Is Final Fantasy XI a good MMO to start with???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lazy8um87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 lazy8um87
Member since 2007 • 219 Posts

Ive never played any kind of mmo and i am not really into rpgs but i want 2 try anmmo to see what the big deal is.

So is FFXI a good mmo to start with and by the way the only rpg ive ever played is Oblivion.

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts
It's okay. Certainly not near the quality you'll pull out of WoW. I would go for WoW first...
deuceswld84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 deuceswld84
Member since 2004 • 691 Posts
If you have a good PC, get Guild Wars. No monthly fee and its pretty easy to pick up and play.
lazy8um87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lazy8um87

well ive thought of getting WoW but i want a system MMO.

The only one so far that i actually want is Huxley but its taking forever to come out.

akkirei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 akkirei
Member since 2007 • 50 Posts

If you have a good PC, get Guild Wars. No monthly fee and its pretty easy to pick up and play.deuceswld84

listen to this guy, specially if it is your very first mmo. guild wars will let you get the idea of how they work and no monthly fee so you can quit anytime. if you're dead set on pay-2-play mmo then you'll get the most for your buck from WoW undoubtedly

lazy8um87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lazy8um87

[QUOTE="deuceswld84"]If you have a good PC, get Guild Wars. No monthly fee and its pretty easy to pick up and play.akkirei

listen to this guy, specially if it is your very first mmo. guild wars will let you get the idea of how they work and no monthly fee so you can quit anytime. if you're dead set on pay-2-play mmo then you'll get the most for your buck from WoW undoubtedly

But is FFXI good as a console MMO

deuceswld84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deuceswld84
[QUOTE="akkirei"]

[QUOTE="deuceswld84"]If you have a good PC, get Guild Wars. No monthly fee and its pretty easy to pick up and play.lazy8um87

But is FFXI good as a console MMO

For the PS2 it was ok. Its not that great for the 360 though. But its only 20 bucks with 2 expansions for the 360 version. I have no idea what the monthly fee is but you get one month free. So the only thing you have to lose is 20 bucks.

You should go to the FFXI forums and ask around there you may get better replies if anyone still posts there.

dunit13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dunit13
Member since 2006 • 1103 Posts
I think that FFXI is like 10 bucks a month and I hear that you shouldn't get to deeply into it unless you can speak a decent amount of japanese because most americans would just rather play WoW or Guild Wars.
Blicen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Blicen
Member since 2003 • 1810 Posts

FFXI is a great MMO, provided that you can play 8 hours a day. The monthly fee is going $12.95 I believe, but a forewarning... This is a really hardcore game. Don't think about touching it unless you can dedicate alot of game time to it.

lazy8um87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lazy8um87

FFXI is a great MMO, provided that you can play 8 hours a day. The monthly fee is going $12.95 I believe, but a forewarning... This is a really hardcore game. Don't think about touching it unless you can dedicate alot of game time to it.

Blicen

ill see thanks for the advice

illbitcrusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 illbitcrusher
Member since 2004 • 2052 Posts
MMOs usually require alot of your time unless it's the likes of Phantasy Star Online. I say Online because that game was awesome and free to play, Universe is just bull.
infamous16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 infamous16
Member since 2005 • 327 Posts
It's a great mmo, if you know what your doing. In this game there are so many ways to not do what your supposed to. Get a friend to play with you are find a friend that already plays. Pm me if you buy it, so I can help you out. Fairy server is the best!
XxAK47xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 XxAK47xX
Member since 2005 • 5003 Posts

The only one so far that i actually want is Huxley but its taking forever to come out.

lazy8um87
HUXLY
Serge-Chrono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Serge-Chrono
Member since 2007 • 691 Posts

think that FFXI is like 10 bucks a month and I hear that you shouldn't get to deeply into it unless you can speak a decent amount of japanese because most americans would just rather play WoW or Guild Wars.

I think you heard wrong, that is, unless your up at 5:00 in the morning looking for a party, then you'll start meeting a whole of japanese people, and the auto translator gets most of the needed text done.

