Mass Effect not even nominated for best X360 game...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Disturbed_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Disturbed_King
Member since 2007 • 554 Posts

I know that Mass Effect only got an 8.5 from GS, but they piss me off even more when it isn't even nominated for best Xbox 360 game. And it obviously isn't nominated for GOTY. Thanks to Kevin VanOrd, it's not getting the credit it deserves. I mean, exactly, who cares if the frame-rate gets somewhat ugly in a few parts of the game? Mass Effect shouldn't be bashed that much simply for that reason, and it's one of the most replayable and best games I've ever played.

How many of you here agree that GS likes to simplypiss us off now-of-days by events such as Cnet firing Jeff and now them not nominated Mass Effect for GOTY, and not even for best X360 game because Kevin gave it an 8.5? This could be the end of me trusting this site's reviews and yearly award events.

smc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 smc420
Member since 2004 • 159 Posts

I don't need ME to win an award to know it's THE best game I have played on 360 so far. Now that is purely my own opinion, but it is the one game that will notbe traded in anytime soon.

GAMERILEY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GAMERILEY
Member since 2007 • 249 Posts
What do you think Mass Effect is better than? Rock Band? Call of Duty 4? Halo 3? The Orange Box? Forza Motorsport? I don't think it should replace any, but then again I don't like RPG's.
jet2892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#4 jet2892
Member since 2004 • 2832 Posts
Personally I haven't played the game but it looks sick and it kinda confuses me how the game didn't make it up there when it clearly looks better than some of the other competitors
halokillerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 halokillerz
Member since 2004 • 3406 Posts
i agree, but theres just a little bit too much of technical problems to make it for goty. still a great game though.
Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Always-Honest
Member since 2007 • 11261 Posts

i'm playing it now. it's greta, but there some really seriously irritating issues:

- LOADING TIMES..: there are too many

- dialogues: too many times there are different choicers, but the same answers.

- Texture pop-in.... : do i have to explain?... sometimes ten seconds...

- Graphics can be breathtaking to downright ugly.

- framerate issues.

- no tutorial. you find out what everything means after a long while...

- planets are not accessable... just a few.

so yeah, it's great, but nominating it as GOTY would be sending out a wrong signal to developers imo.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#8 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Thats horrible...... Its easily the best singleplayer game of the year.. not only on the 360 but on any system.

Gamespot lost for this

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kozzy1234

so yeah, it's great, but nominating it as GOTY would be sending out a wrong signal to developers imo.

Always-Honest

How so? If anything its sending the right signal to developers... telling them to BE ORIGINAL and to bring new things to the table with videogames.

So many games are just re-hashes of other games, while mass effect is something new, amazing and revolutionary.

Sure it has a FEW problems, but in no way should that take away from all the things it does AMAZING.

quader_ac400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 quader_ac400
Member since 2007 • 801 Posts
What do you think Mass Effect is better than? Rock Band? Call of Duty 4? Halo 3? The Orange Box? Forza Motorsport? I don't think it should replace any, but then again I don't like RPG's.GAMERILEY
It could easily replace forza..Forza is no were near as good as Mass Effect
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kozzy1234

What do you think Mass Effect is better than? Rock Band? Call of Duty 4? Halo 3? The Orange Box? Forza Motorsport? I don't think it should replace any, but then again I don't like RPG's.GAMERILEY

Just because you dont like a certain type of game doesnt mean its not simply amazing.

Mass Effect is 100000 times better then rock band and Halo3. The other games are arguable. But Rockband is a copy of guitar hero and isnt very innovative.

MAss Effect >

grunt1096

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 grunt1096
Member since 2007 • 120769 Posts
Mass Effect = my GOTY
quader_ac400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 quader_ac400
Member since 2007 • 801 Posts
Mass Effect = my GOTYgrunt1096
Agreed
GAMERILEY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GAMERILEY
Member since 2007 • 249 Posts

[QUOTE="GAMERILEY"]What do you think Mass Effect is better than? Rock Band? Call of Duty 4? Halo 3? The Orange Box? Forza Motorsport? I don't think it should replace any, but then again I don't like RPG's.kozzy1234

Just because you dont like a certain type of game doesnt mean its not simply amazing.

