MW2: Does anyone actually care about K/D ratio?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts

So, I am a pretty bad MW2 player. Granted, I only started playing yesterday, but still, I'm pretty bad at it. The thing of it is that I don't really care about K/D ratio, because of the type of game MW2 is. I mean sure, it tracks that information, and it's listed on the scoreboard, but it actually isn't THAT important. But it seems like whenever people want to talk about MW2, they start off by saying things like "my ratio is 2.6" or something like that. But here is my problem with this system:

1) Campers anyone? Yeah, the idea that K/D ratio is the most important facet of your stats is legitimizing campers, since they are just boosting their points.

2) Hurray for your epeen! Yeah, I have never seen anyone say to another person "Wow! That's an awesome ratio, I am really impressed by you!" Seems like the only person who cares about the ratio is the individual player, and boy do little kids love to scream over XBL when you get a negative ratio

3) People don't care about objectives! When I see a capture point I can take, I go and try to take it. Sure, that means that I am leaving myself wide open for taking bullets. And you know what I notice? Half of my team is sitting just outside the capture circle, watching for me to die so they can get a kill. If they had been helping me, we could have taken the point before the bullets start flying.

Idk, I am just wondering how many people actually CARE what their ratio is. Of course, half of the people here are probably going to lie, saying that they don't care, and then go brag about how high their ratio is to their friends. Ah, the joys of the internet.

BEANTOWN85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 BEANTOWN85
Member since 2009 • 68 Posts

I don't pay attention to that stuff I just play for fun. Usually when I first get the game I pay attention to it, but as time goes on it's not something I really care about. For me, K/D ratio isn't really a true measure of how good a player is because that person is usually someone who camps all the time and/or they don't play the game the way it's supposed to be played. For example they might just not play the objective game to win the game, they might just play it for kills and care less about the win/loss aspect of the game.

Of course there are always going to be the nerds in the game that are bragging about their ratio but I sure as hell do not care. The only time it really even matters is when it's team deathmatch. Those are the only games that I pay attention to my kill/death ratio and I pretty much play strictly hardcore now.

lakersfan576

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lakersfan576
Member since 2010 • 70 Posts

I hate K/D and think it has removed some of the fun factor from FPS due to WAY too many people caring about it and not playing the game mode correctly or by "camping." However I wont deny that I also do care about my K/D, just natural given my extremely competitive nature, even though i really try not to. It hardly influences the way I would play game mode. I think it would be great if they removed K/D tracking so that people could start playing for fun again, or just make it only viewable on the developer's site like it for Halo and Bungie.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 1

#5 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts

Well in any game I play for the win. If I go negative in a game like Dom or Demolition and we win, it's ok. But if I go negative in TDM, then it's not because the entire point of the game mode is that you go positive. It's impossible to win in TDM if everyone goes negative.

Sweet_Genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Sweet_Genocide
Member since 2009 • 777 Posts

I have no idea what my overall K/D is and I don't care. I do care about going positive so that my team can't blame the loss on me. If I'm dragging my team down, I quit out.

jarhead1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 jarhead1990
Member since 2005 • 2079 Posts

I'm so over CoD. Sometimes I play a game or two of Modern Warfare 1 and reminisce about the good days.

tomrocks666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 tomrocks666
Member since 2005 • 3569 Posts

mw2? no, black ops? yeah, im not sure why but i dont like going negative on black ops because i know its usually no fault of my own, but MW2 i couldnt care less about my K/D, its an awful game and i never want to touch it again after trying it again today. its the worst game i have ever played, ever.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

No. I play a lot of Headquarters, so the objective is my one and only concern.

gta4_2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 gta4_2112
Member since 2007 • 3270 Posts

When I played MW2 that was one of my top priorities lol.

MaChaorules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 MaChaorules
Member since 2005 • 4951 Posts
Yes, I play TDM and K/d is pretty important to me. Probably more because having a bunch of good games makes X amount of k/d the standard to me so I hate when I go under.
i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

i played ffa so yes

and even if i were to play other modes, still yes

u seem to only dislike kill/death because, like u said, ur bad. seems kinda childish to start ranting about a system being bad or w/e, mainly cause it constantly reminds u of how poorly u performed, if only because everyone else u asked has a much better K/D

and who goes around in real life telling people their K/D, only time i brought it up was when people asked

and people who do good, camp? yeah thats what every noob says while hes prone in a hallway, locked onto the only entrance and still gets killed.

if you dont care about k/d fine, then dont ***** when u die or make threads saying how stupid it is

cause then u just come off more like ur just upset that u cant do better

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#13 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

Well in any game I play for the win. If I go negative in a game like Dom or Demolition and we win, it's ok. But if I go negative in TDM, then it's not because the entire point of the game mode is that you go positive. It's impossible to win in TDM if everyone goes negative.

realguitarhero5
Agreed in tdm kd ratio is vital.
skooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 skooks
Member since 2006 • 1411 Posts

Don't care about it, don't really look at it other than an occassional look out of curiosity. People who breathe for their ratio bug me. Nothing more annoying than people rage quitting because they're on the losing team.

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

I dont care becauase i usually get the game 2 weeks after and you've got CoD freaks who are like priestage 2 and just mow you down...

billionz_rican

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 billionz_rican
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
you dont win anything by having a good k/d ratio, i once was ranked #9 on the orginal call of juarez but i never recieved an award or anything for it, just one stalker who sounded gey lol
Avatar image for TheRaiderNation
TheRaiderNation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheRaiderNation
Member since 2007 • 1653 Posts

The only time I actaully care about K/D ratio is at the end of a Free for all or Team deathmatch. In those modes, K/D is an indicator as to how you actaully did.

Outside of that I could care less what my overall K/D is or what my K/D is at the end of matches in other modes such as capture the flag, etc. Personally I think if you care about your overall K/D you are having less fun in the game then you could be having

Enid_Green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Enid_Green
Member since 2010 • 1261 Posts

Halo and Goldeneye were pretty much the only FPS multiplayer games I ever played until I picked up MW2, and I was absolutely terrible and couldn't figure out why (I don't completely suck at very many games). After about 8 hours of playing though, I eventually started picking up the rhythm of the game and realizing how I needed to play differently and instead of having 17 deaths and 2 kills, I was evening out to scores closer to 1:1.

And I agree with you. There are a lot of inflated egos online. And while I won't argue that I'm barely an average playing and someone with twice the killscore of me is probably a better player, a lot of those "pro" players sit in a corner and pick off people that happen to stumble in front of them.

RedReckoning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 RedReckoning
Member since 2009 • 638 Posts

What is the point in caring about stats? Videogames are a bunch of pixels on a tv screen, and for some reason we care about statistics in an imaginary world more than our actual world. Is your life at all affected if your K/D is low? No. You will miraculously survive.

Avatar image for deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
Member since 2006 • 6013 Posts

While I hate dying more than I kill, I focus more on having fun and trying to win the match (by doing the proper objectives).

Cube_of_MooN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 Cube_of_MooN
Member since 2005 • 9286 Posts
I care to an extent in TDM, but in objective games I care more about winning than the number of kills I get.