L4D2 Demo impressions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

Ok so i just got the demo, i didnt pre order or anything. I enjoyed L4D1 , but wasnt super crazy about it like many were. So i played the second one, or the demo at least, and heres what i thought.

Good-

Added Weapon detail, game looks much better from first person

saw a couple new enemies which were all fun to fight

improved AI pathing makes combat quicker and more random

Fantastic damage displayed on zombies.(very gory and spot on to where you hit them)

Bad-

New characters are less likable then the old 4.

Game still has pretty poor graphics besides the nice weapon detail

Plays identically to the first game

Melee weapons are somewhat useless and just result in you losing health that wouldnt have been lost if you had a gun.

Most new weapons feel like re-skins of old ones

the demo level was very bland.

So in total id say , if you were a huge fan of the first game, this is a must buy. If you liked the first game its probably still a buy, however i wont be getting it because i need the money for better releases, and i cannot justify buying a game that plays just like the one before it. If you didnt like L4D nothing will change your mind in this one.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#2 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14419 Posts

what if I never played the first one?

Wakanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Wakanoid
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

Melee weapons aren't pointless at all actually, and work quite well. and also. Weapons arent really copies, ak47?

Boomer bile theres tons of new stuff, The graphics don't really need to be any better.

And I forgot exactly what your post said, but I agree with characters less likeable, but theres tons of new stuff.

Levels take different paths to, and there weather changer hasn't been put to work yet. So don't judge the game on the demo really. Like, I don't think you can decide to tell people to rent or buy from a demo. unless its REALLY bad

LightColor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 LightColor
Member since 2006 • 2709 Posts
well the engine it runs on is pretty old, but still looks great imo, and basically all sequels play identically to the 1st, but still good lol, im not buyin it right away, feel its a lil too soon, but i'll b gettin it just not now...
Avatar image for Brandenthesmark
Brandenthesmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Brandenthesmark
Member since 2009 • 37 Posts

Im not gonna get it it feels too much like the first one

summer_star17x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 summer_star17x
Member since 2007 • 2683 Posts
my first impression of the game: the level was REALLY bland, and way too bright. Yeah i get that it's day time...but i don't know, it just didn't feel very zombie-y to me. compared to the first one's demo, when i first played it, i thought, wow this game is so awesome and scary: dark atmosphere, the area was fun to explore, the zombies were actually scary... now when i played this demo, i wasn't scared of the zombies. they became more annoying than anything. it felt like a chore to shoot them and whack them away. i didn't bother exploring the level, to look for pills or other weapons. I also didn't like the melee weapons. they felt useless. also the characters seemed really boring. the whole time I was longing for louis to shout out his highpitched "RELOOOADIN!" sound. or francis to say that he hates stairs. nothing about these new characters stood out to me. again, it's only a demo. I will get the full game. but maybe not on the first day.
I_am_theOpus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 I_am_theOpus
Member since 2009 • 768 Posts

Sounds lame, no real innovations gets a thumbs down from me. I'll check out the demo anyway though, I guess I really have to play before I judge.

Wakanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Wakanoid
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

Well, My friend who hated left 4 dead 1, absolutely loves this one, and I do as well. I still thinks its loads of fun, when it comes out theres going to be alot more levels, and everything. but yeah.

jimivey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 jimivey
Member since 2009 • 113 Posts

Similar to the previous? Would never expect that out of EA...

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

Similar to the previous? Would never expect that out of EA...

jimivey

similar is and understatement here. I mean , if you mastered the first game, you will fly through this one.

gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
This is obviously an opinion...but this is the only title i'll be purchasing this month. And to be honest i don't even care about the online multi-player. It's just plain fun.
istreakforfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#12 istreakforfood
Member since 2004 • 7781 Posts

I'm really excited for this game.

Melee is not pointless. It is very usefull.

Versus mode is going to be really interesting with the new special infected. Seems like the survivors will be at a disadvantage.

Lastly, Coach is pure win.

Pdiddy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Pdiddy105
Member since 2007 • 4577 Posts

i think its even worse than the first one. it just doesn't feel right.

alexbaricco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 alexbaricco
Member since 2008 • 350 Posts

Enjoyed it, it flows really well and has the technical polish you expect from Valve. Characters seem fine, won't know how likeable they are until the full game.

Lots of fun MP hours await.

Avatar image for FunkyHeadHunter
FunkyHeadHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FunkyHeadHunter
Member since 2007 • 1758 Posts

Love it just like the 1st one. Demo will be played a million times just like the 1st one did. Its the most fun splitscreen coop with my 2 boys..love it.

FunkyHeadHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FunkyHeadHunter

Im not gonna get it it feels too much like the first one

Brandenthesmark

Thats the best thing about it. The 1st one is awesome fun and I have went through it probably 50 times if any....coop splitscreen with my kids killing zombies and NOW wacking zombie heads off to a pool of blood...AWESOME..and that is all that matters. I have never played the 1st one online and dont care anything about it on this one.

NintendoGamer3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NintendoGamer3
Member since 2008 • 2848 Posts
Never played a L4D game, and I ABSOLUTLY loved it. Gunna buy the 1st game this week, and then the 2nd when it comes out.
mikel222222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mikel222222
Member since 2004 • 1162 Posts
I really enjoyed the music, new weapons, I actually liked the characters, beside from the girl. The level really didn't seem that zombie like to me, though I liked how there were objects that should the sickness when it first started (gates, for waiting lines, boarded up spots) I think the level would've been better with more paths, making it a bit of an open linear game. but this is a demo, I will wait for a review for sure (as I would've done, regardless of playing the demo)
PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts

More of the same and I like it.

mattg90520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mattg90520
Member since 2006 • 3115 Posts

speedfreak48t5p
same. i was going to get it over summer but became confused when they anounced this. did anyone else have veyr laggy connections, though? mine were awful, maybe its just the fact that its a demo but jeeze it was bad
-SPECTER-MIKE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 -SPECTER-MIKE
Member since 2008 • 576 Posts
[QUOTE="summer_star17x"]my first impression of the game: the level was REALLY bland, and way too bright. Yeah i get that it's day time...but i don't know, it just didn't feel very zombie-y to me. compared to the first one's demo, when i first played it, i thought, wow this game is so awesome and scary: dark atmosphere, the area was fun to explore, the zombies were actually scary... now when i played this demo, i wasn't scared of the zombies. they became more annoying than anything. it felt like a chore to shoot them and whack them away. i didn't bother exploring the level, to look for pills or other weapons. I also didn't like the melee weapons. they felt useless. also the characters seemed really boring. the whole time I was longing for louis to shout out his highpitched "RELOOOADIN!" sound. or francis to say that he hates stairs. nothing about these new characters stood out to me. again, it's only a demo. I will get the full game. but maybe not on the first day.

You hit the nail on the head.
xfactor19990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 xfactor19990
Member since 2004 • 10917 Posts
ummm i loved it, had it since halloween from Perordering however i got on PC
cthecoffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 cthecoffee
Member since 2003 • 1432 Posts

demo was a little laggy but i like the new weps

gamerfreak1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gamerfreak1991
Member since 2005 • 2501 Posts
I haven't even played the demo yet and I think I'll pass on this one. I bought the first L4D and I barely squeezed 10 hours out of it, to me it just felt overly repetitive and linear.
FunkyHeadHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FunkyHeadHunter

I haven't even played the demo yet and I think I'll pass on this one. I bought the first L4D and I barely squeezed 10 hours out of it, to me it just felt overly repetitive and linear.gamerfreak1991

ME and my 2 boys played just the demo way more then 10hrs...waaaayyy more. And that offline heck I have never once played online...I love the mindless zombie shooting. Its just dumbfun..

gamerfreak1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 gamerfreak1991
Member since 2005 • 2501 Posts

[QUOTE="gamerfreak1991"]I haven't even played the demo yet and I think I'll pass on this one. I bought the first L4D and I barely squeezed 10 hours out of it, to me it just felt overly repetitive and linear.FunkyHeadHunter

ME and my 2 boys played just the demo way more then 10hrs...waaaayyy more. And that offline heck I have never once played online...I love the mindless zombie shooting. Its just dumbfun..

I guess it's an acquired taste then.
Flamecommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Flamecommando
Member since 2003 • 11634 Posts

I only had one major problem with it. Every multiplayer game lags bad. Hopefully it gets better.

imperial_agent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#28 imperial_agent
Member since 2006 • 2195 Posts

loved the first one. no need to make part 2 drastically different. overall 2 is better. crisper graphics, larger settings, more weapons, more story elements, funnier characters, more special infected, and more creative campaigns.

explasiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 explasiv
Member since 2007 • 1420 Posts
Its Extremely Exciting and really Amazing i will buy it.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#30 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
It plays pretty much as I expected. I wont get it. It's just not my kind of game.
guitardude1243

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 guitardude1243
Member since 2008 • 647 Posts

My opinion line up with yours pretty closely. I wouldn't of considered character connection in my "Pros and Cons" list because that isn't really the objective of the series. But the melee weapons (while fun to use) are pretty useles unless you back yourself into a corner with a Machete and just swing and watch the body parts fly.

istreakforfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 istreakforfood

I only had one major problem with it. Every multiplayer game lags bad. Hopefully it gets better.

