Is dragon age really complex?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wakanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Wakanoid
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

I saw gameplay, and on xbox 360, controlling 4 guys and using spells for all of them, seems a bit not so easy. It seems kind of frustrating to use 4 guys? Is there anway I ca control just 1? and will I get use to it? cause I really wanna try it.

Grif-yes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Grif-yes
Member since 2009 • 1576 Posts

You get used to it, and it gets to be second nature.

Think of how complex the first gun games are to people who have never played video games, You have to move two sticks and alternate between a bunch of buttons, this got second nature and so does DA:O combat.

Wakanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Wakanoid

Must I always control 4? how is the action?

Nemesis4747

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Nemesis4747
Member since 2004 • 1104 Posts

not really, its not exactly pick up and play but compared to some older rpgs like Neverwinter Nights its downright simplistic, very fun game though i just wish there were more classes or atleast proper prestige classes

Wakanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Wakanoid

Will I enjoy it? Even though I'm not sure about the 4 people at once? I loved oblivion and fallout 3.

Blackhawk692

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Blackhawk692
Member since 2005 • 1306 Posts

compared to other pause and play rpgs it is very simple, but compared other games ie shooters it can be complex

Wakanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Wakanoid

Whats a pause and play rpg.

SWIFFT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 SWIFFT
Member since 2003 • 764 Posts

Whats a pause and play rpg.

Wakanoid
turn based rpg
narog84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 narog84
Member since 2006 • 1126 Posts

the combat look like point and click

Wakanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Wakanoid

Like final fantasy? (pause and play)

amill68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 amill68
Member since 2005 • 220 Posts

pause and play RPG's are basically where you pause the game, set the spells/actions of the characters in your group, un pause it, and they they do those, rinse & repeat. i have not personally played this on Xbox, but the PC version, you can set up rules which your party members will follow depending on various circumstances. this makes it alot faster, though i think that the turn based RPG is a necessary element to this game. it is still designed to flow pretty fast, and like the first responder said, it gets easier and easier, and im sure that they designed the 360 interface to be intuitive. just give it some time before you throw the controller against the wall in fristeration fo rthe controls. if you are used to shooters and even oblivion, this will be difficult and frusterating for a good amount of time, but oyu will get used to it an love it. i have yet to hear people who havent enjoyed this game (barring the people who didnt know what they were getting in to). good luck!

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

Lol, your supposed to constantly switch between players and control all of them? That would get so tiresome. I just set tactics and use my character. Its more fun.

amill68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 amill68
Member since 2005 • 220 Posts

yeah thats what i do on the computer, i assume you can also do it on the x box, though i dont know for sure

joke_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 joke_man
Member since 2005 • 1177 Posts

Lol, your supposed to constantly switch between players and control all of them? That would get so tiresome. I just set tactics and use my character. Its more fun.

firefox59

Pretty much what the guy above me stated. For each character in your party, they have slots that you can assign skills and abilities for them to use in battle--like who to attack based on health and what to attack with. It's fairly easy as there are several pre-created skill sets for each character--if you decide to use them. For the most part, you will only be controlling your main character. With the Xbox version, combat flows fairly quickly and the only reason to pause is to change characters and have them use a potion to heal when things are going awry. It's not difficult, considering you have good skill sets prepared to each character to perform when they go into battle.

Arc_Angel2k4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#15 Arc_Angel2k4
Member since 2005 • 107 Posts

@Wakanoid *Warning May Contain Spoilers*

I own the PC version of Dragon Age Origins. However it does not differ that much between the systems. The combat is set out very well. Each character has a role they are created for and fill that role well. This game is a very similar play style to KOTOR 1 and 2. If you have played and liked those you will be happy with this game. If you have ever played FF 12 you have the ability to Macro your party. In Dragon Age Origins your party Marco ability is very powerful, after some fine tuning you will be slaying darkspawn with ease. Levelling and Combat are very similar to KOTOR (not very different from Mass Effect). Almost every time you enter combat you will have 3 additional party members. Alistair is the tank of the group, Sten is your two hander wonder, War dog... is a dog (good for early to mid adventure... after level 15 is considered weak because you cannot give it powerful weapons or amour... Overpower (or Overrun) is a great skill to have. Morrigan is your spell caster. Wynne is the healer (get her from the Circle of Magi). Leliana is the first rouge you meet (she is a bard and is a great archer and party support). Zevran is the assassin class and does his job well. If you take the time to set up traps and play smart the game is very fun. Combat is meant to be paused and orders to be issued. This is just like KOTOR and Mass Effect (If you liked those games you will like DA:O). You do regenerate after combat, special moves cost stamina or mana and that does regenerate in combat if you are not in a stance. The death penalty is a stat reduction (this gets very painful if you let them stack). If you go to camp or use a heal kit you get rid of these penalties. This is by far one of the best RPGs I have played for both Story and Combat. Once again if you liked Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR), Never winter nights 2 (NWN2) or Mass Effect you will like this game.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

