Mirrors Edge Gamespot Revew

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

It got a 7.0. Here's the review.

It's pretty much what I predicted. I'll wait for the price to lower before I pick it up.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34775 Posts
Well, I sure didn't predict the combat and shooting to be weak and there to be more frustration than thrills.. The gameplay trailers did look awesome, so, for me, a 7 is surprisingly low. :(
jamejame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 jamejame
Member since 2005 • 10634 Posts

Thats a kind of stupid review in my opinion. The game takes skill, and until you get the hang of it, then there's obviously going to be a lot of trial and error + The gunplay is supposed to be weak, the game wants to discourage you from using guns except in a last ditch effort.

CyberElite85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CyberElite85
Member since 2005 • 276 Posts
I'll still get this. I enjoyed the demo, and I'll just ask for it as a holiday gift. :)
Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts
im getting it but even before reviews, while I was playing the demo, it felt to me that its not a 60 dollar game and that ill wait for a price drop to pick it up.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#6 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts
It should had been $40 like Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts N Bolts, that would had been better.
Lanezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lanezy
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts

I had a blast with the demo, but I could see how it would become repititive. And why is it only six hours long? Come on Dice, you know better than that.

I'll wait for it to hit the $20-$30 mark before I pick it up.

Avatar image for clarkportmanken
clarkportmanken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 clarkportmanken
Member since 2003 • 1714 Posts

im not saying it will be a good game or not but the so called game critic will be the death of gaming they really need to get things in perspective and actually read up on gaming history. its a shame that reviewers praise games that do nothing new nothing innovative and then turn around and bash a game that tries to do something different. 

whats baffling is that they bash a new different game for faults that are in alot of game they praise. and sequals seem to almost always garnish high scores. fallout3 gears 2 not bad games but they absolutely add nothing new to gaming nor their genres. and its not just gamespot its all of them.

reviewers do have an impact on the industry, which is why i wish they'd actually start having some standards because right now its more of the "thats really cool" mentality. the only thing there good for is a laugh.

Avatar image for AnotherMulligan
AnotherMulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AnotherMulligan
Member since 2008 • 237 Posts

im not saying it will be a good game or not but the so called game critic will be the death of gaming they really need to get things in perspective and actually read up on gaming history. its a shame that reviewers praise games that do nothing new nothing innovative and then turn around and bash a game that tries to do something different. 

whats baffling is that they bash a new different game for faults that are in alot of game they praise. and sequals seem to almost always garnish high scores. fallout3 gears 2 not bad games but they absolutely add nothing new to gaming nor their genres. and its not just gamespot its all of them.

reviewers do have an impact on the industry, which is why i wish they'd actually start having some standards because right now its more of the "thats really cool" mentality. the only thing there good for is a laugh.

clarkportmanken

preach on brother. its truly sad that very few people will play this game because it got poor reviews. it certainly isn't the greatest game i've ever played, but it's better than a 7. how do reviewers expect new and innovative games to come out if they constantly contribute to the low numbers they sell. they cry for originality, but the games that get the higher scores are gears and resistance, while games like mirrors edge get put in the bottom of the bag. for developers the decision to push out either 1) a brand new ip that really pushes the limits of what have been done that may or may not be well recieved, or 2) shooter forumla X again and again knowing that it will sell moderately well, is a no brainer. they go where the money is.

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#10 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
The review means nothing to me. I never read game reviews. I'll still buy it day-one and decide for myself how good or bad it is. Same as I do with all games I want. This reviewers opinion won't stop me from buying and enjoying Mirrors Edge. I'm dying to play something original. The rest of you weak-minded "I'll wait for a price drop" people are welcome to your same old remakes of games already played hundreds of times like CoD: WAW.
PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts

clarkportmanken

I agree with you 100%. How Fallout 3 got a 9 with it's massive amount of bugs and glitches is beyond me.

