Mass Effect 2 Concerns

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheWatchfulEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 TheWatchfulEye
Member since 2009 • 28 Posts

After playing through and beating the first game, I was eager to see the sequel. At first, I was overly excited for Mass Effect 2 when they first announced it; however, my excitement dulled a bit when I heard they would be putting ammo on guns and fuel on your ship into the game. I enjoyed having the infinite ammo and not having to worry about a fuel supply in the first game, so hearing these restrictions were being added didn't make me happy. While these are by no means going to deter me from getting the game, I'm just wondering if anyone else has thoughts about the added limitations.

rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

I can't wait for ME2. That's what I think.

jackelzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 jackelzx
Member since 2008 • 820 Posts

I've keep away from reading too much about mass effect 2 as I don't want to over hype myself :P, I have my own expectations for the game, I've heard odd things about it will weapons and new races, but less I know the better. with this ammo thing I'm sure it won't effect me too much as I use biotics on the first and I'm sure it won't ruin your experience.

DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DJ_Magneto
Member since 2008 • 4675 Posts
But we really can't comment on how those things affect gameplay when we haven't tried it yet. From the preview vids I've seen, the Normandy will be used and upgraded similarly to how the Villa in Assassin's Creed was. So the god awful inventory system from ME1 has been overhauled. Souveniers found along your journey will be kept in Shepard's quarters. There will even be a fish tank in there to fill. There is an armory to keep, view and choose your weapons between missions. So one could assume that ammo could be replenished there. Maybe you don't really need to worry about ammo as much as you think because of that. And I believe the Normandy will be able to be upgraded. Perhaps engine efficiency and weapons? Maybe fuel consumption. So there will be ways to handle these new things. They didn't just tack them on to what we know from ME1. We just have to wait and see.
chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#5 chex81
Member since 2004 • 3661 Posts

originally i didn't like the idea of restricting guns by adding ammo...but after watching some gameplay videos, it seems to make a lot of sense. I now like the fact that they added these additonal changes, it will make senerios more strategic.

SilentlyMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SilentlyMad
Member since 2009 • 2093 Posts

I can't wait for ME2. That's what I think.

rgsniper1
That is how I feel. The next one can not get here soon enough.
DranzarTypeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DranzarTypeF
Member since 2009 • 2623 Posts

I don't really get hyped for games before release...I anticipate them yes, but hyped ? its not the election lol.:P

DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DJ_Magneto

I don't really get hyped for games before release...I anticipate them yes, but hyped ? its not the election lol.:P

DranzarTypeF
Hype, Anticipation. Basically the same thing.
TheWatchfulEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheWatchfulEye

But we really can't comment on how those things affect gameplay when we haven't tried it yet. From the preview vids I've seen, the Normandy will be used and upgraded similarly to how the Villa in Assassin's Creed was. So the god awful inventory system from ME1 has been overhauled. Souveniers found along your journey will be kept in Shepard's quarters. There will even be a fish tank in there to fill. There is an armory to keep, view and choose your weapons between missions. So one could assume that ammo could be replenished there. Maybe you don't really need to worry about ammo as much as you think because of that. And I believe the Normandy will be able to be upgraded. Perhaps engine efficiency and weapons? Maybe fuel consumption. So there will be ways to handle these new things. They didn't just tack them on to what we know from ME1. We just have to wait and see.DJ_Magneto

You bring up valid points. I am aware of the upgrades and such, but I just think it would be awkward for someone like me who relies heavily on guns (I was played as a soldier) to run out of ammo on a gun and be forced to use another until I could get more ammo. There will probably be a decent amount available throughout the missions.

originally i didn't like the idea of restricting guns by adding ammo...but after watching some gameplay videos, it seems to make a lot of sense. I now like the fact that they added these additonal changes, it will make senerios more strategic.chex81

True. That would definitely add a new level of how to use weapons.

DranzarTypeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DranzarTypeF
Member since 2009 • 2623 Posts

[QUOTE="DranzarTypeF"]

DJ_Magneto

Essentially...but I think people who get "hyped" set their selfs up for disappointment more so than people who are anticipating something. Anticipating means that its basically on your radar.

Dawq902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 Dawq902
Member since 2007 • 6796 Posts

I could care less about the fuel and ammo. I'm sure it wont be an extremly noticeable difference.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

My only concern is that the video I've seen make the game look like a very fast paced 3PS. I kinda stink at fast paced 3PS so that worries me a little bit, but i'll still play the game.

DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DJ_Magneto

My only concern is that the video I've seen make the game look like a very fast paced 3PS. I kinda stink at fast paced 3PS so that worries me a little bit, but i'll still play the game.

Senor_Kami
Depends on the class you use. Play as an adept and use biotic powers over your traditional guns. You have the ability to "pause" in game to select which power to use. Slow the game down and plan out your next move.
ACHEEKSMALLOY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ACHEEKSMALLOY
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

eh fuel and ammo might be a good thing since i'll have something to use all my credits on. by time i was level 45 i was running around with over 900 million credits. hopefully there'll be some expensive asari consorts too.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

^ Maybe it'll read your save file and this time Asari mods and weapons will be available at certain stores rather than in the last game where the Asari senator tells you that but they're nowhere to be found.

Fuel sounds like a way to force the player to do side missions. You stop on some planet for fuel and find out biotic terrorsits have taken over the planet and the only way to get it is to kill them all or do some sidequest to gain their favor.

Zemus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Zemus
Member since 2003 • 9304 Posts

Pretty sure its confirmed only Large Weapons will have Ammo like Rocket Launchers. pretty sure everything else is unlimited like before.

And it makes sense. Unlimited ammo on a rocket launcher in a shooter is just the definition of cheating.

Fuel for the ship IMO is refreshing it adds new gameplay elements that require strategy, im glad there are putting a focus more on space travel. I had Maximum Credits in Mass Effect by the time I was half way through the game and nothing to spend it on Fuel makes sense for some of it

TheWatchfulEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheWatchfulEye

Pretty sure its confirmed only Large Weapons will have Ammo like Rocket Launchers. pretty sure everything else is unlimited like before.Zemus

In all of the latest gamplay videos, the weapons have ammo counters, not just the heavy weapons.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts

Essentially...but I think people who get "hyped" set their selfs up for disappointment more so than people who are anticipating something. Anticipating means that its basically on your radar.DranzarTypeF

Hype is the biggest killer of games for people, because people don't know how to manage thier hype. They set the game up to a standard that it cant possibly live up to.

When it comes to the addition of ammo, I don't have a problem with it for two reasons. One for a game thats heavy on the shooting, and has lots of crates and lockers etc. I don't think gathering and maintaining ammo will be an issue. Two it gives you a reason to use your other weapons, I know in ME1(playing through it right now for the 1st time) I have the Spectre weapons and all I use is the Sniper Rifle. On shot removes the sheild and next shot kills the enemy, from across the battlefield, no reason to use another gun. It promotes experiencing more of the games weapons and adds another layer to choosing your weapon. The overheating meter doesn't really matter because that has happened like twice to me in approaching 30hrs,.

teh_shogun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 teh_shogun
Member since 2009 • 714 Posts

only heavy weapons will have ammo.

Louis-D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Louis-D
Member since 2006 • 1867 Posts

The combat in the fist game was kind of sluggish, but they've apparently revamped the new one. This will probably mean you have more time to aim your shots, because I always felt there was a slight case of 'spraying and praying' in the original.

I can't see the ammo or fuel being a problem really. Bioware are experienced enough to know that you can't just strip away something which is a core part of the game.

mattg90520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mattg90520
Member since 2006 • 3115 Posts
yeah, havent heard this. i too try to keep away from a lot of videos, previews and the such... not because i think im going to overhype a game. that i cant really prevent. what i want is to go in fresh, not knowing too much. i know a little but i didnt know this. it kinda stinks, yeah, but im going to trust bioware in putting these to good measure in the game.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#22 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Its going to be awesome and better then the 1st one I bet.

