrong with it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sakura321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Sakura321
Member since 2005 • 533 Posts

Basically, a few months ago I was in the middle of playing a game, and my 360 just turned off by itself and came back on. Once it turned on, the light on the power button kept flashing, the disc bar on the screen said "open tray" even though there was a game in there and when I tried to take the game out; the disc tray wouldn't bloody open. So I left it off for a while, came back to it, and it worked fine. The problem again is... it did it every now and then :/

Fast forward to September/October, me and my friend were playing Halo 3 together on coop (split screen), and, yup! It turned off and turned back on again, and the disc drive wouldn't come out, still. I unplugged everything and plugged it all back in again and it worked fine. Even when I was watching a movie on it with my girlfriend, it still switched off... wrecking the mood -_- Plus, everytime it switches off it makes this weird noise like something is being scratched, but I always check the disc inside it afterwards and it's in perfect condition o.o

Now, 2 days ago, I bought Eternal Sonata and while the opening scene was going on, it turned off, switched on, turned off and switched on repeatedly. So I unplugged everything and plugged everything back in again, and it STILL wouldn't work. So I left it for the next day.The next day it still kept switching off again (repeatedly), but it worked after about an hour and has been ever since... I can't play a game anymore without having a fear that my 360 is gonna turn off on it's own again! Does anyone know what's causing this? Or at least how I can fix it without going through Microsoft... this problem is becoming very VERY irritating.

Thanks you in advance :)

Avatar image for Hamster-of-Fate
Hamster-of-Fate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Hamster-of-Fate
Member since 2007 • 297 Posts
Thats your typical xbox 360 for ya
Raz0redge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Raz0redge
Member since 2004 • 1796 Posts

You should call MS and look into getting it replaced based on when you bought the 360. If it's a launch 360, you have a 3 year warranty. If you bought it recently from a store and have their warranty see what you can do.

If it's been doing these things with greater frequency, there is no reason to believe that it's going to stop and behave later on.

Thats your typical xbox 360 for yaHamster-of-Fate

Fanboy much?

Sakura321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Sakura321
I've never heard complaints like this from 360 owners :/
Chargers37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Chargers37
Member since 2007 • 48 Posts
I've heard alot of the 360's burn out. 1 of my friends has had problems on shuting of before too. Luckily, they still had a warrenty, I suggest that if you still have the warrinty....
Sakura321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sakura321

You should call MS and look into getting it replaced based on when you bought the 360. If it's a launch 360, you have a 3 year warranty. If you bought it recently from a store and have their warranty see what you can do.

If it's been doing these things with greater frequency, there is no reason to believe that it's going to stop and behave later onRaz0redge

I got it for christmas 06

And I don't really feel like going through MS... you know what they're customer service is like :P

Avatar image for Hamster-of-Fate
Hamster-of-Fate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Hamster-of-Fate

Thats your typical xbox 360 for yaHamster-of-Fate

Fanboy much?

Calling me a fanboy?

Gualoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gualoh

Do you have your 360 connected to a power strip? Is your TV connected to the same strip? My 360 would crap out alot awhile ago, but I just replaced the power strip (sorry, I don't know what they are called) and now it's all gravy. Sometimes the switches go out in those things.

Maybe one of those intercooler things? Those kill.

degobah77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 degobah77
Member since 2006 • 1048 Posts

You need to check your power source. Are you plugged directly into an outlet or through a surge protector?

If it's a surge protector, plug into the wall and see if the problem persists. If you're already in the wall outlet, install a surge protector.

Also check how many total devices you have plugged onto that power circuit.

SizeMatterzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SizeMatterzz
Member since 2007 • 1858 Posts

If it's been doing these things with greater frequency, there is no reason to believe that it's going to stop and behave later on.

[QUOTE="Hamster-of-Fate"]Thats your typical xbox 360 for yaRaz0redge

Fanboy much?

huh? but hes right that make him a fanboy, the 360 breaks like cake. thats just how it is.

sleepy357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 sleepy357
Member since 2006 • 64 Posts

my 360 would turn off and turn back on just like yours. Finally I got the the three red rings of DEATH. I called MS and they sent me a box to send her in. Customer service was nice and it took only about five minutes on the phone. My 360 was around the same time as yours. Good luck!

JFRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JFRocker
Member since 2003 • 205 Posts

It probably has something to do with the fact that it's made by Microsoft :( Definitely try calling MS and you may be able to send it in. Be warned, you will not receive the same 360 back.

eylshazuela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 eylshazuela
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
it means you will get 3 rings of death
Sakura321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sakura321

o_o

heihhfurhsh NO! God, I can't have it get the RROD. Now I'm worried -_- My 360 breaks down I wont have games to play except old ones on my PS2 at home! It'd make my girlfriend happy lol

My power source for it is what I got, the main cable, going into the "brick" to the wall, and the audio/visual cables going to the back of the TV, so I don't see what's wrong there...

ByFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ByFly
Member since 2006 • 1917 Posts

Its alive its alive!!! oops its dying its dying.. peep peep lok

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#16 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts

[QUOTE="Hamster-of-Fate"]Thats your typical xbox 360 for yaRaz0redge

Fanboy much?

It really is your typical 360. I'm on #4 despite taking better care of it than most people take care of their children.

Strap_happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Strap_happy
Member since 2005 • 682 Posts

[QUOTE="Hamster-of-Fate"]Thats your typical xbox 360 for yaHamster-of-Fate

Fanboy much?

Calling me a fanboy?

Gregoroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Gregoroth
Member since 2005 • 2552 Posts
You're best off phoning tech support. As long as you're civil to them, then you'll get the problem sorted pretty swiftly. The console has 1 calender year warranty on it. As long as you've got the invoice to scan, there's no problem.

There is the option of doing it online but I tried that a few days ago and the email link I was sent for my box labels refused to work and I ended up having to phone them (UK). You could TRY it but it's probably wasted time.

*Make sure you've got your console's serial number written down as they'll ask you for it.
Sakura321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sakura321

The receipt is kept somewhere safe, and uh... I guess the serial number ison the console?

Guh, may aswell ring up MS and ask...

SilentPinoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SilentPinoy
Member since 2007 • 37 Posts
Power surge,maybe?
NOD_Grindking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NOD_Grindking
Member since 2004 • 2778 Posts
Get it repaired and overwith now...rather then wait and have it bunk out while your playing something new again!
Sakura321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Sakura321
Lol, gotta wait till I get home :P
SirCokerThe1st

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SirCokerThe1st
Member since 2007 • 286 Posts
Well, this happend to me. I took the shell off of my 360 and it got all better, haven't had a problem since.