Microsoft stopping Epic releasing Gears maps for free.. LINK

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Recon13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Recon13
Member since 2007 • 682 Posts
http://www.n4g.com/xbox360/News-34348.aspx
Corvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Corvin
Member since 2002 • 7266 Posts
I know companies want to make some extra money somehow on micro transactions but I am very highly against charging for multiplayer map packs. This causes a serious rift in the user base and though Gears has sold well I don't think its big enough to handle that. Suddenly you have people who can't play because they don't have the maps, and others who can't find matches because not enough people bought the maps. Now, if they added new single player campaign content? That I could see charging for.
Thorpe89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#3 Thorpe89
Member since 2004 • 16905 Posts
I think it is silly. They're only doing it because they know people will pay anyway.
stygiansanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 stygiansanity
Member since 2005 • 3183 Posts
that's truly an a$$ of a think of MS to do, can't say I'm shocked, though.
tom518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tom518
Member since 2006 • 120 Posts
id pay anyway
-Zaku-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 -Zaku-
Member since 2005 • 15425 Posts
[QUOTE="Corvin"]I know companies want to make some extra money somehow on micro transactions but I am very highly against charging for multiplayer map packs. This causes a serious rift in the user base and though Gears has sold well I don't think its big enough to handle that. Suddenly you have people who can't play because they don't have the maps, and others who can't find matches because not enough people bought the maps. Now, if they added new single player campaign content? That I could see charging for.

Exactly what happened with the GRAW Ch.2 content. You ended most of the time either not using the stuff you just bought (due to limited people buying the content) or you were restricted to playing with people you didn't even know. The match making should have compensated for showing you people who had the content and not too.
Flaming_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Flaming_Ape
Member since 2007 • 3246 Posts

[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#11 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts

[QUOTE="Corvin"]I know companies want to make some extra money somehow on micro transactions but I am very highly against charging for multiplayer map packs. This causes a serious rift in the user base and though Gears has sold well I don't think its big enough to handle that. Suddenly you have people who can't play because they don't have the maps, and others who can't find matches because not enough people bought the maps.

Now, if they added new single player campaign content? That I could see charging for.-Zaku-

Exactly what happened with the GRAW Ch.2 content. You ended most of the time either not using the stuff you just bought (due to limited people buying the content) or you were restricted to playing with people you didn't even know. The match making should have compensated for showing you people who had the content and not too.

I tried to play GRAW the other day and couldn't get into a game because I don't have the chapter 2 pack.

-Zaku-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 -Zaku-

[QUOTE="-Zaku-"][QUOTE="Corvin"]I know companies want to make some extra money somehow on micro transactions but I am very highly against charging for multiplayer map packs. This causes a serious rift in the user base and though Gears has sold well I don't think its big enough to handle that. Suddenly you have people who can't play because they don't have the maps, and others who can't find matches because not enough people bought the maps.

Now, if they added new single player campaign content? That I could see charging for.x-2tha-z

I tried to play GRAW the other day and couldn't get into a game because I don't have the chapter 2 pack.

April OXM has the Ch 2 content for Free. Either way, pay ~$5 or $15. I feel cheated though as I bought the content at 1200msps, then they lowered it like a month or 2 later down to 600msps, and now you see you can get the stuff pretty much free now :|
mesony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mesony
Member since 2006 • 144 Posts
xbox is SOO cheap that they have to make every $ off us when we buy a 100 some dollar console
willpark73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 willpark73
Member since 2005 • 108 Posts
they shouldnt charge for that stuff anyway. i bought chapter 2 pack and never played it. a waste of money. i heard that microsoft was regulating what could and could not be free. if the devolpers want it to be free, then let it be free. we are already paying for xbox live anyway.
Pwnosaurus_Rex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Pwnosaurus_Rex
Member since 2007 • 291 Posts
well, I hope they don't charge for it, if they do, then I won't bother getting them, maybe a lot of ppl will get them..or maybe not, and I don't want to spend money on a few maps, so I'll pass
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#16 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts
That all seriously sucks.  If it was supposed to be for free then it should be for free.  I'm totally against it and won't buy the maps if they do recieve a price.
brianmatthutch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 brianmatthutch
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
I dont believe that. Epic wont charge anything and Microsoft on an earlier interview in Game Informer said they thought it was cool that Epic wasnt charging and they dont care what anybody charges or dont charge.
gander448

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gander448
Member since 2005 • 810 Posts
id pay anywaytom518
and their is the problem, i refuse to pay for stupid crap like that and as long as people keep paying, ms will keep charging
rb378wby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rb378wby
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

MONEY GRAB!  $ony & Micro$oft both.

