Is the Xbox 360 maxed out visually?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DillonShwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 DillonShwing
Member since 2010 • 565 Posts

I kinda think it is. I dont really think that we are gonna see games that look a whole lot better on the 360 than what we have now. What do you guys think?

xGlenn11x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

User Lists: -3

#2 xGlenn11x
Member since 2009 • 443 Posts

I agree but disagree as well. I just think we could see updates at least, or maybe a new console that allows for games to include more details, larger worlds, better physics, etc. But other than that, maybe just more innovations like Kinect will come out. Either way, I like where the graphics are right now.

SpArKs424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SpArKs424
Member since 2010 • 2203 Posts

Na its not Maxed out just Yet we still have Gears 3 which looks way better than Gears 2 from what ive seen at Comic con . plus if it was Maxed out Microsoft would Start talking of a new system. i id say the Wii is maxed Out before 360.

Avatar image for ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ
ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ
Member since 2007 • 1987 Posts

No, look at previews of RAGE the game being made by ID software. Has better frame rates and better graphics. Much better than the unreal engine that everything is being ran on right now.

Karnage108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Karnage108
Member since 2010 • 2595 Posts

No, look at previews of RAGE the game being made by ID software. Has better frame rates and better graphics. Much better than the unreal engine that everything is being ran on right now.

ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ
This, and Crysis 2.
nate_c-12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 nate_c-12
Member since 2008 • 3072 Posts
[QUOTE="ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ"]

Karnage108
This, and Crysis 2.

Yea these games will be great but even the new call of duty will have great visuals with treyarch's texture streaming tech that allows for bigger expanses and no pop in.
BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BLAS1AN
Member since 2003 • 3508 Posts

with newer engines being developed I dont think its maxed out.

Avatar image for the_16th_knight
the_16th_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 the_16th_knight
Member since 2010 • 34 Posts
I think it can still be improved upon. I think new developers technology could make it shine more. Look at the "God of War" on the ps2 when it came out, it just blew everyone away on the ps2's potential. I think they can always squeeze more performance out of all the systems if they tried harder.
somegtalover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 somegtalover
Member since 2007 • 2700 Posts

just depends how good they are at optimizing it. most games ARE MAXED OUT because their PC counterparts Look MUCH MUCH better. GTA IV for example is on about medium settings but on my pc I can have alot more details maxxing it

ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

just depends how good they are at optimizing it. most games ARE MAXED OUT because their PC counterparts Look MUCH MUCH better. GTA IV for example is on about medium settings but on my pc I can have alot more details maxxing it

somegtalover

Hmm maybe because your graphics card is better than the xbox 360s? This statement has nothing to do with the graphics engines that are in the works right now that will blow GTA 4 graphics out of the water...

Avatar image for pokemondude2012
pokemondude2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 pokemondude2012
Member since 2010 • 5938 Posts
i agree kinda sorta.
TheTacoDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheTacoDuck
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

no i disagree completely.

console limitations aren't the problem. graphics are getting better and better in games. and they will continue to get better. its all in the game.

remember DVD may not be blu-ray, but they can support real life graphics (like actual DVD movies lol) so I think they will only stop progressing once games look exactly like real life.

also, graphics themselves aren't the only factor, its game detail aswell. Making landscaping and little items like a piece paper with as much detail as main items, a game will be waaay more visually appealing.

johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 johny300
Member since 2010 • 12496 Posts
The 360 is going reached its limits with gears 3.
johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 johny300
And it also depends on the engine also, but epic games said they will reach the 360 limit with the gears 3.
ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

And it also depends on the engine also, but epic games said they will reach the 360 limit with the gears 3.johny300

Maybe they have reached the limits with the unreal engine but the new engines coming out for RAGE and for crysis 2 already show better frame rates and graphics than any gears game.

johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 johny300

[QUOTE="johny300"]And it also depends on the engine also, but epic games said they will reach the 360 limit with the gears 3.ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

Maybe they have reached the limits with the unreal engine but the new engines coming out for RAGE and for crysis 2 already show better frame rates and graphics than any gears game.