TC: No, no, no, no, no, no and no. This is a hardcore Rpg, almost the exact opposite of Wow and this game is very detailed with a very brutal economy. You will have to play the game a lot to keep up with everyone else, back when I used to play I played from 10 to 2 just to get one level, then to flipping Delevel. Sometimes it takes hours just to walk to a place where you are going to level. If you still want to play this game (I might try to get back into for the summer) then I would recommend finding a linkshell quickly (basically team chat) and finding a mentor. This game looks bad and rough but once you play it, it will start to suck you in and before you know it you've just finished your 3 hour in the same party. If you want more information you should go to Allakazahm FFXI Section, they have a pretty good knowledge of this game.http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/

ihateyou_right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 ihateyou_right
Member since 2005 • 1295 Posts
PSU is a better one to start of with it's pritty small doesn't need loads of time and has a lot of players the membership it about £6 or £8 if I remember It is pritty fun too.
Serge-Chrono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Serge-Chrono

PSU is a better one to start of with it's pritty small doesn't need loads of time and has a lot of players the membership it about £6 or £8 if I remember It is pritty fun too.ihateyou_right

Yeah, I would recommend PSU as well.

Gokuja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Gokuja
Member since 2005 • 3767 Posts
[QUOTE="Blicen"]

lazy8um87

He's right. it takes awhile to level up, especially when you get to higher levels. although now i think its the opposite (i havent played for awhile) last i was on it was hard to get a party in the dunes, unlike when i started it was always full (ahh how i miss those days) i think its worth a try for you, its very rewarding and challenging. I just with they would have made it more solo friendly, or at least so you didn't have to basically have a party of 6.

MistWalk3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MistWalk3r
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
So much non-info on the game coming from people who apparently havent even played the game in this thread. Go to http://www.killingifrit.com/ or http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/and ask/look around. I've played the game pretty much since release. The game is hardcore, a soon to be dead aspect in the genre thx to games such as WoW. Dont expect to be able to get far in the game playing a couple hours every other day. For 20$ you'll be getting endless amount of areas/story to explore for years. I say try it out, and no you wont find this experience anywhere else on consoles.
MistWalk3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MistWalk3r
[QUOTE="lazy8um87"][QUOTE="Blicen"]

Gokuja

He's right. it takes awhile to level up, especially when you get to higher levels. although now i think its the opposite (i havent played for awhile) last i was on it was hard to get a party in the dunes, unlike when i started it was always full (ahh how i miss those days) i think its worth a try for you, its very rewarding and challenging. I just with they would have made it more solo friendly, or at least so you didn't have to basically have a party of 6.

It's a little better now. They have EXP+100%/EXP+75%/EXP+50% rings now.

xeekthecatx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 xeekthecatx
Member since 2005 • 926 Posts

i have a friend that has a 360 and FFXI is all he plays. i think there's a demo, if there is try it out.

MistWalk3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MistWalk3r

i have a friend that has a 360 and FFXI is all he plays. i think there's a demo, if there is try it out.

xeekthecatx

There was a BETA, but no demo. But when you buy game you get a month free to play I believe.

acidic_dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 acidic_dude
Member since 2003 • 1713 Posts
since you have never played an mmo before, I would actually play FF12 and/or Oblivion first if you havent because those are single player but they kinda play like an mmo but offline, they can help prepare you. I would actually urge you to start with world of warcraft because it is pretty easy on your computer and it is actually pretty noob friendly but has enoughdepth for those who are hardcore.
RogueRazgriz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RogueRazgriz1
Member since 2006 • 49 Posts
i suggest WoW...ive played FFXI and belive me, it is not friendly to new ppl...theres basically no tutorial so id say only pick it up if you got some friends that play FFXI
baronOdoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 baronOdoom
Member since 2006 • 1651 Posts
imo its the best MMO, i like it alot more than WoW or EQ,, i guess because i like to grind and what not... and nevertheless i have justed reactivated my current account this hour!! hopefully you'll be on valefor server! me Galka.. me Tremor
jet2892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#25 jet2892
Member since 2004 • 2832 Posts
[QUOTE="Blicen"]

lazy8um87

Sounds like some hardcore thing where u have another job but u pay them but u have a bit of fun
PotatoSan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 PotatoSan
Member since 2005 • 3491 Posts

[QUOTE="deuceswld84"]If you have a good PC, get Guild Wars. No monthly fee and its pretty easy to pick up and play.akkirei

yeah, guild wars is a good idea. although i thought it wasn't any fun at all, since i had played wow before it, you might like it.
deuceswld84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deuceswld84
[QUOTE="akkirei"]

[QUOTE="deuceswld84"]If you have a good PC, get Guild Wars. No monthly fee and its pretty easy to pick up and play.PotatoSan

yeah, guild wars is a good idea. although i thought it wasn't any fun at all, since i had played wow before it, you might like it.

