Just got an Xbox 360, I have some noob questions.....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dtno132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 dtno132
Member since 2008 • 1662 Posts

Hey everyone, so I got an Xbox 360 Arcade today and I've been wondering, is there a chance I could get the RROD, or did Microsoft fix that? if they didn't then how can I avoid getting it?

Oh and, how do I connect to the Internet? Wi-fi? or do I use some kind of cord... thing...?

Well these are the questions lol, is there anything else I need to know about the 360? Sorry for being a noob. :P

nate_c-12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 nate_c-12
Member since 2008 • 3072 Posts
You need a hard drive to connect to live; don't leave your xbox on for extended periods of time to avoid stress on the system and try and install all your games to the hard drive. The RROD is not as common as it once was because ms has released gpu's that take less power but it can still happen. You need either a wireless network adapter or you need to buy a ethernet cable to connect your router to your xbox.
SnipinSidewayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SnipinSidewayz
Member since 2010 • 68 Posts

The RROD is possible but microsoft has made it less likley over the years. If you want to connect to live you will need to pay for a monthly subscription need a hard drive (not sure about therhard drive part)and a network adapter for wifi/or a ethernet cord... Wifi adapter http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wireless-Network-Adapter-Networks/dp/B002RS7NB2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1281290271&sr=8-2ethernet cable http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Internet-Connect-Cable/dp/B000S6SHWY/ref=sr_1_4?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1281290438&sr=1-4Hard drive http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-250GB-Hard-Drive/dp/B003C1VPEYxbox 360 live card (you can buy in year form or 3 month form) http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Month-Live-Gold-Card/dp/B0029LJIFG/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1281290674&sr=1-1Sorry if this is advertising.

dtno132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 dtno132
Member since 2008 • 1662 Posts
Thanks for the quick answers, so I just need an ethernet cable to connect it to the internet... Oh and about the subscription, are there any country limitations for that? Or can you join from anywhere?
sizzlingdviper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 sizzlingdviper
Member since 2004 • 1818 Posts

Hey everyone, so I got an Xbox 360 Arcade today and I've been wondering, is there a chance I could get the RROD, or did Microsoft fix that? if they didn't then how can I avoid getting it?

Oh and, how do I connect to the Internet? Wi-fi? or do I use some kind of cord... thing...?

Well these are the questions lol, is there anything else I need to know about the 360? Sorry for being a noob. :P

dtno132

Easiest way to connect+cheapest is with an ethernet cable.

RROD is most likely in older 360s,but still possible with even the newest.

Look at underside of your power brick-if it says output 150 watts then you've got yourself a newer and better Jasper chipset Arcade which is cooler and quieter running and so less likely to RROD.

sizzlingdviper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 sizzlingdviper
Member since 2004 • 1818 Posts

You need a hard drive to connect to live; don't leave your xbox on for extended periods of time to avoid stress on the system and try and install all your games to the hard drive. The RROD is not as common as it once was because ms has released gpu's that take less power but it can still happen. You need either a wireless network adapter or you need to buy a ethernet cable to connect your router to your xbox. nate_c-12

No-You can still connect up to LIVe without a hard drive-My Arcade has 256mb onboard memory and connects up to Live no probs-and did various updates ysday.

The only thing is obviously is that you cant download much stuff like demos and videos until you add a hard drive cos there aint enough space on 256mb.

TOC48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 TOC48
Member since 2008 • 637 Posts
I recommend a hard drive to play live and games. You will need a cord unless you picked up new black arcade (they have wifi). The RROD problem has been decreased significantly but can still happen. You would probably want to download games to hard drive as well because, in my honest opinion, you have a bigger chance of your disc drive crapping out on you than your box overheating.
MisterEditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MisterEditor
Member since 2010 • 185 Posts

A cable works fine for live (don't need a hard drive), but unless your router is close to your console it's not a long-term solution.

gangstarapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gangstarapper
Member since 2003 • 105 Posts

Hey I also just got an xbox arcade yesterday and had a question I just want to ask real quick, does the xbox 360support external hard drives for music etc. ? Because it doesn't seem to recognize my 1.5 TB Iomega harddrive.

P.S. As I said I just got my xbox and my friendslist looks kind of empty compared to my ps3's friendslist, its sad really :PsoIf you want you can add me GT: Souffe

Avatar image for pokemondude2012
pokemondude2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 pokemondude2012
Member since 2010 • 5938 Posts
you can get the rrod you need to plug an ethernet cable to connect it to the net but you need a xbl gold card for live dont use it for too long at one time and if you have a external fan on it make sure it is on. i can melt to the baqck of the 360 and the warently wont cover it so good luck
MazehcS0ul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 MazehcS0ul
Member since 2009 • 1773 Posts

You have the Xbox 360 acarde? Not the slim what model or motherboard is it. JasperI hope.

Avatar image for YankeesNYC4life
YankeesNYC4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 YankeesNYC4life
Member since 2010 • 235 Posts
There is a chance, especially since you got the arcade and you have no gigs to install he games onto. you see, when you install your games to the hard drive it makes the system not work as hard as the game isnt spinning, but when the games arent installed this causes the system to work harder and overheat which causes red rings. You should pick up a used hard drive.