Bathseda said they are not planning to let anyone use there new engine for RAGE and BRINK. btw they look amazing.
ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

[QUOTE="johny300"]And it also depends on the engine also, but epic games said they will reach the 360 limit with the gears 3.johny300

Bathseda said they are not planning to let anyone use there new engine for RAGE and BRINK. btw they look amazing.

Right i do agree that only bethesda will be using the new ID engine and i am sure that the crysis engine will most likely not be up for grabs either. I was just saying that epic games making the statement that they have maxed out the xbox 360 doesnt really mean that. I really think what they had meant is they maxed out the 360 using their engine while other engines being made could be better frame rate wise and graphically.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#20 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Rage, Gears of War 3, and Crysis 2 are pretty much the best of the best of what we'll be seeing in the next couple of years. Anything after that wouldn't matter much would it? Those three games look AMAZING. If you want "better" graphics than that, I would wait for next gen consoles or build a gaming PC for more AA and AF.. not saying it would look better for you but you know.. I would base the graphics of the 360 in the near future off of those three games, for now.. :)
johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 johny300

[QUOTE="johny300"][QUOTE="ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ"]

ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

Right i do agree that only bethesda will be using the new ID engine and i am sure that the crysis engine will most likely not be up for grabs either. I was just saying that epic games making the statement that they have maxed out the xbox 360 doesnt really mean that. I really think what they had meant is they maxed out the 360 using their engine while other engines being made could be better frame rate wise and graphically.

Yeah the engine not the consle but no one knows what the 360 is capable yet.
Gonnzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gonnzzo
Member since 2010 • 124 Posts

ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ
This. Rage looks the stuff.
shaunchgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 shaunchgo
Member since 2006 • 4605 Posts
I'll wait for Crysis 2 to make a judgement. I wonder if the 360 can handle it.
penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts
Dont really think the consoles graphics capability is maxed out yet, theres clearly a lot of processing power to use as evidencent by the step up in graphics we see every year. The only reason I can see a problem developing in the department though is the capacity of DVD. In the last year or two the graphics of games has gone up and up as usual but theres an increasing amount of games that have been digging into 2, 3 and occasionally even 4 discs where as the ps3 version of these games hasnt even filled 1 disc yet. I mean final fantasy is a good example, on the ps3 I think its only one blu-ray disc, on the 360 its 3 dvds ... DVD's are cheap I suppose so the cost may not be a problem but it does still make things more awkward and 8 times out of ten a dev is going to find it easier to stick a large game on 1 disc than they are on multiple discs.
zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

It's really hard to see the maxed visual performance of a system these days because everything looks nice. It's really hard to tell the difference between a 360 and pc version of a game. The only difference being the games tend to run much better on the 360. I only believe we can push better visuals by limiting the number of things going on in the game. For example if we made a shadow of collossus like game on the 360.

basically what I am saying is that 360 games and pc look almost the same and haven't really made a huge jump in visuals from each other. This means it all depends on how a game is made and what tricks they use to make the visuals really stand out. For example they could make a game and limit the number of things going on in the game and it could have better visuals then any pc game out but could easily be done on pc.

somegtalover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 somegtalover

It's really hard to see the maxed visual performance of a system these days because everything looks nice. It's really hard to tell the difference between a 360 and pc version of a game. The only difference being the games tend to run much better on the 360. I only believe we can push better visuals by limiting the number of things going on in the game. For example if we made a shadow of collossus like game on the 360.

basically what I am saying is that 360 games and pc look almost the same and haven't really made a huge jump in visuals from each other. This means it all depends on how a game is made and what tricks they use to make the visuals really stand out. For example they could make a game and limit the number of things going on in the game and it could have better visuals then any pc game out but could easily be done on pc.