You know I have never played WoW, I really don't want to. I don't like the idea of having to pay to play a game I already bought and spending most of the time grinding. Guild Wars can be really fun though, for me at least. I have like 7 friends that play that game. I personally like the level 20 cap they have. I don't have to spend hours upon hours to get my character bad ass. Like I said before its pretty easy to just pick up and play, and you can stop any time without worrying about still paying a monthly fee. The skills are well balanced, so it doesn't matter if you play 3-5 hours a week to max out your character, you can hit some PvP and school even the veteran players that play all the time.

Guild Wars is IMO, the ideal game for MMO beginners.

Private_Vegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Private_Vegas
Member since 2007 • 2783 Posts

FFXI, or Fleven as I call it, is the tool of the devil! I personally hated that game. I havea list of things wrong with it but herearetwo big ones.

Once you hit level 10, you can't do anything alone! Enemies you can kill don't give enough exp to merit the effor tin killing them, and enemies that give a decent amount require a party of 6. and forming agood party is freaking hard because whitemages(The healers, which you NEED!), and Warriors/Paladins (Tanks whihc you also NEED!) are either all snatched up by other parties or just not avaliable. And the experience gets all thown out if wack if your partie slevles are spread out more than 3 levels, so getting a good party is even harder.

And the second thing is the ingame economy. Gil sellers have ruined theAH(aka Auction House aka the only place to get good weapons/armor.) I got one job up to level 40 and the equipment costs well over 30K a pop. And most quests give no more than a couple thousand. And farming items to sell at the AH is a long, boring, tedious process. it can take hours to get a stack of 12 high priced items. like silk threads, which sell for about 13K.

Fleven = Very much NO!

Serge-Chrono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Serge-Chrono

FFXI, or Fleven as I call it, is the tool of the devil! I personally hated that game. I havea list of things wrong with it but herearetwo big ones.

Once you hit level 10, you can't do anything alone! Enemies you can kill don't give enough exp to merit the effor tin killing them, and enemies that give a decent amount require a party of 6. and forming agood party is freaking hard because whitemages(The healers, which you NEED!), and Warriors/Paladins (Tanks whihc you also NEED!) are either all snatched up by other parties or just not avaliable. And the experience gets all thown out if wack if your partie slevles are spread out more than 3 levels, so getting a good party is even harder.

And the second thing is the ingame economy. Gil sellers have ruined theAH(aka Auction House aka the only place to get good weapons/armor.) I got one job up to level 40 and the equipment costs well over 30K a pop. And most quests give no more than a couple thousand. And farming items to sell at the AH is a long, boring, tedious process. it can take hours to get a stack of 12 high priced items. like silk threads, which sell for about 13K.

Fleven = Very much NO!

Private_Vegas

They have found out a lot of the Gilsellers and stuff recently so the economy levels are started to go down on some servers and looking for a party is the reason why people actually stay in parties instead of saying hey, you didn't heal me fast enough, i'm leaving.

LUK3isH3RE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LUK3isH3RE
Member since 2006 • 1492 Posts

lazy8um87
lazy8um87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lazy8um87

thanks for the advice

lazy8um87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lazy8um87
ohh
viberooni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#34 viberooni
Member since 2003 • 1396 Posts

If WoW seems appealing to you, get WoW. It's a great first MMO and a really well made game.

FFXI, as many have mentioned, is quite hardcore and time consuming even for a genre that tends to be those things anyway. There really hasn't been a definitive open ended console MMO experience so far in my opinion (though PSO was great for Dreamcast), so you're out of luck if you want to experience the genre at it's best on the 360 or any other system. I prefered FFXI on my computer more than a console anyway, and even then it wasn't the game for me.

lazy8um87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lazy8um87
Wow it is then
Brent330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 Brent330
Member since 2005 • 120 Posts

Ive never played any kind of mmo and i am not really into rpgs but i want 2 try anmmo to see what the big deal is.

So is FFXI a good mmo to start with and by the way the only rpg ive ever played is Oblivion.

lazy8um87

Well FF XI is kinda dead now hardly any people playing still.