Mass Effect is 100000 times better then rock band and Halo3. The other games are arguable. But Rockband is a copy of guitar hero and isnt very innovative.

MAss Effect>

I know, I'm just saying I don't like the genre so I would like the other games better. It probably is an awesome game, I just probably wouldn't enjoy it as much as others.

g5velocity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 g5velocity
Member since 2007 • 1017 Posts
I thought ME was an incredible game but I agree with GS, I would have rated it in the high 8's.
DoomZaW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 DoomZaW
Member since 2007 • 6475 Posts
I don't care if it wins GOTY title, in my opinion it is still one of the most enjoyable games since Black & White 1:)
msdd9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#17 msdd9
Member since 2007 • 2957 Posts

I don't need ME to win an award to know it's THE best game I have played on 360 so far. Now that is purely my own opinion, but it is the one game that will notbe traded in anytime soon.

smc420

I agree with that^^^For sure.

Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Andrew_Xavier
Member since 2007 • 9625 Posts

Better than:

Rock Bland - Check

Generic Shooter 3 - Check

Borza - Check

Call Of Doodie - Check

The Old Box - Check

It's a real shame that 2 games with next to no single player (cod 4, halo 3) are nominated based entirely on hype, a set of old games (Orange Box), an overrated racer which I wouldn't even name the top racer of the year (forza), and a freakin clone game (rock band) are considered better than a true acheivement in gaming (Mass Effect).

Realistically, gamespot needs to hire reviewers that aren't so freakin stuck on boring FPS, and actually will give a sniff of a chance to other genres....

I hate fps, they are all the same, pretty graphics don't change the game play.

Avatar image for master-renagade
master-renagade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 master-renagade
Member since 2006 • 537 Posts
mass effect should be in there above forza and rock band but i think they wanted different genres in the frame instead of FPS but they still should of included it above those 2 or even taken out orange box or halo 3.
mrb45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 mrb45
Member since 2006 • 174 Posts
I played through Mass Effect twice and loved it but it is definitely not game of the year material. With the glaring AI issues,framerate drops, and repetitive environments it just cant hold up to games like Mario Galaxy and Bioshock in my opinion. It should be in the best RPG category at least.
xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts

I played through Mass Effect twice and loved it but it is definitely not game of the year material. With the glaring AI issues,framerate drops, and repetitive environments it just cant hold up to games like Mario Galaxy and Bioshock in my opinion. It should be in the best RPG category at least.mrb45

I agree to a certain extent, but keep in mind Oblivion won. I mean COME ON. You want to talk about repetitiveness.. Not to mention the long list of technical issues. And it won..

APOLLOCJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 APOLLOCJD
Member since 2007 • 2311 Posts

How many of you here agree that GS likes to simplypiss us off now-of-days by events such as Cnet firing Jeff and now them not nominated Mass Effect for GOTY, and not even for best X360 game because Kevin gave it an 8.5? This could be the end of me trusting this site's reviews and yearly award events.

Disturbed_King

That is a pretty lame argument man....Mass Effect is a great game but if you compare it to pretty much any of the titiles up on that lise for GOTY it still wouldn't win (except against Forza). But to say that GS is just trying to pis us off and using management examples is just pointless. GS company management has nothing to do with video ames or anything else that concerns the consumers as this site.

As for the 8.5 review, this is GS Best and the Worst Awards and not yours, so why would they go against their own ratings and pick a game that got rated lower then the rest of the games on that list. Choosing Mass Effect would be hypocritial to GS and unfair to the games that where deemed AAA on this website.