zaku101
you sir, are very wrong
-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
if its not its gotta be pretty damn close, im fine with it tho, they are and can still make some awesome games for years to come
awesomejdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 awesomejdude
Member since 2008 • 4811 Posts

They may be able to reach the hardware's limit, but they can always develop engines that do so in a better and more impressive manner. I think we'll see improving graphics for quite a while.

penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 penpusher

zaku101
ive think you misunderstand slightly ... with games that are on both the 360 and pc most of the time the game is designed with priority towards working on the 360 first and then on the pc owing to the fact that the 360 cant handle what a high end pc could. There are many games out there on pc that the 360 or even ps3 could never hope to manage in their native form. Its a simple fact of gaming that the pc's ability to be upgraded all the time will mean they always outpace consoles
ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

[QUOTE="zaku101"]

penpusher

ive think you misunderstand slightly ... with games that are on both the 360 and pc most of the time the game is designed with priority towards working on the 360 first and then on the pc owing to the fact that the 360 cant handle what a high end pc could. There are many games out there on pc that the 360 or even ps3 could never hope to manage in their native form. Its a simple fact of gaming that the pc's ability to be upgraded all the time will mean they always outpace consoles

Indeed PC processor speeds, memory, and graphics cards can all surpass consoles quite easily. As far as "better looking graphics i would say it depends on the game if you compared gta 4 on the PC to a newer game being released, you know what i mean.

penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 penpusher

[QUOTE="penpusher"][QUOTE="zaku101"]

ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

Indeed PC processor speeds, memory, and graphics cards can all surpass consoles quite easily. As far as "better looking graphics i would say it depends on the game if you compared gta 4 on the PC to a newer game being released, you know what i mean.

nope dont know how your point is any different to the last dudes, gta 4 was originally a console game after all...And yes it does depend on the game but the hardware means that most developers will make games that blast anything a console can do to bits
ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

[QUOTE="penpusher"] ive think you misunderstand slightly ... with games that are on both the 360 and pc most of the time the game is designed with priority towards working on the 360 first and then on the pc owing to the fact that the 360 cant handle what a high end pc could. There are many games out there on pc that the 360 or even ps3 could never hope to manage in their native form. Its a simple fact of gaming that the pc's ability to be upgraded all the time will mean they always outpace consolespenpusher

nope dont know how your point is any different to the last dudes, gta 4 was originally a console game after all...And yes it does depend on the game but the hardware means that most developers will make games that blast anything a console can do to bits

I am saying gta 4 looks better on a PC because you can raise the graphics past the xbox 360s. Which is what i stated the processor, memory, and graphics cards in PCs are goingto be better then that of the 360s becaue it came out years ago. If you played gta 4 on max settings on a pc now however and compared it to games coming out soon the console version of newer games would be GTA 4. So obviously games graphics on the console are getting better.

somegtalover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 somegtalover

[QUOTE="penpusher"][QUOTE="ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ"]

ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

I am saying gta 4 looks better on a PC because you can raise the graphics past the xbox 360s. Which is what i stated the processor, memory, and graphics cards in PCs are goingto be better then that of the 360s becaue it came out years ago. If you played gta 4 on max settings on a pc now however and compared it to games coming out soon the console version of newer games would be GTA 4. So obviously games graphics on the console are getting better.

i guarantee you GTA IV maxed on the PC will look much better than reach, rage, even crysis 2 on consoles but not coming close to the pc versions of those games. You dont really understand how it has alot more going on graphically intense. and btw all those games coming out look terrible on consoles! here goes a little desciptiona german website said when they saw crysis on xbox. "Crysis 2 was a flicker fest that failed to impress with its rough shadows, blocky fog effects, blurry textures and pre-calculated physics animations." And this isnt the first console game that has this pretty much all of them do. Play red dead redemption for the PS3 you watch youtube videos and the game looks fine. You play it on your big HD TV and soon realize how low the resolution is and no AA its just looks awfull.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

I hope game makers focus less on making the game look real and more on style and keep graphical error as low as they can.