Lost Planet 2 Opinions? (Screw reviews, it's awesome)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MorbidToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 MorbidToaster
Member since 2008 • 1434 Posts

I've been really suprised at the reviews for Lost Planet 2, the've been for the most part terrible. I have NO IDEA WHY they are this bad. GameSpot gave it a 5.5, Destructoid gave it a 4. Granted, these are the worst of the worst, but still. People not trying this game based on reviews is garbage.

There's a few things I would change, and a few little annoyances, but nothing to warrant grades that low.

One of the biggest complaints I've seen is the controls. Just because something is different, doesn't make it bad. I really like the controls, and the layout for emotes is simple. The turn buttons feel wasted (just up your sensitivity), but other than that...they're solid.

Another complaint I've seen is the difficulty. Cry some more. Really? It's not THAT hard (started playing through on Hard yesterday), and since when do reviewers whine that much? Casuals (trollface.jpg)

Bottom line, I can agree with some of the low reviews points, but I'd give it a solid 8 for the general public. I'd give it a 9.5 for me because I LOVE this game.

What do YOU think?

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 balfe1990
Member since 2009 • 6747 Posts

Well I played both demos, and while then graphics are top-notch, the gameplay feels a little strange. I get the impression that theres little character or identity to the game which is pretty much essential for me...

I dunno, I'd have to test the retail to give you a decent answer..

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

It's broken

The game isn't difficult, it's broken and cheap. Things like knockdown from the first game have been extended to try to make the game harder and instead it makes it incredibly frustrating and cheap.

Things like some levels where you can go into the water and other levels where you can't just screams bad developers

The AI on both sides is so freaking stupid that they all operate like they're glitched. If this is the real AI that they planned for this game then holy crap someone needs to be fired

The game is broken, if you like it that's fine but let's not try to say the game is good, it's nowhere close.

Billly_Mayes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Billly_Mayes
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

I agree with the author of this thread. This game is MUCH better than a 5.5.

I remember I started a thread similar to this, and it got deleted and the mod said I was basiclly being a "troll".

Anyway, this game has a lot of good things to offer. Me and my friend basically spent this WHOLE week on 1 playthrough. And the giant sandworm was possibly the most fun and frantic game expierences ever, as soon as you figure out where to go and what to do. Now that we have beat the game, we can use whichever character we would like, and they show up in cut scenes (yay Frank West). Graphics are top of the line.

I would like to talk about the game being "to hard". Me and my friend said "well, that was cheap" only 1 time throughout the probably close to 14 hours of gameplay. It was the final boss (I won't go into detail). Although I was like "well that sucks", video games are MEANT to be hard. However, this game was not that hard. Call of Duty: WaW on veteran is harder than this game.

I would recommend to anyone that likes a 3rd person shooter.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts
its awful game
MorbidToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MorbidToaster

I agree with the author of this thread. This game is MUCH better than a 5.5.

I remember I started a thread similar to this, and it got deleted and the mod said I was basiclly being a "troll".

Anyway, this game has a lot of good things to offer. Me and my friend basically spent this WHOLE week on 1 playthrough. And the giant sandworm was possibly the most fun and frantic game expierences ever, as soon as you figure out where to go and what to do. Now that we have beat the game, we can use whichever character we would like, and they show up in cut scenes (yay Frank West). Graphics are top of the line.

I would like to talk about the game being "to hard". Me and my friend said "well, that was cheap" only 1 time throughout the probably close to 14 hours of gameplay. It was the final boss (I won't go into detail). Although I was like "well that sucks", video games are MEANT to be hard. However, this game was not that hard. Call of Duty: WaW on veteran is harder than this game.

I would recommend to anyone that likes a 3rd person shooter.

Billly_Mayes
Everytime any of my 6 friends with the game are online, we play, and love it. Minimum of 6 hours a session. I just broke 30 hours on Campaign alone. I love it. I had problems with a few bosses. 2, and 5 if I remember correctly. 5 was the only one that felt 'broken' and that's because of the weird physics in that particular level.
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Snipes_2
Member since 2009 • 17126 Posts

I played the Demos, Didn't like them.

