Is Modern Warfare 2 part of the Call of Duty series?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RAW_5234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RAW_5234
Member since 2007 • 49 Posts

I thought they took Call of Duty out of the name. Did they put it back and if they did, why?

BlueCoopsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 BlueCoopsy
Member since 2008 • 996 Posts

No, they added the Call of Duty name back.

So I assume it is part of the COD series

Why? Well I am not completely sure, sales perhaps

gow117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gow117
Member since 2008 • 2963 Posts
I think there was made some questions if people knew what "Modern warfare2" was and a big percentage didnt knew it was related to "call of duty", something like that. I think they put it back cuz of the sales, yeah.They wanted to have their "own" game, away from cod, making it a sequel to the first Modern warfare but i guess sales spoke higher.. Smart move nonetheless
bios101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bios101
Member since 2009 • 273 Posts

Oh my gosh. Another one of these discussions? When a game has the name "Call of Duty" in it, then its a call of duty game. Thats it.

I like the Dynasty Warriors games. But i don't like the Dynasty Warriors Empire games, because it's a whole other system i can't get in to. Does that mean Dynasty Warriors empire games aren't "true" Dynasty Warriors games and don't deserve that name, just because they're different?

Every Final Fantasy game takes place in a whole other universe/world, with different battle systems, characters, monsters and so on. Does that mean for example Final Fantasy 12 isn't a "true" Final Fantasy game, because its not round based anymore?

I hear the same discussion about Fallout 3 not being a "true" Fallout game, just because its not made by the same producers.

If you're saying a game doesn't deserve a specific name then you can argue like that about movies, cars, clothes or bubblegum. Saying Modern Warfare isn't a Call of Duty game, although it HAS the name "Call of Duty" in it, just because it's different is a weak excuse for not liking significant changes.

furqan2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 furqan2006
Member since 2006 • 384 Posts
actually yea it is, if u go to my blog and watch the unboxing of special edition under videos, it had call of duty logo on top on the 'Modern Warfare 2'. its kinda small compare to the ones on the previous call of duty games.
RAW_5234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RAW_5234
Member since 2007 • 49 Posts
[QUOTE="bios101"]

Oh my gosh. Another one of these discussions? When a game has the name "Call of Duty" in it, then its a call of duty game. Thats it.

I like the Dynasty Warriors games. But i don't like the Dynasty Warriors Empire games, because it's a whole other system i can't get in to. Does that mean Dynasty Warriors empire games aren't "true" Dynasty Warriors games and don't deserve that name, just because they're different?

Every Final Fantasy game takes place in a whole other universe/world, with different battle systems, characters, monsters and so on. Does that mean for example Final Fantasy 12 isn't a "true" Final Fantasy game, because its not round based anymore?

I hear the same discussion about Fallout 3 not being a "true" Fallout game, just because its not made by the same producers.

If you're saying a game doesn't deserve a specific name then you can argue like that about movies, cars, clothes or bubblegum. Saying Modern Warfare isn't a Call of Duty game, although it HAS the name "Call of Duty" in it, just because it's different is a weak excuse for not liking significant changes.

I know if it had Call of Duty in it, its a Call of Duty game. I was asking because I know that they took the CoD out of it at one point and wasnt sure if they put it back in or not and why.
bios101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bios101
Member since 2009 • 273 Posts

I don't know about a missing "Call of Duty" in advertisements. Maybe, but i don't think they did that because they wanted to veer away from the series.

valttu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 valttu
Member since 2007 • 1420 Posts

Dudes of course it's Call of Duty. It should always be! I hope Infinity Ward never forgets what gaming series they're doing, and that the Call of Duty series will live on for many games to come!

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
apparently they re-tagged it, im guessing because CoD is such a brand name and too many people were getting confused on what to actually call it haha
CNUrGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CNUrGames
Member since 2005 • 1867 Posts
They took CoD off originally to put emphasis on the continuation of the story from MW to MW2. They put it back on to increase brand recognition amongst consumers to increase how much people knew about the game. /thread
Avatar image for deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
Member since 2007 • 11536 Posts

right now it is call of duty: modern warfare 2:)

Next-Gen-Tec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Next-Gen-Tec
Member since 2009 • 4623 Posts
Reason COD4 was successful had a lot to do with the Modern Warfare part. Reason COD WAW was successful was because of COD4. In short, MW2 is the better name.
InsaneGamer323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 InsaneGamer323
Member since 2009 • 80 Posts

I thought they took Call of Duty out of the name. Did they put it back and if they did, why?

RAW_5234

yes but its involved with activision in some complicated way

atm0073

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 atm0073
Member since 2005 • 3069 Posts
Yes, it is. "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2" or "Modern Warfare 2", the game is definitely part of the Call of Duty series. The fact that it is a sequel to Call of Duty 4 alone renders it a part of the series.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#15 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
Even if Infinity Ward honestly considered it to be outside the Call of Duty series, come on. It was a direct sequel to Call of Duty 4. It's Call of Duty to me weather it be in the title or not. And now that it's back the title it just makes it official.
Orgymang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Orgymang
Member since 2003 • 314 Posts

My thought is that originally they decided to drop "Call of Duty" from the title because they felt maybe people were tired of them milking the series with a new game every year but then they thought they might lose some money on the game because some may not know that the game is a sequel to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts
i dont care i want warfare2 now
Getix-01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#18 Getix-01
Member since 2007 • 454 Posts

NO, infinty ward wanted to create a spin off series, or give modern warfare it own franchise. But its still the direct sequel to modern warfare 1

S3XYT1M3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 S3XYT1M3
Member since 2009 • 834 Posts

Yes, look at the box.

shawn7324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#20 shawn7324
Member since 2006 • 8690 Posts

Apparently some company or something did a survery & their results showed that consumer awareness of Modern Warfare 2 was significantly lower without the COD in front of it. A couple days after those results were released they put it back to COD MW 2. There was an article about this posted here on Gamespot, do a little searching & you should be able to find it.

Check it out here:

http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/211010/modern-warfare-2-50-less-awareness-without-call-of-duty-title/

CNUrGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 CNUrGames
Member since 2005 • 1867 Posts
[QUOTE="shawn7324"]

Apparently some company or something did a survery & their results showed that consumer awareness of Modern Warfare 2 was significantly lower without the COD in front of it. A couple days after those results were released they put it back to COD MW 2. There was an article about this posted here on Gamespot, do a little searching & you should be able to find it.

Check it out here:

http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/211010/modern-warfare-2-50-less-awareness-without-call-of-duty-title/

This is what I was citing