-Zaku-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 -Zaku-
[QUOTE="tom518"]id pay anywaygander448
and their is the problem, i refuse to pay for stupid crap like that and as long as people keep paying, ms will keep charging

Yep. Can't make a statement against it when people are buying it regardless.
death1505921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 death1505921
Member since 2004 • 5260 Posts
My thoughts pretty much match what i just said outloud "Mother ******!"
N0han

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 N0han
Member since 2007 • 982 Posts
I hate paying extra for game addons, I mean why not put them in the game at first place, its not like they havnt got time all games nowadays release later then said. Its nice of EPIC to release some multimaps for free and thats the way I think it should be, A game is 60 bucks, not 60bucks+3+4+8 etc, and plenty people act like this: OMG you &$&$^ you &#&# Paying for it is so stupid, but at the same time they pay for it so ppl should stop paying for those downloads and we should all make CLEAR that when we pay 60$ for a game we aint gonna pay more fees for 'little downloads'
OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts
meh....it's business
gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11979 Posts
http://www.n4g.com/xbox360/News-34348.aspxRecon13
interesting...
g8summit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#25 g8summit
Member since 2004 • 670 Posts
Microsoft can only contral games they helped to make. They can't contral games from which they werent apart of. At least not in that aspect. They can only complain.
VenDaler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 VenDaler
Member since 2005 • 138 Posts

I don't know about microtransactions any more.  I don't know if I would spend $60 on a game if they already have microtransactions that cost in the works.  Like someone else mentioned, it splits up who can play and it might take some big or important content for me to pay for it.  I think the idea of adding content might be cool, but if it costs money, I'm not sure it's worth messing with to me.

I haven't paid for any content downloads and I play games that use them.. Oblivion, GRAW, Halo, Socom

death1505921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 death1505921
Member since 2004 • 5260 Posts
I would try to organise a boycotte or somthing, to show microsoft to stop charging if devs want it free. But 1. no body would follow it since nobody around these forums actualy has any balls and 2. I like epic, so i dont want them to lose money because of some stupid company.
Sam_Pettican

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Sam_Pettican
Member since 2006 • 1693 Posts
Burn in hell microsoft!
XlpranksterlX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 XlpranksterlX
Member since 2005 • 7438 Posts
Yeah this type of stuff has been out there for the last few weeks, pretty bad on ms's part. Especially since we pay for XBL.
Mikerules868

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Mikerules868
Member since 2004 • 2153 Posts

I don't know about microtransactions any more.  I don't know if I would spend $60 on a game if they already have microtransactions that cost in the works.  Like someone else mentioned, it splits up who can play and it might take some big or important content for me to pay for it.  I think the idea of adding content might be cool, but if it costs money, I'm not sure it's worth messing with to me.

I haven't paid for any content downloads and I play games that use them.. Oblivion, GRAW, Halo, Socom

VenDaler
The Halo maps are free...
V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
I will likely not pay for them, no way, I am sick of paying for a few dumb maps.
Pwnosaurus_Rex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Pwnosaurus_Rex
Member since 2007 • 291 Posts
[QUOTE="VenDaler"]

I don't know about microtransactions any more. I don't know if I would spend $60 on a game if they already have microtransactions that cost in the works. Like someone else mentioned, it splits up who can play and it might take some big or important content for me to pay for it. I think the idea of adding content might be cool, but if it costs money, I'm not sure it's worth messing with to me.

Mikerules868
The Halo maps are free...

i heard that they would cost.......let's just wait and see.... :|
MiniBeas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MiniBeas
Member since 2006 • 394 Posts
I think that it is a very true fact that it causes less compatibility online if you charge for multiplayer maps. They should be free. they should only charge for large expansions such as Shivering Isles or something like that. It really is rediculous to what extent Microsoft will go to make money. Computer game updates are free. Gets me angry is all. If they follow through with this I will not albidge Microsoft by buying the content. I buy arcade games and buy stuff from the marketplace, but I refuse to buy something like maps.
ELJUDEZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ELJUDEZ
Member since 2004 • 7389 Posts
I will not pay.
destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#35 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts
Retarded. bull****.
Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#36 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts

Microsoft can only contral games they helped to make. They can't contral games from which they werent apart of. At least not in that aspect. They can only complain.g8summit