So if you want to see Mass Effect win GOTY so bad go make your own website and have your own award show.

karriston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 karriston
Member since 2005 • 3631 Posts
Hey guys, guess what I just found out... Everyone has different opinions! But I'm not surprisee Mass Effect wasn't nominated. IT's like Bioware knew what would've made the game great and purposefully avoided it. GOTY it ain't. That goes for Bioshock too.
FrozenTw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FrozenTw
Member since 2005 • 264 Posts
Mass Effect was a great game but the thing that had bothered me most, in which not many people have mentioned, are the squad AI. It's not rare to find one or even two squad members getting stuck in the environment such has behind doors, or even just crates.
Avatar image for MassEfectivator
MassEfectivator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 MassEfectivator
Member since 2007 • 471 Posts

I know that Mass Effect only got an 8.5 from GS, but they piss me off even more when it isn't even nominated for best Xbox 360 game. And it obviously isn't nominated for GOTY. Thanks to Kevin VanOrd, it's not getting the credit it deserves. I mean, exactly, who cares if the frame-rate gets somewhat ugly in a few parts of the game? Mass Effect shouldn't be bashed that much simply for that reason, and it's one of the most replayable and best games I've ever played.

Disturbed_King

True Mass Effect was Great and it was kin of messed up how it got points knocked off for minor glitches, but then again the game wasn't that fun really. I played it so I could talk with people and continue the storyline. Combat really wasn't that fun, but then again, thats my opinion

magic_dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 magic_dragon
Member since 2007 • 1050 Posts
I totally agree, ME should get the nomination, if not the GOTY award.
the1stfandb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 the1stfandb
Member since 2007 • 2397 Posts

[QUOTE="GAMERILEY"]What do you think Mass Effect is better than? Rock Band? Call of Duty 4? Halo 3? The Orange Box? Forza Motorsport? I don't think it should replace any, but then again I don't like RPG's.Andrew_Xavier

Better than:

Rock Bland - Check

Generic Shooter 3 - Check

Borza - Check

Call Of Doodie - Check

The Old Box - Check

It's a real shame that 2 games with next to no single player (cod 4, halo 3) are nominated based entirely on hype, a set of old games (Orange Box), an overrated racer which I wouldn't even name the top racer of the year (forza), and a freakin clone game (rock band) are considered better than a true acheivement in gaming (Mass Effect).

Realistically, gamespot needs to hire reviewers that aren't so freakin stuck on boring FPS, and actually will give a sniff of a chance to other genres....

I hate fps, they are all the same, pretty graphics don't change the game play.

Yes Orange box is just a bunch of old games. OOPS there 3 new ones my bad. Mass effect is great but it isjust graws combat in another bioware game. Its still should be nominated though. Funny names but it just looks like u hate fps's for no good reason.

projectsix1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 projectsix1984
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Mass Effect was awesome. I do think it should be nominated; but not win best 360 or GOTY.
destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

Well, it could be because the game is trash.

Yeah, that's probably it.

lil_d_mack_314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lil_d_mack_314
Member since 2006 • 13969 Posts

Well, it could be because the game is trash.

Yeah, that's probably it.

destinhpark

lol outch

it was a fun game but besides getting a few achievements i missed i didnt really feel like playing it again-and the kicker is that i have always wanted a game like this...i guess Elder Scrolls has SPOILED me:D good thing too.

but honestly i thought it would have aleast got nominated..i guess part of me knew it was going to be Bioshock.

Generic_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 Generic_Dude
Member since 2006 • 11707 Posts

[QUOTE="GAMERILEY"]What do you think Mass Effect is better than? Rock Band? Call of Duty 4? Halo 3? The Orange Box? Forza Motorsport? I don't think it should replace any, but then again I don't like RPG's.kozzy1234

MAss Effect>

Rock Band is made by the people who CREATED Guitar Hero... and it does it better than Guitar Hero ever did.