th3dz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 th3dz
Member since 2005 • 135 Posts
I just cancelled my preorder of it after seeing gamespots 7 and GT's 8.5 I'll rather wait until the price is lowered.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mitu123

clarkportmanken
Exactly(like Halo 3, which is no different from 2 and it gets high scores).
MissedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MissedTheBoat
Member since 2007 • 179 Posts
I played the demo on PS3 and I really enjoyed it. If I'm going to own a game though, it needs some serious replay value. A 5-6 hour campaign is not nearly long enough to drop $60 on. This is a rental for me.
x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 x-2tha-z
I just cancelled my preorder of it after seeing gamespots 7 and GT's 8.5 I'll rather wait until the price is lowered.th3dz
Don't you have an opinion of your own? Gamespots review is the opinion of one person. Just because he gives it a seven that doesn't make it fact. You could play it and think it's the best game ever made. Don't let these people make these decisions for you. They don't deserve that power.
zeorshadow19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 zeorshadow19
Member since 2007 • 1471 Posts
I'm buying this game not based on reviews, but based on the fact that I think it's fun. Never mind what some review says.
capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts

Yeah it went as expected. As they said it's just way too much trial and error. It's a nice idea but I'll pass.

I think it would have been better as a movie (all from a first person perspective) because its far more fun to watch then to do yourself.

PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PlasmaBeam44

I'm buying this game not based on reviews, but based on the fact that I think it's fun. Never mind what some review says.zeorshadow19

You go ahead and go do that. While your at it why don't you pick up Superman Returns because, ya know, that demo was fun.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Reviewers have close to zero impact on the industry. It's an old wives tale that they actually matter to any sort of significant degree.

The game failed to work correctly, sure it introduced new things but it did them poorly

capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#20 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts
[QUOTE="clarkportmanken"]

PlasmaBeam44

I agree with you 100%. How Fallout 3 got a 9 with it's massive amount of bugs and glitches is beyond me.

Because despite the occasional glitches it's still a fun game that doesn't have constant trial and error.

As for reviews, that's subjective. I don't see how you can standardize something that is essentially just one persons opinion. By nature whatever it is there will be people who love it, hate it, and everthing in between. Just because you really liked something doesn't mean I will too.

Regardless of a games score it's up to you to do the research (read reviews, watch trailers, play a demo, etc.) and make the decision for yourself.

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 x-2tha-z

Reviewers have close to zero impact on the industry. It's an old wives tale that they actually matter to any sort of significant degree.

The game failed to work correctly, sure it introduced new things but it did them poorly

Jaysonguy
Have you played the full game or is all your information secondhand?
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jaysonguy
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

x-2tha-z

I played the broken demo

All the reviews do is show it's not just the demo, the whole game is flawed

Avatar image for clarkportmanken
clarkportmanken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 clarkportmanken
Member since 2003 • 1714 Posts
[QUOTE="x-2tha-z"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

I played the broken demo

all reviews do is try to gain more readers to advertise to with the same games that they are supposed to impartial review, its hilarious how anyone can take them serious with all the money changing hands and the symbiotic relationship they have. and yes reviews have a huge impact on the game industry just listen to the presidents of the big game companies like EA and Activision any of them and they'll always refer to metacritic scores as a basis for the games they develop.

they make games in anticipation of a certain score, i wouldn't have believed it if i didn't hear it first hand from their own mouths. reviews do effect the game industry and its a fact a sad one at that too. 

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 x-2tha-z
[QUOTE="x-2tha-z"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

I played the broken demo

Broken demo? How was it broken? What do you mean? As for the full game being flawed, yes, it probably is. No game is perfect. What game doesn't have flaws? It never stopped us buying games in the past.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mitu123
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"][QUOTE="x-2tha-z"]Have you played the full game or is all your information secondhand?clarkportmanken

I played the broken demo

all reviews do is try to gain more readers to advertise to with the same games that they are supposed to impartial review, its hilarious how anyone can take them serious with all the money changing hands and the symbiotic relationship they have. and yes reviews have a huge impact on the game industry just listen to the presidents of the big game companies like EA and Activision any of them and they'll always refer to metacritic scores as a basis for the games they develop.

they make games in anticipation of a certain score, i wouldn't have believed it if i didn't hear it first hand from their own mouths. reviews do effect the game industry and its a fact a sad one at that too.

