Mass Effect vs. The Orange Box? Yours Thoughts?!?!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

morpheusnj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 morpheusnj
Member since 2004 • 1943 Posts

So I'm torn between getting Mass Effect or The Orange Box. I have never played Half Life 2 or any of the episodes, believe it or not. The reviews seem more inclined to Orange Box but Mass Effect also looks really nice and I enjoy RPGs just as much as I enjoy shooters.

I dont know what do get so I figured, why not ask the helpful members on Gamespot :P so what do you think?

and I enjoy your thoughts but would appreciate it if you guys could also put your game choice down so its easy to tell as well..

MrQuaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MrQuaker
Member since 2005 • 457 Posts
If you never played HL2 get ready for an awesome shooter but it's still just a regular shooter (but with awesome physics) and the graphics are not on par with games like bioshock or gear of war since it's an old game. But you get Episode 1 and 2 which makes HL2 like a 20-25 hours game plus portal (never played it but looks cool) and a multiplayer game. But Mass Effect is really unique, beautiful (some of the best graphics around) and involving as a single player game. I'd say Mass Effect, since I bought the LE and not regret it at all. I play from time to time and haven't finished 60% of the game yet (25 hours in) so if you do and read everything you'll get a 40 hour out of it. So shooter or RPG? Multiplayer or not? Awesome graphics or more content? Your choice, but ME for me
Saulaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Saulaur
Member since 2006 • 133 Posts
Orange Box has a much longer play value (around 50-100+ depending on if you play TF 2 or not) Mass Effect, though still an amazing game with lots of great story, is short and the exploration is very repetitive. Both games however have great game-play mechanics.Niether Orange Box nor Mass Effect have the 'run and gun' game-play.Half-life2 is all about the physics while ME is all about the micro-managing style of game-play. TF 2 is all about team-work. If youlike shooters like CoD 4 or Halo, you will not like either of these games, however, if you enjoy shooters with strategy, you will love these games. The better of the two, in my opinion, is Orange Box because of its playability. ME will only last you 30 hours, more if you go for all the achievements. I would rent ME because it is only good for three play-throughs, then it gets boring. OrangeBox (TF 2)can be played many times and each class is different. Portal is also one of the best puzzles you'll ever play. However, it is very SHORT.
GAMERILEY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GAMERILEY
Member since 2007 • 249 Posts

Half Life 2 = Best single player shooter ever made.

Portal = Great new puzzle game.

Team Fortress 2 = Great online game.

Plus the 2 episodes.

I'd say the Orange Box by a long shot.

msdd9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#5 msdd9
Member since 2007 • 2957 Posts
Haven't played OB and also have never play a Half Life game, but Mass Effect is an incredible game that should not be missed.
GOW-Freak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GOW-Freak
Member since 2007 • 113 Posts
nvr played ME but i bought the OB and im goin through again. HL2 is a rlly fun addictive and intense shooter with intresting mechanic. The Gravity Gun is rlly fun to play with and certain lvls feel straight out of an action movie. episode one aint so hot but it dosent suck. HL2 EPISODE 2 IS THE BEST SHOOTER IVE EVER PLAYED. It is so intense and explosive and action packed and cool. The hunters are the best video game enemies and the final battle is amazing. Portal is also pretty dam fun
airg6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 airg6
Member since 2006 • 4390 Posts
If you never played HL2 get ready for an awesome shooter but it's still just a regular shooter (but with awesome physics) and the graphics are not on par with games like bioshock or gear of war since it's an old game. But you get Episode 1 and 2 which makes HL2 like a 20-25 hours game plus portal (never played it but looks cool) and a multiplayer game. But Mass Effect is really unique, beautiful (some of the best graphics around) and involving as a single player game. I'd say Mass Effect, since I bought the LE and not regret it at all. I play from time to time and haven't finished 60% of the game yet (25 hours in) so if you do and read everything you'll get a 40 hour out of it. So shooter or RPG? Multiplayer or not? Awesome graphics or more content? Your choice, but ME for meMrQuaker
The orange box is miles better than mass effect. Mass effect dissapointed me greatly. I think they should have made another kotor. Portal is awsome and hilarious.There is no cake. Remember that. Team fortress 2 is better than call of duty4 in my oppinion and all the half life games are great. Get the orange box.
daien90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 daien90
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I just recently got ME a couple days ago, and since it was the weekend i had time so sit down with it and beat it once, and i'd say its really a spectacular RPG, and a fun shooter. With all the coices you get through out it, i can tell i can tell that it would be hard to exactly duplicate the same expieriece twice. (simple generic RPG stuff like quarian or krogan alies, then more moral choices like save or abandon certain people have a huge impact on the story.)

