Is Downloading a game onto your HD better then using the disc?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lostboy1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 Lostboy1224
Member since 2007 • 3425 Posts

I have only downloaded my NBA 2K9 to my Hard drive and played one game so far but haven't noticed any problems. I have read about some people having issues with this method, but so far all I notice is that my 360 is a lot less loud and this may save my system from being repaired every 6 months. For those of you who have been downloading your games to your HD, can you share your pros and cons with me and maybe give me a heads up for any games that run worse once their downloaded? Appreciate it......

Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts
some games like HALO3, nope. Overall yes but not all games favor the feature.
Sonny360Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Sonny360Elite
Member since 2009 • 1593 Posts
You don't download to your harddrive. If anything it'd be more like uploading, but you don't do that either. You install the game to your hard drive. I only have a 20gb so I only have 1 game installed which is gears 2, but I haven't been playing it too much lately. I've never had any problems the game starts up real fast, short load times, though I don't really need to load I only play multiplayer, it seems to run a lot more smooth and silent. It makes me want to spend the 100 for the upgrade to install all my games.
Alfarock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Alfarock
Member since 2009 • 79 Posts
Do you have to have live to download it???
Aravix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -16

#5 Aravix
Member since 2004 • 1282 Posts
I had some freezing problems with Fable 2 and GTA IV. Since I've installed them to the HD, I've had no issues at all. Except for the space they require. I only install games to my HD if the disc is too screwed up, and isn't fully readable.
Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts
Do you have to have live to download it???Alfarock
to the HDD? No but to get the update to use the feature, yes (nXE).
wpglaeser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 wpglaeser
Member since 2004 • 36 Posts

Do you still need the game disc in the dvd drive during gameplay?

I'm guessing "yes", otherwise you could install one game on multiple xboxes... they want you to license a game per box, right? Sux for me to spend $120 so my son and I can coop on COD WaW...

Walt

strobeshow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 strobeshow
Member since 2008 • 105 Posts

I'm guessing "yes", otherwise you could install one game on multiple xboxes... they want you to license a game per box, right? Sux for me to spend $120 so my son and I can coop on COD WaW...

Walt

wpglaeser
thatd be sweet if you and him could, but you're assuming right.. you still need the disc in.
zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

The biggest difference is load times. Also less heat and noise.

Link

Lostfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lostfile
Member since 2006 • 544 Posts

The only things I thought that were pros for me was that it quiets down my 360 and for some strange reason helps my internet connection while playing games online.

lil_d_mack_314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lil_d_mack_314
Member since 2006 • 13969 Posts

Walt

wpglaeser
yeh you do. other wise "they" would lose tones of money on video game purchases. as for the original Q. i DL'ed Oblivion and there is WAY less sound coming from my 360, i only have a 20GB (Actually like 12) and Oblivion and DL'ed content takes up more than half of that.
Lostboy1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lostboy1224
I believe you have to have the game disc in the 360 to play it. If that wasn't the case I would be renting a bunch of games and just downloading them to my 120 GB hard drive. Oh that would be sweet. I used to know a guy who would modify the old Xboxes so you could just download the game and then just play it from your hard drive. He made some good money from people paying him $75 to modify their consoles. Yeah, the only reason I am "installing" games is because I just got the 120 GB and have plenty of room. I won't be doing it for all my games, just for the ones that I know I will playing the most such as NBA 2K9, Fallout 3, Call of Duty WAW.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#13 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
yes most games but some games where fully designed to play best on disc like halo which i hate the proformce dont run bad it's just the loading time that takes twice as long thats only game i have heard about how bad it is. some games dont even get effects from downloading everything the same there good reasons ~dvd drive gets less wear and tear ~the xbox even produce less heat because the dvd drive aint runing u can tell the differcent put your hand in the back feel the air when a disc is runign and when u playinga game on harddrive ~ few secs faster load but not biggy ~less nosie is a plus
uwiwami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 uwiwami
Member since 2008 • 334 Posts
Installing fable 2 made it much smoother
Lostboy1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lostboy1224
yes most games but some games where fully designed to play best on disc like halo which i hate the proformce dont run bad it's just the loading time that takes twice as long thats only game i have heard about how bad it is. some games dont even get effects from downloading everything the same there good reasons ~dvd drive gets less wear and tear ~the xbox even produce less heat because the dvd drive aint runing u can tell the differcent put your hand in the back feel the air when a disc is runign and when u playinga game on harddrive ~ few secs faster load but not biggy ~less nosie is a plusk2theswiss
I love the fact there is so much less noise while playing. That is almost worth it in itself just to not hear the console roaring away.
brandontwb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 brandontwb
Member since 2008 • 4325 Posts
The only con really is that is takes up memory. It makes most games run faster and quieter. Just don't install games that say 'optimized for hard drive' like Halo 3, because it will makes those games run more slowly. And if your Xbox is breaking every 6 months make sure that it's not in an enclosed space.
OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts
i prefer installing the game to your harddrive
paul52181