It's a bit difficult for me because I just can't seem to set up the right tactics for my characters. I don't want them to attack until I attack beause they rush into traps and whatnot. I think I got that part down, but then all my characters always die. It's a bit frustrating, but I guess I just have to keep changing up the tactics until I find something that works.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts
[QUOTE="joke_man"]

[QUOTE="firefox59"]

Pretty much what the guy above me stated. For each character in your party, they have slots that you can assign skills and abilities for them to use in battle--like who to attack based on health and what to attack with. It's fairly easy as there are several pre-created skill sets for each character--if you decide to use them. For the most part, you will only be controlling your main character. With the Xbox version, combat flows fairly quickly and the only reason to pause is to change characters and have them use a potion to heal when things are going awry. It's not difficult, considering you have good skill sets prepared to each character to perform when they go into battle.

Yeah, thats exactly what I've been doing. Just switching characters to quick heal when they are too slow to do it. And after I messed around with the tactics for 10 minutes or so the game became a lot more fun. Its amazing what a couple changes do to the flow of battle.
joke_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 joke_man

I own the PC version of Dragon Age Origins. However it does not differ that much between the systems. The combat is set out very well. Each character has a role they are created for and fill that role well. This game is a very similar play style to KOTOR 1 and 2. If you have played and liked those you will be happy with this game. If you have ever played FF 12 you have the ability to Macro your party. In Dragon Age Origins your party Marco ability is very powerful, after some fine tuning you will be slaying darkspawn with ease. Levelling and Combat are very similar to KOTOR (not very different from Mass Effect). Almost every time you enter combat you will have 3 additional party members. Alistair is the tank of the group, Sten is your two hander wonder, War dog... is a dog (good for early to mid adventure... after level 15 is considered weak because you cannot give it powerful weapons or amour... Overpower (or Overrun) is a great skill to have. Morrigan is your spell caster. Wynne is the healer (get her from the Circle of Magi). Leliana is the first rouge you meet (she is a bard and is a great archer and party support). Zevran is the assassin class and does his job well. If you take the time to set up traps and play smart the game is very fun. Combat is meant to be paused and orders to be issued. This is just like KOTOR and Mass Effect (If you liked those games you will like DA:O). You do regenerate after combat, special moves cost stamina or mana and that does regenerate in combat if you are not in a stance. The death penalty is a stat reduction (this gets very painful if you let them stack). If you go to camp or use a heal kit you get rid of these penalties. This is by far one of the best RPGs I have played for both Story and Combat. Once again if you liked Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR), Never winter nights 2 (NWN2) or Mass Effect you will like this game.

Arc_Angel2k4

As an FYI, we are discussing the 360 version, not the PC version. The gameplay differences are fairly dramatic considering the type of play.

Arc_Angel2k4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Arc_Angel2k4

@Joke_man

No its not. There are very few differences. I have played both the PC and the 360 Versions... other than controls... How to issue orders and the in ability to move the camera. They are the same. Combat plays out the same... you have the ability to pause in both games... the ability to macro in both games... the same characters in both games. They are the same game... so don't give me that. The difficulty setting is easier on the 360 and PS3 but the concept of combat is the same... you can pause and issue orders to each party member and watch the battle play out. In both versions you can make your party hold position and draw the enemy into an ambush or play how ever you want.

If you think the differences are that dramatic please list them.

FrAnKiE_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FrAnKiE_90
Member since 2009 • 37 Posts

i dnt have a response to ur quesiton but i have my own question is the combat hack and slaash or do i jsut press attack my guy attacks and then i wait for a little bar to fill up and then he attacks again ????? im toking about the 360 version

Arc_Angel2k4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Arc_Angel2k4

@FrAnKiE_90

Its Neither a hack and slash or press a button and your guys attack and then wait like Final Fantasy. Look at some game play videos you will see what I mean. Your character (the character you control) does what you tell it, if you say attack it will attack that target till death, after that you must issue another order, you must tell it when to use the moves you want it to (such as shield bash or Cone of Cold). Your party when you are not issuing orders will respond on how the party tactics are set up. If you set Alister as a Defender it says what his script is... he will attack the closest enemy... if an ally is under attack he will run over and assist, he will use moves X, Y, Z. You can set up how you want each character to act... both as a class description or a custome. Your party attacks and runs into battle when under attack unless in hold position mode (Aka solo mode).

joke_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 joke_man

@Joke_man

No its not. There are very few differences. I have played both the PC and the 360 Versions... other than controls... How to issue orders and the in ability to move the camera. They are the same. Combat plays out the same... you have the ability to pause in both games... the ability to macro in both games... the same characters in both games. They are the same game... so don't give me that. The difficulty setting is easier on the 360 and PS3 but the concept of combat is the same... you can pause and issue orders to each party member and watch the battle play out. In both versions you can make your party hold position and draw the enemy into an ambush or play how ever you want.