No actually they can control most aspects. They can force Epic to make people have to pay, and all Epic can do it decide to not put it up for download or to still put it up. If they just didn't put it up then Microsft would probably change their mind because Microsoft makes money of them putting it up too. If it isn't up they can't make money on it (or if it is free).

alsha3er78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 alsha3er78
Member since 2005 • 812 Posts
id pay anywaytom518
and that's exactly why MS would charge. it's just business. if people are willing to pay, then businesses will charge. the new update is to fix some of the problems with the game, and add a new MP mode. i hate to pay for new maps too, but unless we all decide not to pay for the maps, MS will have no reason to give it to us for free.
jak360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38 jak360
Member since 2005 • 97 Posts
I'd think its kinda sad for microsoft to do that anyway:?
DZBricktop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DZBricktop
Member since 2007 • 2914 Posts
I guess the only way to make everyone happy is to NOT release anything extra at all? That way you cant complain.
K1D_LUCR4TIV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 K1D_LUCR4TIV3
Member since 2007 • 162 Posts
xbox is SOO cheap that they have to make every $ off us when we buy a 100 some dollar console mesony
ummm. my xbox360 was 400 dollars. or are you posing a facetious hypothetical? hmmmm... i must ponder this further...
Flaming_Smoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41 Flaming_Smoke
Member since 2006 • 2132 Posts

I dont need to buy it, I dont have Xbox live yet. 50 bucks for a year.... Heh..

Rvdecwthug1976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Rvdecwthug1976
Member since 2005 • 4593 Posts

We just might as well get use to it and accept it, because Downloadable content is here to stay and it is not going anywhere and quit pouting and saying that you will not buy it, because most people will end up buying them

I have found that most content including Map Packs on Xbox live Marketplace have been reasonably priced and well worth the Money, I have not found anything that I have paid for to be overpriced

Downloadable content is just something that is needed for Game Developers, because by adding Content onto a game later on, it allows them to release a game at a time, where the game is going to be more profitable, because if you have a really good game coming up and you release it at the same time as Halo 3 and when some of the other good games come out, then guess what, the Developer is basically screwed, because the Market was already flooded by other games, I have saw this happen with games in the past

It is better to release a game, when there is not much else coming out and make their money and then release Downloadable content later on

It is called giving you the option to get more, not withholding from you on purpose and anything extra in life costs money, like you cannot go out to eat and expect to get something extra for free without paying for it

slimt21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 slimt21
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
If a developer has content that they want give to consumers for free they should be allowed to do so. I really feel that it benefits everyone involved. It helps both the developer and Microsoft, because it will extend the life of the product. People will keep their games instead of trading them in and more new copies of the game will be sold. It will also help create some consumer loyalty towards the developer and the Microsoft. It will help the consumer because they will be getting more content for their games. I'm not saying everything on the marketplace should be free, but the deveoper should be allowed to make that decision. And the thought that Company A might make Company B look bad by releasing some stuff for free is kinda crazy. That's just the nature of the market. That's like saying a company shouldn't release a Triple A title because it will make other titles look bad. If a company wants to charge for something they should make it appealing enough for people to want to buy it. Everyone shouldn't be penalised because one company wants to use the marketplace to nickel and dime people and another company wants to use it to build consumer loyalty and increase the value of their product. Hopefully Microsoft will listen to what the consumer and developers have to say on this and realise its in everyones best interest to allow developers to release some of their content for free.
sadikovic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 sadikovic
Member since 2004 • 3868 Posts

This fu***** Su*** the same thing happen to BF2 when they released the europe maps for £20 and then when i go online and theres half the people missing cos i havent got those maps if this happens to GOW ill fooking brake that disk and flame the forums. :evil:

sadikovic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 sadikovic
Member since 2004 • 3868 Posts

This fu***** Su*** the same thing happen to BF2 when they released the europe maps for £20 and then when i go online and theres half the people missing cos i havent got those maps if this happens to GOW ill fooking brake that disk and flame the forums. :evil:

julianwelton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 julianwelton
Member since 2006 • 2526 Posts
I just made a topic about this because i didnt know there was another but id like to say a few words welll just one word actually and that word is PETITION!!!!
--Wolf--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#47 --Wolf--
Member since 2004 • 6786 Posts
Why do MS care? Free Downloads = more people d/ing off XBL and then more people playing on XBL which could equal more potential XBL sales. Paid downloads = Less people d/ling off XBL and then less people playing on XBL which could equal less re subscriptions to XBL