Installing Games into the HDD...?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

XprimeX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 XprimeX
Member since 2006 • 1148 Posts
I still havent installed Left4Dead or Fallout3 into my Harddrive... but does it actually help or do anything? Or is it one of those thigns that will potentially do more harm than good in the long run?
DaveyBoy123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 DaveyBoy123
Member since 2004 • 2216 Posts
I still havent installed Left4Dead or Fallout3 into my Harddrive... but does it actually help or do anything? Or is it one of those thigns that will potentially do more harm than good in the long run?XprimeX
i havent tried it with those games, but it cut the sound of the console and the load times on Rainbow six: Vegas 1 for me decent enough.
znator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 znator
Member since 2006 • 550 Posts
I still havent installed Left4Dead or Fallout3 into my Harddrive... but does it actually help or do anything? Or is it one of those thigns that will potentially do more harm than good in the long run?XprimeX
There is some comparison vids that show that loads time are reduced by half a second to about 2 seconds tops, but the main purpose of Installing to the HDD is to reduce wear and tear from your machine constantly reading the game and help reduce any potential disc read errors.
Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts

The only way i could see it do harm is with Halo 3 (which actually increases load times). Other then that there is no way it would actually harm your system. Unless not hearing your 360 sound like a jet engine makes you crazy so you throw it out a window.... then it may harm it in the long run.

Personally i think the best games to install are RPGs. Either they have a lot of load screens or they stream the loads which makes it faster anyway. Plus it makes it easier to hear their voices and hearing the people talk in RPGs can be important. Now i did install CoD4, but that was only because i was playing it hardcore at the time and i decided since i played it so much i might as well keep my 360 cooler and make less noise. (installing doesn't make the disc spin so the fan does have to release the insane heat.... Why you ask? It doesn't get as hot so no need to turn it on).

If you plan on playing the game A LOT then why not install it, but other than that i wouldn't install L4D. Fallout 3 on the other hand i would probably install (unless your goign to stop playing it within a week or something).

XprimeX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 XprimeX
Thnx evryone that helped alot!
Fredrick2003x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Fredrick2003x
Member since 2005 • 2056 Posts

The only games I have installed are Left 4 Dead and Project Gotham Racing 4. Only those two because I have one of the classic 20GB drives. They load slightly faster, but not a huge amount, and the system is much much quieter, I can play it without waking up the whole house.

If you have the space definitely install your favorite games.

Except for Halo of course, I read something from Bungie about it having negative effects...

raylewisnfl52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 raylewisnfl52
Member since 2005 • 7146 Posts
they lower the load time
coldtrimz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 coldtrimz
Member since 2005 • 301 Posts

Download into harddrive?!

I might sound like a noob but you can do this with the game when you buy it? someone please explain if you could. :)

Maqda7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Maqda7
Member since 2008 • 3299 Posts

Download into harddrive?!

I might sound like a noob but you can do this with the game when you buy it? someone please explain if you could. :)

coldtrimz

It is a new feature with the NXE (New Xbox Experience), you can download any game you own onto your hard drive. It makes load times less and the xbox quiter which could reduce the chances of getting RRoD

coldtrimz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 coldtrimz
how much space does a game normaly take up?
DTStone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DTStone
Member since 2008 • 75 Posts
Most games seem to be around 4-7GB.
cocomacoco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#12 cocomacoco
Member since 2005 • 1217 Posts

Installing games like Rainbow 6 vegas and Front lines Fuels of War improves this games very much, plus the 360 get a lot less heat, I believe installing games is a great thing for the lens and the drive in general, dunno yet wheter the chip will work harder as it has to look for the information encripted in the HDD, maybe double the work, who knows?

Install games that you play hundred hours is the best thing to do I guess

thanks

coldtrimz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 coldtrimz

i just installed gears of war 2, but when i hit play off HardDrive it says insert disk?

Do i have to put in the disk and then can i take it out?

Fioth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Fioth
Member since 2004 • 187 Posts

I haven't read everything the others wrote so excuse me if I repeat someone else's words.

In Fallout 3's case:

Browsing your save files and some menus is a lot faster, loading times are kinda shorter and the machine is of course quieter.

Hope this helps.

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#15 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
Fallout 3 is great installed and even after a 5 hour session my 360 was barely warm.
sammyt555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 sammyt555
Member since 2008 • 220 Posts

i just installed gears of war 2, but when i hit play off HardDrive it says insert disk?

Do i have to put in the disk and then can i take it out?

coldtrimz

no, you leave it in all the time. it just sits there, it doesnt spin at all. its just so 100 people cant all get a copy of a game even tough only one bought it :P

I always install the game to the hard drive. ive had my 360 for a while now and it is starting to show signs of wear and tear: sometimes when i put a disk in that it hasnt seen yet, a screen pops up and in several languages tells me that in order to play the disk i need to put it in to an xbox 360. Pretty weird eh? that and things like disk read errors and slow loads.

I always have the main game im playing installed. always. its really not a hastle, takes all of 3 minutes for an average sized game to get in there.

I strongly reccomend installing games you play often to your hard drive, especially all you noobs out there that just got a 360 for christmas! :P

johnmatthais

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 johnmatthais
Member since 2007 • 109 Posts
Left 4 Dead probably won't see much improvement, Valve's good about making load times as short as possible i've seen less glitches and slowdown with Fallout installed and if you ever get The Last Remnant, do yourself a favor and don't play til it's on the HDD, it makes it playable
XprimeX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 XprimeX
Hey people its been awhile im back after about 4hrs of gaming with Fallout3 and Left4dead, after installing both games I downloaded demos, played online, played some fallout- 4hrs later the 360 is barely warm and made ZERO NOISE--- awesomeness.
Nomad0404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 Nomad0404
Member since 2004 • 1111 Posts

I've installed FableII but not Lego: Indy am thinking I'll install Gears of War as well but not done that yet.

I do understand that in some game cases the load times are factored into the game and you have mini-cut scenes during the loads that run for a specific period of time and this does not change whether it's installed or not, however, even just for the peace and quiet it's a benefit.

Avatar image for InsultToInjury_
InsultToInjury_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 InsultToInjury_
Member since 2007 • 2219 Posts
Ok reading various posts I only updated my 360 last night due to sharing a console up until Sunday. I noticed the download to hard disk, now I have the 60gb and with the games roughly 1gb-6gb thats quite good, but with say for argument sake Bioshock, I download that to my harddrive and it takes up 6gb.. does this not including saves etc? And also, read that you have to have a disk in in order for it to play.. so my little upload of Bioshock.. when I want to play that I need to make sure the disk of the game is in the tray or does any disk work? Sorry if my post is rather confusing. I'm trying to get my head round it. :)
johnmatthais

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 johnmatthais
Member since 2007 • 109 Posts
you shouldn't really need to install games unless there's slowdown or texture popping. otherwise it's a waste of space, seeing as it only reduces load times by 2 or 3 seconds, which isn't much
Swordfish152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 Swordfish152
Member since 2008 • 59 Posts
I like the installing games into HDD a lot because my 360 runs really quite and cool. It does not reduce as much heat as before. Hell yeah!!!
atrack800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 atrack800
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Hey, a quick question on this topic. If I install a game and I'm done playing it, when I delete it off my HDD does it also delete the game saves? Or does it leave those?
SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14834 Posts
Hey, a quick question on this topic. If I install a game and I'm done playing it, when I delete it off my HDD does it also delete the game saves? Or does it leave those?atrack800
It won't delete your saves.