Yes, ever notice how gamers these days won't get games that are below a 9(not all of them, but a lot of them though)?
PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PlasmaBeam44
[QUOTE="clarkportmanken"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

I played the broken demo

mitu123

Yes, ever notice how gamers these days won't get games that are below a 9(not all of them, but a lot of them though)?

Whoever thinks like that is insane and doesn't deserve to play games.

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
The GS review out the possible 'flaws' in the game that might urk you. Tells you where the meat is without comparing it to 'cookie cutter' gaming. And then points out that unless this sort of thing is you type of game you probably should go back to all your sequels until next year when you get bored and can pick it up cheap. 7.0 is pretty much spot on in an industry focussed on repeating the same game play over countless sequels and big name franchises. I for one though, found the review to be extremely informative if you have the ability to look past '7.0'. I thought the demo was poor, but preordeded anyway so I could see the extended Demo which was much more fun. The review fits with all the expectations I figured the game would be and as such couldn't be happier with the review, 7.0 be darned. Now if only the story wasn't all in cell-shaded puke I wouldn't have any complaints at all...
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mitu123
[QUOTE="mitu123"][QUOTE="clarkportmanken"]

PlasmaBeam44

Whoever thinks like that is insane and doesn't deserve to play games.

Agreed, but they outnumber us, it's a shame really.
raylewisnfl52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 raylewisnfl52
Member since 2005 • 7146 Posts
I thought the demo was dumb and I expected it to be low
Avatar image for deactivated-64b76bd048860
deactivated-64b76bd048860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 deactivated-64b76bd048860
Member since 2007 • 4363 Posts
Probably going to be a rent for me.
ceells87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ceells87
Member since 2007 • 386 Posts
The only way it has trial and error is if you dont know what your doing. I've been playing it since i got out of class at noon and have had a blast. I've died like twice and had to use no guns. Its amazing and the pace never slows down if you know what your doing and think where you should go. And the time trials are awesome too
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jaysonguy
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"][QUOTE="x-2tha-z"]Have you played the full game or is all your information secondhand?clarkportmanken

I played the broken demo

You're wrong if you think they matter.

To a small section of people they do, to nearly all the people in the real world they are smaller then nothing

Stop pretending it's important.

Sales matter, not scores

_Kikode_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 _Kikode_
Member since 2008 • 434 Posts
GT game it a 8.3 which sounds a little more fair.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#34 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts
I'm not sure whether I will get this game yet, now that the review brought up some very good points regarding the story. Firstly, we don't know exact;y what messages the runners are trying to relay, and secondly I don't know that I really like all of the talk about 'change' in the game - it sounds to me like this game could be some analogy to EA's (well, moreover the game's creator's and writers') view on government and society more than anything. I recall reading something someone said about the game's visuals once, that it was too 'clean' for him/her. Well...I really like the visuals, in fact I think it would be amazing if everything could be that clean and efficient and beautiful in real life, so maybe I disagree with the world that Faith and her friends want to create in the game. (There is corruption in it apparently though, since the one dude wants to throw Faith...? lol) I mean I don't like the idea of being controlled by my govenment, I believe in the individual spirit, but perhaps that is what it will have to come to one day, a strict and restrictive society. We have to be more responsible if we want a system that's better than that.
SirCokerThe9th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SirCokerThe9th
Member since 2008 • 682 Posts
Why do people give a **** about reviews still? This game has gotten a 10/10 7/10 9.5/10 8/10.....just stop with reviews already and get a game if you want it.
equimanthorn01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 equimanthorn01
Member since 2008 • 1769 Posts
That's a little lower than I expected. I still want to get the game though
Kungfu-Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 Kungfu-Panda
Member since 2008 • 77 Posts
I Have got to say the Mirror's egde is more worth than a weak 7 from gamespot, it really isn't to hard so I don't understand the comments that say Mirror's Edge is more frustrating then satisfying. And Mirror's Edge is like nothing I have ever played before. So only therefor Gamespot need to give Mirror's edge something like an 8 or 8.5
Termy_Aztec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40 Termy_Aztec
Member since 2008 • 28 Posts
Should have this next week. Am really looking forward to it.