Microsoft Refusing to Take $10 Million Worth of Defective 360s from EB Oz

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lord_Pro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Lord_Pro
Member since 2006 • 324 Posts

Over the weekend, a Kotaku AU reader sent through a chat log containing an enlightening conversation with "an associate of mine who holds a high position within the EB organisation". According to the log, Microsoft is refusing to take responsibility for its defective consoles, leaving it up to the games retailer to make the best of a crappy situation.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/games/2008/01/microsoft_refusing_to_take_back_10_million_worth_of_defective_360s_from_eb_oz.html

DZBricktop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DZBricktop
Member since 2007 • 2914 Posts
Thatd be interesting. But i dont know how much i trust a guy that cant spell organization. Not to mention kotaku has been alittle unreliable in the past.
PiNwOrM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 PiNwOrM
Member since 2005 • 2030 Posts

Microsoft is in the write, EB buys the consoles 'as is' and there is no reason they can't sell them (at least that I know of, I assume the issue here is the RROD).

EB is not responsible for the RROD, and as such, they neither have to refund the problem, nor can they send the xbox's back.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Consider them, screwed?
Avatar image for -Silent--Death-
-Silent--Death-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 -Silent--Death-
Member since 2007 • 1365 Posts

Why would EB (I'm assuming bought, or traded in) take faulty consoles? Or did people return them to EB under warranty? If that's the case - why would people buy anything from EB in the first place.

JasonWI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JasonWI
Member since 2003 • 685 Posts
Good, now they know what its like to get screwed over just like they do to their customers.
Scarface_tm431

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Scarface_tm431
Member since 2004 • 10063 Posts
Why wold EB care if the consoles are defective, they steal from customers daily AND unless the customers pay for one of their warranty's, they aren't liable for anything
escrima24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 escrima24
Member since 2006 • 55 Posts

thats pretty crazy

not to sure if its legit but crazy non the less

aandrew610

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 aandrew610
Member since 2007 • 749 Posts
i know that the local gamestops over here buy broken 360's , serves them right for scamming everyone else. I hate doing buisness with that company
Master__Shake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Master__Shake
Member since 2002 • 6214 Posts

Over the weekend, a Kotaku AU reader sent through a chat log containing an enlightening conversation with "an associate of mine who holds a high position within the EB organisation". According to the log, Microsoft is refusing to take responsibility for its defective consoles, leaving it up to the games retailer to make the best of a crappy situation.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/games/2008/01/microsoft_refusing_to_take_back_10_million_worth_of_defective_360s_from_eb_oz.html

Lord_Pro

Good EBgames deserves it, with thier shady practices.

fordies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 fordies
Member since 2005 • 5829 Posts

Thatd be interesting. But i dont know how much i trust a guy that cant spell organization. Not to mention kotaku has been alittle unreliable in the past.DZBricktop

He didn't spell it incorrectly it can be spelt either way the commonwealth countries mostly use the British spelling using the S while the Americans use the Z.

cpaschal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 cpaschal
Member since 2005 • 474 Posts

[QUOTE="DZBricktop"]Thatd be interesting. But i dont know how much i trust a guy that cant spell organization. Not to mention kotaku has been alittle unreliable in the past.fordies

He didn't spell it incorrectly it can be spelt either way the commonwealth countries mostly use the British spelling using the S while the Americans use the Z.

QFT...you beat me to it.

vhayste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 vhayste
Member since 2006 • 315 Posts
If its true, then that's really crazy. How can the retailers make the best out of the situation? Refurb the units, repack them then resell them?
djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 djrobst
Member since 2007 • 2404 Posts
they in the situtation because they bought loads of the consoles on a AS IS basis. the reason they do that is so they can sell them with thier warranties and charge people more for them and buy the consoles for less than most retailers will pay as they buying them without warranties. obvoiusily they never thought they would have the problems they have had. but thats the risk you get when buying stuff on a AS IS basis. they just clutchin at straws because they tried to be greedy and make money off all the customers by suppling them with they own extended warranties for longer than the normal term. thing is if the console was reliable as the last xbox then they would be seriosily making loads. and they wouldnt of given any extra cash to microsoft. so they might of taken a hit due to the RROD. but they made they own buying terms, they arnt going to get microsoft to provide any warranties on them when they struck a deal to buy them for less without warranties, they going to have to try to take them to court and they probally loose if they do due to they own buying terms. they probally do this with all consoles they sell if they can. sometimes in business you just have to take a hit
DZBricktop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DZBricktop
Member since 2007 • 2914 Posts

[QUOTE="DZBricktop"]Thatd be interesting. But i dont know how much i trust a guy that cant spell organization. Not to mention kotaku has been alittle unreliable in the past.fordies

I did not know this. Thanks you the correction.

b11051973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 b11051973
Member since 2002 • 7621 Posts

This is why I would never buy a used Xbox 360 from anywhere. They are unreliable and who knows what you're getting. Just spend the extra $50 or whatever and buy a new one.

I know some companies have quit offering 360 extended warranties. I would think if Gamestop was smart, they'd stop buying used 360s.