Installing games to hard drive?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lakeccrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 lakeccrunner
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I've heard that installing games to the hard drive helps with the red ring of death. Is this true?

I wasn't planning on getting a hard drive, but I guess I can pick up a 20gb if I need to. I'm going to be playing GTA4 and Saints Row 2 quite a bit, and if it will help with the rrod, i'll get a hard drive.

SPARTAN_D7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SPARTAN_D7
Member since 2007 • 477 Posts
No one knows for sure. But the thought is by installing the game you dont run your disk drive non-stop which makes your 360 run cooler. They figure its the heats that kills them. I install my games, they load a little faster, glitch less and my 360 does not sound like a jet engine taking off when I play it anymore. My 360 is still cool after a night of fallout so it cant be a bad thing installing the games.
daintonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 daintonk
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
well i dont know the technical side but yes, when installing games to the hard drive, playing them becomes a lot quieter and putting my hand near the xbox, it heats up a lot less so i guess it does help prevent the red ring
Avatar image for michelle_moraes
michelle_moraes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#4 michelle_moraes
Member since 2005 • 4198 Posts
I don't know if it helps with the ring of death, but I do know that it prevents freezing, at least with my 360. I was playing Eternal Sonata and it used to freeze all the time. Then a friend mentioned that I should try installing the game on my HD to see if it helped. I followed his suggestion and the game didn't freeze once after that.
Smogtoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Smogtoe
Member since 2005 • 362 Posts
Installing to the HDD does help with some games, but not all games....I do know that Fable 2 was unplayable on my 360 until I installed it on the HDD. I have heard its not a good idea for Halo 3 though. I guess, it boils down to trial and error, with certain games. It does help in some cases.
Thighmaster1o1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Thighmaster1o1
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Assassin's Creed runs great on the hd. I installed it after i got the xbox "expirience" update and it's working great. I always used to get the glitch where the horse's legs start to float in mid-air but now that never happens.
him42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 him42
Member since 2004 • 6811 Posts

Installing games to the hard drive puts less strain on the 360.

My 360 just red ringed, so I towel tricked it and I can play games on the hard drive just fine. HOWEVER, if I try to play a game off of a disc, the game will freeze within 20 minutes.

smigger123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 smigger123
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I have heard that installing a game to your hardrive stops it from lagging and freezing is this true ?

gamerfreak1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gamerfreak1991
Member since 2005 • 2501 Posts
Installing to the HDD does help with some games, but not all games....I do know that Fable 2 was unplayable on my 360 until I installed it on the HDD. I have heard its not a good idea for Halo 3 though. I guess, it boils down to trial and error, with certain games. It does help in some cases.Smogtoe
My Fable II is also unplayable when it's not on the HDD. It freezes constantly when not on the HDD.