Then theres Orange Box, which i think is just as good but for different reasons. its a mostly single player shooter and its very linear, the only real choices are what weapon to choose, and thats only a tactical stand point. Portal is fun and you'll likely want to play it more than once just because its the most unique puzzle game around. and then theres TF2, but i cant say much about it yet because i havnt relly played it much.

So both games have a great story, its more about personal prefference, replay value or lasting value. Mass effect took me 20 Hrs to beat the first tim ( but i wasnt too far into alot of the side quests, i was mainly doing the central missions.) but i'm still playing through HL2, and havnt even started Ep. 1 or 2. both stories will take you for a loop, though i've found that Half life has more shocking twists because of how linear it is. in ME, you can usually see the outcomes of your actions before you make them.

MetalCore84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MetalCore84
Member since 2007 • 329 Posts

This really is a tough choice. Its a little too hard not to give a clear choice.

If your more of a casual gamer and have xbox live you will proably enjoy the Orange Box more since you can easily switch between the Half Life Games, Portal, or the online Team Fortress.

If your a hardcore gamer in the sense of you like playing anything you get your hands on then the box may be a better choice since once again you have a group of good games to dominate.

If your a hardcore gamer in the sense of your picky and need only top quality games to play mass effect is defintaly your way to go. (Half life will seem somewhat dated but still a great game series)

Since you love RPG's and Shooters you might wan't to lean on Mass Effect. You will get more playing time out of Mass Effect too.

Personally I would choose Mass Effect, I didn't care much for the Orange Box (I also don't have Xbox live so that helped my decison)

WiiNut6493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 WiiNut6493
Member since 2007 • 538 Posts
Mass effect! Orange Box Sucks monkey nuts! i own OB and it was a huge mistake! rent it! TF2 has uber lag syndrome. Portal is easy, Half life is well.... lets just say the guy who made it must have been smoking pot at the time and was high.
airg6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 airg6
Mass effect! Orange Box Sucks monkey nuts! i own OB and it was a huge mistake! rent it! TF2 has uber lag syndrome. Portal is easy, Half life is well.... lets just say the guy who made it must have been smoking pot at the time and was high.WiiNut6493
Wow what a tastless comment. I bet you dont even know who makes the halflife games. The orange box is a lot better than mass effect. Also team fortress hasent lagged for me. Its probably your crappy connection.
airg6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 airg6
Also I just posted my 666th comment.
Dawq902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 Dawq902
Member since 2007 • 6796 Posts
Mass Effect is so much better imo i did not like the orange box, did not interest me the least bit.
morpheusnj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 morpheusnj
Member since 2004 • 1943 Posts

thats 5 for OB and 5 for ME....great

How likely will I be playing ME through twice?

the1stfandb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 the1stfandb
Member since 2007 • 2397 Posts

Orange Box has a much longer play value (around 50-100+ depending on if you play TF 2 or not) Mass Effect, though still an amazing game with lots of great story, is short and the exploration is very repetitive. Both games however have great game-play mechanics.Niether Orange Box nor Mass Effect have the 'run and gun' game-play.Half-life2 is all about the physics while ME is all about the micro-managing style of game-play. TF 2 is all about team-work. If youlike shooters like CoD 4 or Halo, you will not like either of these games, however, if you enjoy shooters with strategy, you will love these games. The better of the two, in my opinion, is Orange Box because of its playability. ME will only last you 30 hours, more if you go for all the achievements. I would rent ME because it is only good for three play-throughs, then it gets boring. OrangeBox (TF 2)can be played many times and each class is different. Portal is also one of the best puzzles you'll ever play. However, it is very SHORT. Saulaur

I own and loved all 4 of those games not to be a jackass but please dont scare people from game by saying you wont like it if you... they may end up on missing out on the greatest games