If you think the differences are that dramatic please list them.

Arc_Angel2k4

Really, I can get through a battle in a fraction of the time playing the console version. The console version is made to be played without having to pause. It was created for faster pace battling to appeal to console gamers. I can promise you that you won't get by with the same strategy playing the PC version. It's pause and play, or die.

The console version was meant to appeal to different people; hence, while the basic mechanics are nearly the same, the way in which players can implement them are extremely different regarding they playability and strategy you have when entering a battle.

Avatar image for NutsLikeKngKong
NutsLikeKngKong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 NutsLikeKngKong
Member since 2009 • 192 Posts
Lol wow... I've only been controlling my own character and auto-leveling the others. Being a mage I just cast crazy amounts of AoE and hope the healer can out-heal all the friendly fire. I don't see the necessity in manually leveling up your characters, gearing them out or even controlling them in combat... Honestly, its tiresome enough doing it to your own character and not very rewarding since you're probably going to be switching people in and out of your party quite frequently. You can play with the way their AI acts... Like when they should use certain spells, and which targets to attack first etc. Actually switching to them and playing them in the middle of a fight just seems worthless, and you can manage just fine by pretty much ignoring them completely.
Dordledum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Dordledum
Member since 2009 • 1754 Posts

IMHO the difference between PC and xbox version is not that much in the control options, but more in the difficulty options. If you up the diffiulty setting on the x-box, the experience is quite similar.

It's still the best game I got on this console I think. Mass Effect being a close second.

Wakanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Wakanoid

So basically the other characters will become AI. when not being used

Dordledum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Dordledum
Member since 2009 • 1754 Posts

So basically the other characters will become AI. when not being used

Wakanoid

yes, but you can edit their default and triggered actions beforehand if you wish.

orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#27 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
here's what *I* wanna know. if your attacking with one guys, do the others just sit there, or when you're attacking with one guy do they just sit there and do nothing? this could help me decide on whether or not to get it in the future :D
Arc_Angel2k4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Arc_Angel2k4

here's what *I* wanna know. if your attacking with one guys, do the others just sit there, or when you're attacking with one guy do they just sit there and do nothing? this could help me decide on whether or not to get it in the future :Dorb_03_2006

First off you cannot attack with one guy unless your in Solo mode. If you are in group mode your party is with you. They will run off if attacked and kill what is attacking them... or you. If you have Solo mode on... they will just sit there untill you turn it off. The AI is good, they will flank, guard, and attack at range if equipped with a range weapon. At times your party will run into an ambush... its the player at fault though... Solo mode pays off to set traps and scout ahead without putting the party at risk.

Wakanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Wakanoid

[QUOTE="orb_03_2006"]here's what *I* wanna know. if your attacking with one guys, do the others just sit there, or when you're attacking with one guy do they just sit there and do nothing? this could help me decide on whether or not to get it in the future :DArc_Angel2k4

First off you cannot attack with one guy unless your in Solo mode. If you are in group mode your party is with you. They will run off if attacked and kill what is attacking them... or you. If you have Solo mode on... they will just sit there untill you turn it off. The AI is good, they will flank, guard, and attack at range if equipped with a range weapon. At times your party will run into an ambush... its the player at fault though... Solo mode pays off to set traps and scout ahead without putting the party at risk.

Ahah, well solo mode. That seems good, So I just set there main spells. And I play whatever character I feel like? and I guess that makes a good variety of characters cause I can make 4 at once yes? So I can like a mage/warrior/archer/ and whatever the classes are, without having to make a hole new guy start at level 1?

SgtSilock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SgtSilock
Member since 2005 • 3167 Posts

Now i mean in this in the nicest way possible, but really it is 'concerns' like this why games have become so simple and mainstream. Really, the more complex, the more fun and longevity you can get out of the game. Yes the game is quite complex, and it is easy to manage and as someone already said, it does become second nature. You will get use to it, and you will enjoy it, so do not be afraid of picking it up. At least rent it if you are still unsure.

Avatar image for TIE_Elite_Pilot
TIE_Elite_Pilot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 TIE_Elite_Pilot
Member since 2004 • 829 Posts

I own the PC version of Dragon Age Origins. However it does not differ that much between the systems. The combat is set out very well. Each character has a role they are created for and fill that role well. This game is a very similar play style to KOTOR 1 and 2. If you have played and liked those you will be happy with this game.

Arc_Angel2k4

I've been looking for the answer to the "is it like Kotor's combat system?" since the game came out. thank you very very much for finally answering it (no review really did imo). BioWare should thank you, they just sold one more copy of the game.