Yukonxcr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Yukonxcr
Member since 2007 • 31 Posts
If you want a console MMO, I would suggest you download the demo for PSU on Xbox Live. It gives a couple weeks to try it out for free. See if you like it.
Serge-Chrono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Serge-Chrono
[QUOTE="lazy8um87"]

Brent330

2000 people on my server alone :( Thats not populated to you. Need I remind you you are playing with PS2 and PC players as well? If you really need a console mmorpg I would still suggest Phantasy Star Universe

lazy8um87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lazy8um87
so is FFXI any good at all? how big is the map/world you play in
infamous16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 infamous16
Member since 2005 • 327 Posts
Does anyone know if I can play my pc/ps2 account on a 360? It started as a ps2 account, then I bought it for pc and its on there right now.
Brent330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 Brent330
Member since 2005 • 120 Posts
[QUOTE="Brent330"][QUOTE="lazy8um87"]

Serge-Chrono

2000 people on my server alone :( Thats not populated to you. Need I remind you you are playing with PS2 and PC players as well? If you really need a console mmorpg I would still suggest Phantasy Star Universe

I have FF XI and its hardly played any more. No 2000 people at one time ? I dont think so, look at WoW.

prostar343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 prostar343
Member since 2004 • 5258 Posts
I would highly recommend WoW if you are truly want to get into MMOs. It makes playing an MMO very easy, and has a very minimal penalty system for when you screw up. Do note if you do play WoW please please do not play a Night Elf Hunter. Please.
eNT1TY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 eNT1TY
Member since 2005 • 1319 Posts

FFXI is good imo but not too beginer friendly... you WILL need a party if you plan on making any progress since only like 1 class can solo effectively (stopped playing shortly a few months before CoP) and a linkshell (guild) if you plan on having decent equipment during endgame and a craft is recommended if you plan on buying stuff since the AH is a mess inflation wise. EQ2 is a lil easier, has/had imo great crafting and looks nice on good hardware can get a lil boring too guild are a must if you plan on having fabled gear and kill contested epic mobs or run some of the worthwhile instanced zones. Wow, is even easier and you might get into it if its your 1st mmo. I personally thought WoW sucked absolute moose scrotum, but everyone is entitled to like whatever rotting festering stincking pile of horse excrement they please. Wow can get pretty harcore too though if you are willing to invest the time but many there are satisfied with just maxing lvls without experiencing a good portion of the end game content that is undoubtedly there for those with the time on their hands (this will never change and is present in all mmo's)

As for as guild wars its not an mmo, its diablo (small groups in an instanced area noone else can populate but the group) that looks fairly nice and the game also has some nice team vs team areana combat (again nothing massively multiplayer about it) you do get to actually see people in towns though kinda like a big 3d chat room, that is where the mmo aspect begins and ends. It is also easy to reach lvl cap but getting all the skills/spells and good equipment will take some time. You will farm alot (prolly big badies that can usually kill ya but near zone borders for safety) if you plan on doing things solo. Same thing applies to PSU not mmo... just merely online multiplayer. Dont know how much has changed since PSO but having your char look the same since the creation screen for the remainder of the game wearing the same crap kinda sucks though you do see the different weaps you equip.

Serge-Chrono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Serge-Chrono

so is FFXI any good at all? how big is the map/world you play inlazy8um87

Big, it sometimes take hours to get to one place from another.

Serge-Chrono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Serge-Chrono
[QUOTE="Serge-Chrono"][QUOTE="Brent330"][QUOTE="lazy8um87"]

Brent330

I have FF XI and its hardly played any more. No 2000 people at one time ? I dont think so, look at WoW.

Wow, I have it to so don' tell me i'm wrong when I know I am right. Wha tserver were you on anyway, maybe its just your server. Wow, I've played wow and I think it sucks a whole lot but if you wanted to get into mmorpgs I would start with that one.

retrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 retrib
Member since 2007 • 670 Posts
FFXI is one of the best MMO's out there, it's a great one to start with. There is no demo out since it's a friggin MMO..lol demo PFFT rofl demo..
lazy8um87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 lazy8um87
aiight cool then
lazy8um87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 lazy8um87
wat about WOW now that i have a new computer i would be able to run it???
RogueRazgriz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 RogueRazgriz1
Member since 2006 • 49 Posts

[QUOTE="lazy8um87"]so is FFXI any good at all? how big is the map/world you play inSerge-Chrono

Big, it sometimes take hours to get to one place from another.

That was one of the problems for me when i played. It juts took too long to get anywhere and the characters moved too slowly. I enjoyed WoW waaaaayyyyy more because i had more friends playing WoW than FFXI. But, to tell the truth, i enjoyed Star Wars Galaxies even more than WoW because im a Star Wars fan, but that was all before SOE messed it all up