Flamecommando

Might have to do with the traffic on Valve servers cause people were DLing the demo like crazy on the first day. Someone told me even L4D matches were laggy that day.

I played the demo during the day with randoms and was laggy, but when I played it last night I had really good connection.

misfit_780

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 misfit_780
Member since 2006 • 339 Posts

I played the demo very briefly last night. And thought it was very good it is incredibly similar to the first game which isnt necessarily a bad thing. It amazes me that killing wave after wave of zombies is still fun!

CUDCUD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 CUDCUD
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts

Well i have the censored Australian demo so it kind stank, i havent played the first one but this censored version ruined it. As soon as i killed a zombie it disappeared and there was no dismemberment. If i do get this game i'll probably import it.

istreakforfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 istreakforfood

Well i have the censored Australian demo so it kind stank, i havent played the first one but this censored version ruined it. As soon as i killed a zombie it disappeared and there was no dismemberment. If i do get this game i'll probably import it.

CUDCUD

Dude that sucks. Won't be able to enjoy it the way it is supposed to be played with censorship. There are occasions when the zombies still come after you after blowing away their arms.

YoungSinatra25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 YoungSinatra25
Member since 2009 • 4314 Posts

"No need to make part 2 drastically different, overall 2 is better."

imperial_agent
This... Also L4D had no background so I don't understand peoples attachment to the previous characters... I'm a southerner, I likes.
lilasianwonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lilasianwonder
Member since 2007 • 5982 Posts
I thought it was pretty good. It was kinda cool seeing the witch walk around.
nate_c-12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 nate_c-12
Member since 2008 • 3072 Posts
I knew I wasn't going to buy the game or anything but I was hoping for at least 5 mins. of entertainment.
FunkyHeadHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FunkyHeadHunter

I knew I wasn't going to buy the game or anything but I was hoping for at least 5 mins. of entertainment.nate_c-12

You want more then 5min of fun? GO back and play it a few more times. I have already played single player about 13 times now. I love L4D just for my zombie killing fun..

Keving7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 Keving7
Member since 2005 • 1028 Posts

speedfreak48t5p
buy the 1st one. it will be cheaper and if they are so similar it's not much of an upgrade (im still buying left for dead 2 though)
MaddenBowler10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 1

#41 MaddenBowler10
Member since 2005 • 8999 Posts
not one mention of the new melee weapons??
a55a55inx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#42 a55a55inx
Member since 2004 • 4188 Posts

There's new characters, new maps, more weapons/items, more variety in enemies, slightly better graphics. What else do you expect from a sequal? I don't know how you can be dissapointed with this game when it was developed within a year. I mean, did you expect a complete overhaul?

RRutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 RRutter
Member since 2008 • 40 Posts
Then you should quit playing the demo, go buy the first, play that campaign on every difficulty a couple hundred times (that's at least what I did) and then get to L4D2.
tpeezy4sheezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 tpeezy4sheezy
Member since 2009 • 85 Posts

I loved the first left 4 dead but the demo to me was kinda a let down. Now I know it was just a demo, but the game was really really laggy, and it just didnt seem right, I cant really explain it maybe it was the lag but when I would shoot the guns just didnt feel right to me for some reason. Also it could have been the new daytime levels that im not used to. Also I saw alot of glitches and bugs when I played like killing a guy, and having his body bouncing off the ground 6 feet into the air for 30 seconds lol. Im gonna give them a pass since it was just a demo and I really hope they fix it cuz I am soooo excited for it and Im def still gonna buy it, but I give the demo a 7.5-10

Weredawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Weredawg
Member since 2003 • 90 Posts
I'm enjoying the single player, but I want to play the MP, but the lag is really killing it for me right now. I'll wait for the reviews before I buy
gamer_96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#46 gamer_96
Member since 2009 • 589 Posts

I expect more better than first one

thebaronmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47 thebaronmoo
Member since 2007 • 246 Posts

i love it. my favorite characters are coach and ellis, both pretty awesome. the machete is absolutely amazing against a horde of zombies. i like the pc version better but i probably will be getting it.