Is it normal for an Xbox to do this?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for ChampionoChumps
ChampionoChumps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ChampionoChumps
Member since 2008 • 2381 Posts

I just bought a refurbished Xbox after not having one for 2 years. It runs fine but when I turn it off sometimes it sounds like it is still running and then the light on the button goes back on then it turns off after that and the light goes off. Is there any harm to this? Also is there anyway to make the Xbox not autoplay the disc in the Xbox and is there a way for me to autosign in? Thanks for the help.

MrMe1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MrMe1000
Member since 2007 • 2215 Posts
I have a new 360 slim and it stays on after turning it off, I'm sure it does that to help the system cool off. To stop the disk from autoloading and to sign in automatically check your system settings and you'll find it somewhere in there.
Blicen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Blicen
Member since 2003 • 1810 Posts

It usually only stays on if its actively charging any peripherals you may have attached to the unit still, or if you're actively downloading anything in the backround, It is NOT due to the fact that its trying to cool the unit off, there is nothing to cool anymore if there isn't anything actively being used with the hardware.

ChampionoChumps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ChampionoChumps
Sweet, also is there anyway to change mic sensitivity? because I have to talk really loud when I play with this new mic (hate the new design by the way)
Blicen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Blicen
Member since 2003 • 1810 Posts
As far as I know, you can only adjust mic sensitivity for LIVE games on PC I believe, I don't think you can adjust it on a standard 360 mic.
Bluski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Bluski
Member since 2011 • 322 Posts

That means background downloads is turned on. What it does it check your system to see if it is in the middle of downloading something into your hard drive. That can be demos, videos, or any downloadable content. I have mine off because I don't download much, you can go to system settings and look in shutdown options and set background downloads off

Bluski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Bluski
Member since 2011 • 322 Posts

I'd also check auto start in the console settings to turn off auto play game disc

ChampionoChumps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ChampionoChumps

That means background downloads is turned on. What it does it check your system to see if it is in the middle of downloading something into your hard drive. That can be demos, videos, or any downloadable content. I have mine off because I don't download much, you can go to system settings and look in shutdown options and set background downloads off

Bluski
Did yours flash the green light once also? My main query is if this is harmless or not :lol: don't want it to crap out on me on the 31st day.
cthecoffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 cthecoffee
Member since 2003 • 1432 Posts
i learned the hard way never to buy refurbished, there life span after i pick them up is never long, went through 3 of em, its better to just pick up used ones or if your got the cash just get it new
ChampionoChumps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ChampionoChumps
I think it may be just be preowned idk really. I bought it from gamestop for $150.
MrMe1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MrMe1000
Member since 2007 • 2215 Posts

It usually only stays on if its actively charging any peripherals you may have attached to the unit still, or if you're actively downloading anything in the backround, It is NOT due to the fact that its trying to cool the unit off, there is nothing to cool anymore if there isn't anything actively being used with the hardware.

Blicen
sure it is it cools it off
gamerfreak1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gamerfreak1991
Member since 2005 • 2501 Posts
[QUOTE="Bluski"]

ChampionoChumps
Did yours flash the green light once also? My main query is if this is harmless or not :lol: don't want it to crap out on me on the 31st day.

It's normal for the green light to flash once if you have background downloads turned on, when the system is powered down it takes 15 seconds or so to check to see if any downloads are in the queue and if not it powers off completely. You have nothing to worry about, just turn off background downloads if it really bothers you.
ChampionoChumps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ChampionoChumps
[QUOTE="ChampionoChumps"][QUOTE="Bluski"]

gamerfreak1991

It's normal for the green light to flash once if you have background downloads turned on, when the system is powered down it takes 15 seconds or so to check to see if any downloads are in the queue and if not it powers off completely. You have nothing to worry about, just turn off background downloads if it really bothers you.

Oh, sweet. Glad I have nothing to worry about (yet :lol: )
BostonDieNasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BostonDieNasty
Member since 2008 • 742 Posts

I just bought a refurbished Xbox after not having one for 2 years. It runs fine but when I turn it off sometimes it sounds like it is still running and then the light on the button goes back on then it turns off after that and the light goes off. Is there any harm to this? Also is there anyway to make the Xbox not autoplay the disc in the Xbox and is there a way for me to autosign in? Thanks for the help.

ChampionoChumps
i got a slim about 4 months ago and mine does tht every once in a while
Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts

Ohh LOL mine does this!! don't worry, I got my new Xbox (only because I wanted my own, I used to share) almost exactly 3 years ago now, and only recently (well,maybe like half a year ago)I noticed it flashing after I turned it off. I seem to have like OCD or something and I have to stare at the light to make sure it's turned off), almost like when you have to make sure a door is locked :lol:. But yeah, mine flashes about 3 times too. Don't worry about it :).

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#16 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

yeah mine does that too. it rarely stays on very long if I dont have any background downloads going.

green_abobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 green_abobo
Member since 2008 • 1287 Posts
you change change microphone volumes (and whether or not they come through the headphones/speakers, or both) from the guide button on your controller, under profile i believe.
SonicX_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SonicX_89
Member since 2008 • 573 Posts

That behavior is pretty much normal for me, and it has been for a long time now.