jaggies in HD???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Walker34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Walker34
Member since 2005 • 1471 Posts

I just got an HD TV. It's not huge or anything but it's a nice panasonic. I've been playing my 360 on my 24 inch lcd computer monitor for years through vga and then hdmi to the dvi jack in the back. Never had any issues with jaggies. I put it on my hdtv and thought it would look better but it doesn't. noticeable antialising problems and jaggies on certain borders and objects. I have it currently hooked through hdmi.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

Make sure its set for HD in the console settings. When plugging it in, it defaults to 480i.

Walker34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Walker34

yeah i have it hooked through hdmi so it only allows hd. I've tried both 720 and 1080i. does it have something to do with the scaler in my tv?

revofanboy2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 revofanboy2005
Member since 2005 • 364 Posts

Yeah dude, I've got kind of the same problem with my 360 and my TV. There's usually an accepted amount of jaggieswhen you're playing consoles though, no antialiasing :(

Hotwire246

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Hotwire246
Member since 2004 • 848 Posts
Yeah its not a problem with the TV, Jaggies are just really noticeable in HD. Hopefully the next gen consoles have 4x AA as standard because it would make everything look alot better.
RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

IDK but I use HDMI, and I dont notice any severe jaggies. I mean sure there are some, but every 3D game has some no matter what resolution you play at.

judog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#7 judog1
Member since 2005 • 24657 Posts
Is every game giving you this problem?
Beanoooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Beanoooo
Member since 2007 • 271 Posts

I noticed this especially in GTA.

Only suggestion I have is make sure your not too close to the TV. Sometimes the game just has those jagged lines in it.

Walker34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Walker34

Is every game giving you this problem?judog1

yeah pretty much. i'm wondering if it has something to do with the way the tv is scaling. Maybe if i use the component jacks instead of hdmi for example? unfortunately the tv doesnt have vga or dvi inputs that i know of. It seems like it should be pretty straight forward and its not like the tv has a bunch of settings i can mess with.

Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#10 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

some games just look better than others.. companies selling H.D.T.V's are promising perfection.. nothing is perfect..

just pay extra for an L.C.D..The picture quallity out does a plasma, hence the expence.

quijeros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 quijeros
Member since 2008 • 1728 Posts

Only suggestion I have is make sure your not too close to the TV. Sometimes the game just has those jagged lines in it.

Beanoooo

GTA IV has absolutely no AA support, even on PC (considering it was a console port)

The larger the screen, the more noticeable the jaggies will be. Keep in mind that 1080i is just a different name for 1440x1080 resolution.

Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts

[QUOTE="judog1"]Is every game giving you this problem?Walker34

yeah pretty much. i'm wondering if it has something to do with the way the tv is scaling. Maybe if i use the component jacks instead of hdmi for example? unfortunately the tv doesnt have vga or dvi inputs that i know of. It seems like it should be pretty straight forward and its not like the tv has a bunch of settings i can mess with.

Do you by chance have the tv model = TC-L26X1? If you do it would be on the side with the on button at the top (saying model number). It is the tv i have and i noticed hardcore AA (jaggies) problems in Halo 3, but when i sit further back i don't see them almost at all. Of course i don't know if the game has AA, but i do not remember seeing so many jaggies before (however my tv wasn't true widescreen ro it used the black bars and made the image much smaller... harder to see). But yeah quite a few games dont actually use AA on consoles because of how much of a hit performance takes with it on. Now i do notice on my tv (which is an Panasonic) that many games sort of ghost or have a delay in the image moving making a 2nd soft image following... i.e. a blurring effect. It doesn't happen in all games and in some games only happens during certain times (It only happens in Halo 3 when watching a film..... not quite sure why). Now i do know games have blur, but this ghosting blur hurts my brain (and i have played Shadowrun with maxed blur.... that had no affect on my brain).
frankeyser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#13 frankeyser
Member since 2004 • 5667 Posts

some games just look better than others.. companies selling H.D.T.V's are promising perfection.. nothing is perfect..

just pay extra for an L.C.D..The picture quallity out does a plasma, hence the expence.

DecadesOfGaming

Betterrefresh rate, better colors, better contrast on plasma? The only thing LCDs are better at are they weigh less and take up less power.

Panasonic is the new leader in plasma tech since pioneer stopped producing them. (kuro I miss you! best gaming and movie tv ever!) I do not know what panasonic you purchased. I currently game on a samsung 42 lcd in the living room and a tcp50g10 in my game room. The g10 and v10 pannys are in the top 5 best rated tvs currently so you really can't go wrong with them. If you have one of those models then it is just the normal jaggies you are seeing. You may want to check if you have your sharpness set to high. Pannys 0 point if 50 when it comes to sharpness.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#14 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

PC monitors>HDTVs IMO.

mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 mimic-Denmark
Member since 2006 • 4382 Posts

Thats why I cant for the life of me see how anyone can say Forza 3 or GTA 4 looks good! Whats good in looking at a car with jaggies all over it?

No matter what the new effects or engine they use, but if the picture is just riddled with jaggies, then its not very pretty.

Thats like taking a nice looking cake, and then spray it with ketchup!

Id take less details anyday if they added 16x anti aliasing :)

Hotwire246

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Hotwire246
Member since 2004 • 848 Posts
[QUOTE="quijeros"]

[QUOTE="Beanoooo"]

GTA IV has absolutely no AA support, even on PC (considering it was a console port)

The larger the screen, the more noticeable the jaggies will be. Keep in mind that 1080i is just a different name for 1440x1080 resolution.

No its not... If that was the case then when you used 1080i your picture would get squashed. Its 1920x1080, just interlaced (meaning it refreshes every OTHER line each time, so at 60hz it refreshes each line 30 times a second, whereas on 1080p it would refresh each line 60 times per second.)
Hizakii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Hizakii
Member since 2009 • 168 Posts
Since we on this topic, anybody heard of the new led tvs and their clarity with hd gaming?
hyghwayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hyghwayman
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Here is the TV I use for my gaming addiction, Sony KD34XBR970

My gaming TV

It has the best blacks, and no lag.

Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#19 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

Frankeyser...

I had a 42" Samsung plasma, but got absolutely fed up with having to scroll the T.V every time after gaming, (just to get rid of burn-in).. After one month the burn-in was so bad (unremovable) that I took it back to the shop and exchanged it for a series 7 40" L.C.D (even though it was £200. more).. The picture quallity is certainly an improvement.