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 paul52181
Member since 2004 • 1051 Posts
I saw some major improvements in a few games, faster loading times, less disc tray noise, cooler operating temperatures......by the way...woohoo! My 1,000th post!
BadBoy_Lo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BadBoy_Lo
Member since 2009 • 121 Posts
short answer: yes it is better. long answer: yes it is better bc it saves your DVD from wear-n-tear, saves your discs from abuse, faster load times, and all the myriad of reasons everyone else has already stated. if u have the disk space and plan on playing that game often, whatever it may be, just install it. you'll be happier (bc, uhh..thats what we all want!). then delete the install when its time to shelf it
PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts
It's called installing not downloading.
simardbrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 simardbrad
Member since 2004 • 2355 Posts

You don't download to your harddrive. If anything it'd be more like uploading, but you don't do that either. You install the game to your hard drive. I only have a 20gb so I only have 1 game installed which is gears 2, but I haven't been playing it too much lately. I've never had any problems the game starts up real fast, short load times, though I don't really need to load I only play multiplayer, it seems to run a lot more smooth and silent. It makes me want to spend the 100 for the upgrade to install all my games.Sonny360Elite

neither... it's called installing. Downloading/Uploading has to do with the internet.

Lostboy1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lostboy1224
Just tried Call of Duty WAW multiplayer with the game installed and it ran pretty damn smooth. They should just make 120 GB mandatory in all basic 360's. Thats only fair to everyone investing in Microsoft's console.
Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

I had some freezing problems with Fable 2 and GTA IV. Since I've installed them to the HD, I've had no issues at all. Except for the space they require. I only install games to my HD if the disc is too screwed up, and isn't fully readable.Aravix

I've had some freezing with GTA IV as well. I'm thinking of uninstalling it especially since I only have a 20 gig.

BadBoy_Lo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BadBoy_Lo
Member since 2009 • 121 Posts
It's called installing not downloading.PlasmaBeam44
we've got a live one here.
Avatar image for Sonic-Super-Man
Sonic-Super-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sonic-Super-Man
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

It all depends what game you install. If its something you know you would play a lot of online like Halo 3 or CoD4 I wouldn't install it. Bungie even said that it will slow the matchmaking process down.

gdogghenrikson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 gdogghenrikson
Member since 2005 • 3028 Posts

The biggest difference is load times. Also less heat and noise.

Link

zaku101
yup
Sonny360Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Sonny360Elite
Member since 2009 • 1593 Posts

[QUOTE="Sonny360Elite"]You don't download to your harddrive. If anything it'd be more like uploading, but you don't do that either. You install the game to your hard drive. I only have a 20gb so I only have 1 game installed which is gears 2, but I haven't been playing it too much lately. I've never had any problems the game starts up real fast, short load times, though I don't really need to load I only play multiplayer, it seems to run a lot more smooth and silent. It makes me want to spend the 100 for the upgrade to install all my games.simardbrad

neither... it's called installing. Downloading/Uploading has to do with the internet.

Who are you talking to? I said you don't do neither, followed by You install it to your hard drive. So what?!??*** By the way, uploading doesn't have to do with the internet, downloading does. That's why I said it's more like uploading than downloading. So again, what?!??
ROBBYBEAR1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#28 ROBBYBEAR1985
Member since 2008 • 564 Posts
I HIGHLY recommend installing Fallout 3 and Fable 2 to the HDD. Especially Fallout 3. Tiny glitches and freezes drive me crazy so the ability to install games has been wonderful for me.
gizmo12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 gizmo12345
Member since 2006 • 1189 Posts

Installing fable 2 made it much smootheruwiwami

Realy? It didnt change a thing for me, just made my xbox quiet obviously.

PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts
[QUOTE="simardbrad"]

[QUOTE="Sonny360Elite"]You don't download to your harddrive. If anything it'd be more like uploading, but you don't do that either. You install the game to your hard drive. I only have a 20gb so I only have 1 game installed which is gears 2, but I haven't been playing it too much lately. I've never had any problems the game starts up real fast, short load times, though I don't really need to load I only play multiplayer, it seems to run a lot more smooth and silent. It makes me want to spend the 100 for the upgrade to install all my games.Sonny360Elite

Who are you talking to? I said you don't do neither, followed by You install it to your hard drive. So what?!??*** By the way, uploading doesn't have to do with the internet, downloading does. That's why I said it's more like uploading than downloading. So again, what?!??

Uploading does have to do with the internet. When you put a video on YouTube your uploading the file to their servers which then is shown on the site. When you put a game on your Hard Drive you are installing the files to it for easier access so the system doesn't have to search the disc. Your not "uploading" anything when installing.

mikeoohhhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 mikeoohhhh
Member since 2009 • 26 Posts

[QUOTE="uwiwami"]Installing fable 2 made it much smoothergizmo12345

Realy? It didnt change a thing for me, just made my xbox quiet obviously.

help me a ton. when i first got fable i was experiencing MAJOR freezing problems, but after installing it to the hdd it runs super smooth.

metalkid9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#32 metalkid9
Member since 2004 • 6013 Posts
after installing gta4 onto the hard drive it runs super smooth. you can really tell the difference. thats the only game that i play a lot, thats why I decided to install it