MS is lucky, do you agree?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for CortezThePirate
CortezThePirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CortezThePirate
Member since 2005 • 209 Posts
there is a sticky dedicated to broken 360's and a lot of the threads relate to people having problems with the 360.  My god - if MS wasn't handling the warranty so well, people could turn on the 360 simply because of all the problems... at $400 its not exactly cheap (much cheaper than PS3).  Some people are claiming to be on their 3rd, 4th or 5th system... some even higher...  MS has a little bit of luck on their side to keep everyone coming back and wanting the 360... which is good, but still, maybe a little lucky.  I know if mine dies, I'll get another one.... how long is MS's warranty anyway...?
Avatar image for dragonslayerssj
dragonslayerssj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 dragonslayerssj
Member since 2003 • 1974 Posts
yes they are a bit lucky... but the standard warranty now is 1 year... and what is nice is if you send in you console and get a new one they extend that year warranty from the time you get your new or refurbished console. you can buy extended warranties as well.
crck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 crck
Member since 2006 • 2559 Posts
Warranty is one year now in the US.  They are losing some customers though.  I know I wont be getting another one until prices reach about $200 or less when I can no longer coax mine into turning on any more.  And I wont be buying any more games just rent them as I never know when its totally gonna conk out on me.
crck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 crck
yes they are a bit lucky... but the standard warranty now is 1 year... and what is nice is if you send in you console and get a new one they extend that year warranty from the time you get your new or refurbished console. you can buy extended warranties as well. dragonslayerssj
You are off on that.  They will extend the warranty another year IF you paid for your repairs.  Repairs done under the original warranty will retain the original warranty period or be extended up to 90 days.  Whichever is longer.
CortezThePirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CortezThePirate

How long have you had your system, are you outside the 1yr warranty?

Question on the 1yr warranty: who do you contact - a website or a phone number?  Do you just explain the problem, send it in, and they send you a totally "new" one?  Or do they try and fix yours?  Also, with this 1yr warranty, it seems like buying an extended warranty at a store is useless... usually the 360 poops w/in a yr.

Is their a 1yr warranty on both the core and the premium?

Avatar image for dragonslayerssj
dragonslayerssj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dragonslayerssj
Member since 2003 • 1974 Posts

[QUOTE="dragonslayerssj"]yes they are a bit lucky... but the standard warranty now is 1 year... and what is nice is if you send in you console and get a new one they extend that year warranty from the time you get your new or refurbished console. you can buy extended warranties as well. crck
You are off on that.  They will extend the warranty another year IF you paid for your repairs.  Repairs done under the original warranty will retain the original warranty period or be extended up to 90 days.  Whichever is longer.

i dont know they sent me a paper saying that my warranty would be extended another year or something like that... im almost positive. but you may be right, probably 90 days longer. if i can find that paper which i think i shot out ill have to read it again...

crck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 crck

How long have you had your system, are you outside the 1yr warranty?

Yeah I had mine for about 13.5 months.  Which is why I wrapped a towel around it to make it work. haha  You can read up about it on the web searching for "360 towel".

Question on the 1yr warranty: who do you contact - a website or a phone number?

You call a number.  1-800-4myxbox I think. 

Do you just explain the problem, send it in, and they send you a totally "new" one?

You explain the problem.  They will go through some troubleshooting to try and make it work.  When it still won't work they said ok and get your address to send you a prepaid box.   They use to just send you a refurb unit (someone else's broke unit that they supposedly fixed) but now I think they said they will try their hardest to get you your original system back.

Also, with this 1yr warranty, it seems like buying an extended warranty at a store is useless... usually the 360 poops w/in a yr.

The store warranty is a little bit better.  I believe they give you a new unit at least at Bestbuy.  So no waiting for the mail (usually 2 weeks) and you get a new unit right there.  Bad thing about store warranties is that once you get one replacement your warranty is done at the store.  You would have to buy a new warranty for your new replacement system.

Is their a 1yr warranty on both the core and the premium?

I believe its both.

CortezThePirate
crck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 crck

[QUOTE="crck"][QUOTE="dragonslayerssj"]yes they are a bit lucky... but the standard warranty now is 1 year... and what is nice is if you send in you console and get a new one they extend that year warranty from the time you get your new or refurbished console. you can buy extended warranties as well. dragonslayerssj

i dont know they sent me a paper saying that my warranty would be extended another year or something like that... im almost positive. but you may be right, probably 90 days longer. if i can find that paper which i think i shot out ill have to read it again...

Yeah you may have read the paper wrong.  Unless gamespot got it wrong because I got the info from their article on it.  http://www.gamespot.com/news/6168544.html?q=xbox%20warranty  .  I think its in the 2nd to last paragraph.
CortezThePirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CortezThePirate

Thanks for all the answers.

I can't think of any other product that craps so often, but is still so popular.  Which is good, cuz the 360 rules, but still...

litttlejohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 litttlejohn
Member since 2006 • 2247 Posts

well the system isnt breaking on people nearly as often it seems, which is a step in the right direction. I went through 4 systems until i got my unbreakable beast (watch it now explode as i jinx myself)  but i wouldnt say that ms is lucky, more like competitive. they released early so even if the systems were breaking down what were you going to do? for a while it was the only system out there, so you had to come back if you wanted next gen. Then the warrenty issue hit and sony fed off it so to be competitive ms upped the warrenty to match sony. when sony tried to pull the hd angle, ms released an hd dvd add on. And now that sony is trying to show off the memory and hdmi ms is coming right back with More memory and an hdmi connection. Its not them being lucky, its staying competitive with the competition. so now its more evened up and it starts to come down to games, which should come as no surprize to anyone then that ms is getting what was once playstation exlusives.

Avatar image for masterchief2371
masterchief2371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 masterchief2371
Member since 2004 • 1415 Posts
there is a sticky dedicated to broken 360's and a lot of the threads relate to people having problems with the 360.  My god - if MS wasn't handling the warranty so well, people could turn on the 360 simply because of all the problems... at $400 its not exactly cheap (much cheaper than PS3).  Some people are claiming to be on their 3rd, 4th or 5th system... some even higher...  MS has a little bit of luck on their side to keep everyone coming back and wanting the 360... which is good, but still, maybe a little lucky.  I know if mine dies, I'll get another one.... how long is MS's warranty anyway...?CortezThePirate
Duh of cause, the world richest man Bill Gate owns Microsoft you know, he is unstoppable.