Zemus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 Zemus
Member since 2003 • 9304 Posts

I finished Mass Effect and almostevery side quest last weekend. The game was a Disappointment in Technical Termsand I am probably one ofthe biggest Bioware fans on this forum from back in the good old days of Baldur's Gate when they created the Infinity Engine

Reasons why it cannot be GOTY

For so Many years in Development it has

• Horrible AI - An enemy hides behind a crate, you see its foot, you shoot the foot until its dead. I must have done this 100-200 times throughout the game, The AI does not care that its being killed it just stands there and dies
  • AI Continued - Enemies literally run at you and do not shoot while you kill them.
  • Level Design on Side Quests - Every Single Side Quest ona Planet has the exact same level design. The same building you will raid a minumum of 4-5 times of the 3-5 different buildings with the exact same enemy placement everytime.
  • Weapon & ArmorMods - So many weapon mods and the only ones worthwhile are changing between Synthetic & Organic Damage, and if you use anything other than a shield booster on your armor your a complete idiot because the other mods do absolutly nothing to assist you
  • Planet Exploring & Mako - Do I even need to go into this? It handles like a Shopping Cart. The Terrain is just a joke Yes we all understand your supposed to explore each and every corner of every planet to find every mineral to finish the Secondary quests, But what do these quests actually do for you other than Money? I lost count when I hit 3mil Credits just from playing the game and bought all the best weapons and armor. You don't even get an Achevement for it

So what makes Mass Effect so great?

The Mainquest. Its that simple. It is so well designed, thoughtout and implemented that you just want to keep playing. the genius thing about that though is that as you play, those mediocre side quests keep popping up as you travel you feel compelled to help the person because Bioware is perhaps the Ace of RPG Dialogue sucking you in and you ignore the flaws of their design that it really doesn't settle in until your more than halfway through the game and just get really annoyed by the horrible design of them enough to just stop doing them alltogether.

But like I said, the Main Quest is just so good you have to keep playing to Finish it. and with the Dialog options you get depending on what you trained with your skillpoints the encounters can be so insane & off the wall. I mean the Ending I got With my Intimidate Skill Maxed made me laugh out loud when I encountered Seren and saw the outcome of using it (I wont spoil it, It's worth seeing without knowing)

The Main Quest makes it Deserve a Nomination imo. but Not the Award itself. I am suprised its not nominated.

super_tails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#34 super_tails
Member since 2004 • 265 Posts

Disturbed_King

I stopped trusting gamespot's reviews a long time, and only refer to my local gaming magazine (Hyper) for an informed view on a game. Why? Because gamespot have been sucked up and molded into a team of elitists who complain far too much about a games fault and not enough focus on it's good qualities. Mass Effect is a prime example. A perfectly good game, with some minor issues, and it doesn't even recieve an editors award, whereas something like, Assassins Creed, which is simply plain, boring and just tiresome compared to ME, recieve that honor.

I'm sorry, but the people who review the games on this site stoped being gamers a long time, and have become mainstream journalists

But yes, I understand WHY it didn't recieve GOTY nomatation, or best 360 nomatation.

solo4321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 solo4321
Member since 2006 • 3338 Posts
i didnt like mass effect i got lost way to easy but it was fun when yu actually know what your doing lol
pimpollazo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 pimpollazo
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
I'm totally agree. I supose gamespot reviewers don't have the mental coeficient for understanding the complete plot of mass effect. Of course is the best game of the year with an abysmal difference over its competitors. And what about the review of Halo3? pffffff please that game is absolutely mediocre... and they give it a 9,5... it's amazing, people living from only playing games and writing about it and they don't even have a solid, reliable opinion... it's pathethic. Mass effect's story, background and plot, appears to be the best story ever told in a videogame, EVER! better than Metal Gear, a lot better than Final fantasy stories... it's better that 90% of the movies... I don't understand why this people don't understand it. I suppose the thing about the game is that people must have some physics, biology, sociologic knowledge to understand all the amazing work in the storyline and subplots. I'm sorry of my bad english, but I suposse you will understand my thoughts...
SorasGhost009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SorasGhost009
Member since 2007 • 1218 Posts
because its not that great of a game
miketuck3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 miketuck3r
Member since 2005 • 144 Posts

Mass Effect and Bioshock are my top 2 360games of the year and neither are on the list..

Forza 2WTF!!

_pulser_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 _pulser_
Member since 2007 • 252 Posts
I would definately say Mass Effect deserves a at least a 9.3 and I was pretty shocked that it didn't get an Editor's Choice award.