ME2 Scanning planets question

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SuperIntendent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SuperIntendent
Member since 2002 • 644 Posts

When scanning a planet for elements is it broken up into its square quadrants? or is it really specific on where you launch the probe to get maximum value?

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

you are supposed to put the probes where you get the highest readings you can tell by looking at the graph and by your controller vibrating. thats all there is to it. Oh and to directly answer your question so far from what i can tell is its specific to where you put it. I know theres a grid overlays the planet but it doesn't really affect anything.

Elian2530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 Elian2530
Member since 2009 • 3658 Posts
Yup. You have to be extra thorough. Sometimes, I would miss highly concentrated areas.
Commando015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Commando015
Member since 2009 • 325 Posts

It's super annoyingly tedious. I wish they'd have made it more quicker, maybe added more concentrated areas or made an upgraded system where it shows you exactly the position of the minerals for a few credits + Platinum or something.

But, instead I have scanned about 20+ planets so far and have only about 60k of each to show for it. So, I think I'm doing something wrong... but, eh. It's not that great.

Bane_v2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Bane_v2
Member since 2003 • 6104 Posts
Keep an eye on the text above the graph. The wording will change as you extract resources from the planet. I noticed it going from Rich > Good > Depleted. Once it hits depleted you know there's no point in further scanning.
netsider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 netsider
Member since 2009 • 45 Posts
The best thing I can recommend is to learn to love it. That's easier said than done however. I personally recommend saving planet scanning for when you don't feel up to playing the storyline (Which is hard to do in itself because it's such a good game). Maybe fix yourself a drink to relax and do it. At least that way if you hate it, you won't remember it.. plus that might make it a little more interesting. What they should have done is made it so you can land on the planet with a rover (like in ME1) and search for the materials instead of the planet scanning tecnique implemented in ME2. But hey, nothing can be perfect, even though ME2 is close to it.
CodingGenius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#7 CodingGenius
Member since 2004 • 8118 Posts
Please use the stickied ME thread at the top of the board for ME discussions. Thanks!