Englando_IV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Englando_IV
Member since 2008 • 4334 Posts
Yeah, I don't care about the reviews, I think it looks good.
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Snipes_2

It actually got an 8.5 from Game informer so, that should make you guys a little happier :P

narog84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 narog84
Member since 2006 • 1126 Posts

the controls are really hard alot of dying be falling from a train or water still the game can be fun the demo is like one of the best parts of the game

gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts
I told one of my buddys not to get it, on the first few hours he played it he said I didn't know what I was talking about. Lets just say I haven't seen the game in his disc tray the next day! lol..it's funny because he won't even talk about the game anymore. I let it go though..and thought to myself told ya so
MorbidToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MorbidToaster

It actually got an 8.5 from Game informer so, that should make you guys a little happier :P

Snipes_2
It's not getting terrible grades across the board. That was one of the points I made.
narog84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 narog84

am gonna play the game on hard now xD the split screen is really small

MorbidToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MorbidToaster

am gonna play the game on hard now xD the split screen is really small

narog84
A lot of games are having to do that now. The graphics processor can't handle the full split. I'm currently farming to get all of my factions to 50. 1-3 Hard Mode is the best solo farming I've found. 5-3 Hard Mode is the best Co-op.
Avatar image for JayQproductions
JayQproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JayQproductions
Member since 2007 • 1806 Posts

the game was boring to me, usually no matter how bad the game is i almost always atleast finish the game because i rent them but i just couldnt do it with LP2, and the multiplayer was absolutely horrible. i still have not played a Capcom game with good multiplayer. and yea, the train level was absolute BS you got thrown off the train 9 out of 10 times unless you got lucky and your body hit a wall preventing you from falling off, they should of made it so you shoot your grappling hook if you got knocked off the train.

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Snipes_2
[QUOTE="Snipes_2"]

MorbidToaster
It's not getting terrible grades across the board. That was one of the points I made.

Yeah, I know. Just thought I'd add that.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#18 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

The bad reviews didn't make up problems from what I've read, if you enjoy the game even with those problems that's fine. I enjoy playing the Dynasty Warrior and Samurai Warriors games, I'd never go around arguing that they are great games and to ignore reviews though.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

I hated it even more than the first. Not a good game.

orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#20 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
Since I KNOW there's gonna be a price drop soon, I'll get it in a few months.
Avatar image for bobbleheadrogue
bobbleheadrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 bobbleheadrogue
Member since 2009 • 2203 Posts
Since I KNOW there's gonna be a price drop soon, I'll get it in a few months.orb_03_2006
yea grab it when its around $25 then it won't be total loss... I only tried the demo and oh christ...was it bad :P
MorbidToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MorbidToaster

the game was boring to me, usually no matter how bad the game is i almost always atleast finish the game because i rent them but i just couldnt do it with LP2, and the multiplayer was absolutely horrible. i still have not played a Capcom game with good multiplayer. and yea, the train level was absolute BS you got thrown off the train 9 out of 10 times unless you got lucky and your body hit a wall preventing you from falling off, they should of made it so you shoot your grappling hook if you got knocked off the train.

JayQproductions
How about not getting shot? I had no problems on the trains at all... :\
Avatar image for JayQproductions
JayQproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JayQproductions
Member since 2007 • 1806 Posts

it's physically impossible not to get hit, especially when the big worm rub's up against the tank/train, there is absolutely nothing to counter it

narog84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 narog84

train part can be hard first time but is not that much xD

Darkslayer16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Darkslayer16
Member since 2006 • 3619 Posts

I like the game a fair bit.. haven't started campaign because waiting for my friend to get it. Spent most my time getting the "NUMBER 1" title so far.

cjohnson007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 cjohnson007
Member since 2008 • 171 Posts

I've been playing it and I have to say that I'm on the fence. Yeah it's not the best game. But its not the worst game by far. I know as I continue to play it it will grow on me as do all games. I just wish the missions weren't so short and there was some character development.

laliberte11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 laliberte11
Member since 2008 • 4246 Posts

i dont really listen to reviews too much, they give average games a 7.0 when an average rating is 5.0

cjohnson007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 cjohnson007

Yeah I to don't really pay attention to reviews. I do read them. Then when I get the game I can see what they where talking about but over all I make sure I enjoy the game. But there have been games that have gotten high reviews and I though they where stupid and the other way around.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
I liked it. Haven't finished it, so it isn't something I CAN'T put down, but its a good game. The controls are a bit wonky, and you can tell it's a japanese developed title, what with the penchant for screen filling bosses. The biggest complaints I have about it are that there are so many ways to die instantly, and the life/respawn system is confusing to me, and there is no way to either change the crouch button off of the left stick, or to make it a toggle switch.
TheMightyHoov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TheMightyHoov
Member since 2009 • 2459 Posts

I hated the first one. So no way I was geting this one.

cjohnson007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 cjohnson007

I will say that this Lost Planet is much more frusturating then the last one. The 1st one had some problems but I was able to get through them and enjoy the game. In this one it's to much. And also it seems that the game itself is mainly relied on playing cooperativly then alone which kinda takes away from things. Still I'm gonna press through it. As long as there is beer I will get through this game.

DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DJ_Magneto
Member since 2008 • 4675 Posts
This is exactly the game that perfectly represents the argument that Gameplay is more important than Graphics.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c23908d36a7f
deactivated-5c23908d36a7f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5c23908d36a7f
Member since 2009 • 859 Posts

Awfully awful. The demo was terrible. So i avoided the buy. LP 1 was amazing. Capcom are stupid because they didn't introduce a pre-game lobby for LP1 or 2. Which means unless you play player matches, you have a crap chance of being on the same team as your friends.

CAPCOM, seriously are you dumb?!!!!

Darkslayer16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Darkslayer16

Awfully awful. The demo was terrible. So i avoided the buy. LP 1 was amazing. Capcom are stupid because they didn't introduce a pre-game lobby for LP1 or 2. Which means unless you play player matches, you have a crap chance of being on the same team as your friends.

NevecLP

You can level up in player matches also tho so why does it matter?

Fighter215

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Fighter215
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Heh =)
Avatar image for deactivated-5c23908d36a7f
deactivated-5c23908d36a7f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5c23908d36a7f
Member since 2009 • 859 Posts

[QUOTE="NevecLP"]

Darkslayer16

It's pretty obvious... :/

Anti-Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Anti-Venom
Member since 2008 • 5646 Posts
I liked the first one a lot, but part 2 is a letdown
ironshell1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#38 ironshell1
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

i would say this is a great game but it has horrible reviews because its not like call of duty where you can jump in the ame and instantly play you actually have to lean boss motions when to roll how long it takes to kill thins and learn stratagy with your team its no easy game BUT it is very very very good even the online is one of the best

Darkslayer16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Darkslayer16

[QUOTE="Darkslayer16"]

[QUOTE="NevecLP"]

NevecLP

It's pretty obvious... :/

No it's not.. player matches have more gametypes, more control over them and you still rank up. So seriously how is that a problem?

YoungSinatra25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 YoungSinatra25
Member since 2009 • 4314 Posts
Enjoyed LP2 MP demo more then the Reach Beta. (not joking) Bad button layout. Somethings feel OP and stumbling from getting shot is stupid. (throw off my aim not knock me around) But with all the faults its actually FUN. Screw everything else if I'm having fun... RDR then LP2 when I get money.
FITRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 FITRS
Member since 2010 • 379 Posts
The reviews are rubbish, including the one here on GS. The game is loads of fun, great presentation and solid game play. Just because the game has different control scheme doesn't make it crap. Most importantly, it should be recognised this game was designed to have 4 player coop campaign. You can do it via pick ups or with friends, not to play with oneself. The weapons and vital suits have excellent feel. The storyline follows different perspective of each faction yet are converging. It's not rocket science. The boss fights are epic and require some thought to unravel. Yes you will die in the process, big deal. On dying, the battle game is simply another way of implementing group lives count. How hard is that to understand. You have a set pool of lives, you can increase it by activating the data points or it can be drained by people in your 4 man team dying. Same concept from Super Mario.. you have lives, you die, you use up lives. Hardly a valid complaint. I really am disappointed with the Gamespot review as they gave such a resounding applause for Demon's Souls which on many accounts is similar to Lost Planet 2 in terms of coop play and boss fights. I had faith Gamespot could understand the unique Japanese way of implementing a shooter. However instead of trying to understand the game, the review came in with the mindset that it should follow the footsteps of Halo or COD: MW2 and provide the same slop again and again. The success of games like this suffer because of poor reviews. COD:MW2 is an example of such derivative and boring game play that sticks to an old and tried solution. Games like Lost Planet 2 try different approaches and tries to innovate and succeeds in bundles because the coop campaign is a real blast to play with three other people.
zombiejonny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 zombiejonny
Member since 2003 • 8277 Posts

i really enjoyed the game alot, the only thing that i dont like is the lack of checkpoints this game has. I mean if there is a level that has 3 section in it there should be at least a checkpoint for each section.