Will fuel and having to get ammo really bother you that much? Come on dude.

PostNothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PostNothing
Member since 2009 • 325 Posts

The ammo is unlimited (except for the heavy weapons), but instead of letting the weapon cool down after overheating, you'll have to use Thermal Clips.. it's actually very similar to the regular ammo system. Anyway the Thermal Clips are universal, and you can collect them off the bodies of the dead enemies. In my opinion it's a great idea, it will add tension to the combat, also it will give you a reason to use the other weapons. About the new fuel system, I read that if you run out of fuel you'll have to use the collected Minerals until the ship has been refueld.

PabloEscobar20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PabloEscobar20
Member since 2009 • 837 Posts

Yea I have the same concerns actually. It wouldn't be a HUGE problem if it didn't take a freakin full clip to kill 1-2 enemies. In COD you might get limited ammo, but you can usually kill people with 2-5 bullets. But from all the videos i watched, in ME 2 you have to unload a whole clip to kill 1 maybe 2 guys, it's just ridiculous. There is constant reloading every 5 seconds. It might get really annoying. Hopefully Bioware deliver and it ends up being a minor issue.

Zemus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 Zemus
Member since 2003 • 9304 Posts

[QUOTE="Zemus"]Pretty sure its confirmed only Large Weapons will have Ammo like Rocket Launchers. pretty sure everything else is unlimited like before.TheWatchfulEye

In all of the latest gamplay videos, the weapons have ammo counters, not just the heavy weapons.

evenso, it doesn't bother me at all in anyway. Anyone who thinks its a problem really needs to move on to important things. sinse when was unlimited ammo a staple of a shooter?

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#27 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
Bioware has never disappointed me in the past, and I doubt Mass Effect 2 will be any different. The fact that they have ammo now means one of two things: 1. You'll still find more than enough ammo from caches, or 2. There's a bigger variety of weapon types, and limiting the ammo encourages you to try out more than just one weapon And as for the fuel, one of two reasons 1. You'll find more than enough fuel anyway, or 2. Limiting the fuel encourages you to explore places you might have otherwise ignored
TheWatchfulEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheWatchfulEye

The ammo is unlimited (except for the heavy weapons), but instead of letting the weapon cool down after overheating, you'll have to use Thermal Clips.. it's actually very similar to the regular ammo system. Anyway the Thermal Clips are universal, and you can collect them off the bodies of the dead enemies. In my opinion it's a great idea, it will add tension to the combat, also it will give you a reason to use the other weapons. About the new fuel system, I read that if you run out of fuel you'll have to use the collected Minerals until the ship has been refueld.

PostNothing

Okay. Thanks for clearing up that whole thermal clip thing. I've been wondering about that since they talked about it. In my opinion, thermal clips are essentially limited ammo. They behave the same way as a magazine in other shooters, so I see it as limited ammo. As for fuel, that would be an interesting concept. It would definitely be a good way to use them.

TheMightyHoov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TheMightyHoov
Member since 2009 • 2459 Posts

I thought I wasnt going to like the idea of ammo inFallout 3 but luckily I am an ammo hoarder :P

Now I have about 50,000 5mm rounds, 10,000 shotgun shells, and 18,000 5.56 rounds. So I am not worried about ammo in Mass Effect 2 xD

guitarshr3dd3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 guitarshr3dd3r
Member since 2009 • 1151 Posts
[QUOTE="DranzarTypeF"]

DJ_Magneto

Hype is to boast about something, or like make it bigger than it seems, anticipate is to look forward to something (;
chefstubbies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 chefstubbies
Member since 2007 • 2583 Posts

[QUOTE="DranzarTypeF"]

DJ_Magneto

I anticipate a busy day at work...but am I hyped about a busy day at work? No.

shabab12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 shabab12
Member since 2007 • 2613 Posts

Im more concrended about the graphics. Why do they get significantly worse during gameplay.