Make scratched discs like new with peanut butter

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by imlolmon (503 posts) -
this is my first time on any sort of gaming forum, ive been doing this trick for years now and i thought it was a common thing. i come on here and reccomend it to someone in the "scratched disc" topic and people just think its a hoax or funny prank im trying to play. all you have to do is get peanut butter and spread it all over the bottom side of the disc. leave it for a few seconds then completely wipe it all off with something smooth that wouldnt harm the disc.. after this you should see little to no scratches on the disc and it should look and work brand new. if anyone bothers to try it i would appreciate it if you would vouch for it because this could help a lot of people and save cash in your pocket instead of buying disc cleaners..
#2 Posted by Blue_Abyss (176 posts) -

Im open to any thing, problem is i never get scratched disks (not to sound arrogent) and i dont usually have peanut butter, but when i have both in my possesion i will attempt it.

#3 Posted by Stinger78 (5845 posts) -

It sounds odd, but I've heard of things like toothpaste (regular white kind) also helping disks.

#4 Posted by martin099 (59 posts) -
this only works for minor scratches, no chance it will help with the perfect circle scratches.
#5 Posted by -SPECTER-MIKE (576 posts) -

IDK about peanut butter, but toothpaste does not work.

#6 Posted by imlolmon (503 posts) -
well yeah if its a DEEP scratch then i dont think there is anything that could help that.
#7 Posted by moose_knuckler (5722 posts) -

IDK about peanut butter, but toothpaste does not work.

-SPECTER-MIKE
Awww man now if I scratch my discs I'll be stuck whether to use PB on a disc or through a J in for a wicked sandwich.
#8 Posted by raylewisnfl52 (7146 posts) -
I really havent had a problem with scratched games
#9 Posted by iam2green (13991 posts) -
i'm going to go try toothpaste. i have heard that works, i'm going to try it on a game i haven't played in a long time. ill post back to tell u.
#10 Posted by GwannaSauna (583 posts) -

If the peanut butter doesn't work, you could always have a delicious peanut butter, jelly and disc sandwich.

#11 Posted by geedotherodian (697 posts) -

Toothpaste does work!I cleaned my cousins entire PS2 collection with it and he treats his discs like s***

#12 Posted by pygmahia5 (7428 posts) -
im sure it works great, ill have to try it out after i take out my 360 from the freezer to stop it from overheating. :rolls:
#13 Posted by chaoscougar1 (37597 posts) -
toothpaste is better, and probs less greasy as well, u dont want a tonne of oil on your disc
Avatar image for monkeymoose5000
#14 Posted by monkeymoose5000 (6111 posts) -
...What ever happened to soap?
#15 Posted by perfectdefect (83 posts) -

highlighters work pretty good too.

#16 Posted by StingrayA (94 posts) -

all the advice given about scratched discs is because all these substances full in the scratches and while dont provide accurate or not data for the disc, make the hole small enough for the reader to not hav a heart attack. The best thing to use is standard car polish. Its designed for metallic surfaces which is a lot closer to a CD than wat peanut butter is designed for :P but also most of the "repair scratched disc" packs contain a spray bottle of a substance thats extremely close to car polish if not is car polish itself (inside information) but charge twice to three times as much.

Other solutions can work, this just seems the most logical to me and the 1 i use and has worked well for me for many years.

#17 Posted by Temtamperu (310 posts) -

Have you guys tried using the boxes for your games? Ive found it works wonders on scratches.

#18 Posted by karriston (3631 posts) -
Knives, acid and fire also work well.
#19 Posted by DPhunkT (1803 posts) -
^Yeah the green plastic cases that come with every new or even used game! I see so many topics about scratched disks. Do I have scratched disks? No. Then I wonder how so many people have scratch disks? STOP BEING DAMN LAZY AND PUT EM BACK IN THE CASE WHEN YOU ARE DONE!
#20 Posted by Wedge598 (1263 posts) -
^Yeah the green plastic cases that come with every new or even used game! I see so many topics about scratched disks. Do I have scratched disks? No. Then I wonder how so many people have scratch disks? STOP BEING DAMN LAZY AND PUT EM BACK IN THE CASE WHEN YOU ARE DONE!DPhunkT
I agree. It's very easy not to scratch the discs if you just use a little care.
#21 Posted by nate_c-12 (3072 posts) -
I wonder if jelly works? hmm anywho....how does putting touthpaste or pb on a disk remove the scratches?
#22 Posted by LessThanMike (5363 posts) -
...What ever happened to soap?monkeymoose5000
ohhh, never heard of that one before, interesting!!
#23 Posted by mariokart64fan (20688 posts) -

^Yeah the green plastic cases that come with every new or even used game! I see so many topics about scratched disks. Do I have scratched disks? No. Then I wonder how so many people have scratch disks? STOP BEING DAMN LAZY AND PUT EM BACK IN THE CASE WHEN YOU ARE DONE!DPhunkT
well what if ur 360 caused the scratches? hows putting them in their cases help if the system maks little scratches lol

#24 Posted by XCyberForceX (1222 posts) -

Here's one for you.

You get rid of scratches on a game with peanutbutter and don't think anything of it. You invite you friend over to play a game. You put the game in and start playing. Soon you friend starts to have problems breathing, his tongue swells, and dies in your house. Later you realize that your friend was severly allergic to peanut butter and buy putting in the console and having the disc heat up, you just flooded the place with the one thing your friend can die from. Should you go to jail? Will the judge believe your story about getting rid of scratches with peanut butter?

Personally, It wouldn't hold up in a court of law and this technique definitely doesn't work.

Now SPIT is a different story.

#25 Posted by acidicadis (580 posts) -

I have always used Tooth paste and haven't really tried peanut butter. When I was little, I would use soap and stuff like that. Or I would run it under hot water.

#26 Posted by DoomZaW (6475 posts) -

I won't even as much as consider it, until Science proves otherwise. Unless you come up with a scientific explaination to how the peanut butter can repair the scratches, i'll still stick to the fact that the large amounts of salt and lard can't possibly in anyway be repairing. And don't try to pack some "peanut power" into my brain

#27 Posted by msudude211 (44518 posts) -
Sorry, pics or it didn't happen.
#28 Posted by enix165 (1848 posts) -

If the peanut butter doesn't work, you could always have a delicious peanut butter, jelly and disc sandwich.

GwannaSauna

MMM-MMM!

#29 Posted by hughami (1045 posts) -
im sure it works great, ill have to try it out after i take out my 360 from the freezer to stop it from overheating. :rolls:pygmahia5
hahaha seriously im not b-s-ing the dude but i'd never put peanut butter on one of my discs. i used to spit on them but peanut butter is too far.
#30 Posted by choffy (1881 posts) -

Here's one for you.

You get rid of scratches on a game with peanutbutter and don't think anything of it. You invite you friend over to play a game. You put the game in and start playing. Soon you friend starts to have problems breathing, his tongue swells, and dies in your house. Later you realize that your friend was severly allergic to peanut butter and buy putting in the console and having the disc heat up, you just flooded the place with the one thing your friend can die from. Should you go to jail? Will the judge believe your story about getting rid of scratches with peanut butter?

Personally, It don't it would hold up in a court of law and this technique definitely doesn't work.

XCyberForceX
No. Just no.