I need help. Someone make my mind up for me!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NirdBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NirdBerd
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

This is probably either very stupid or nothing wrong with it at all. But I just really don't know.

Ok so I've been broke as of early September and I spent my Gears 3 pre-order money on some other games. Now Gears 3 was released, I regret this.

I can wait a couple of months until I'm able to get Gears 3 but I've never been so impatient to get a video game in my life, seriously, so anyway here's the dilemma:

I can either wait a couple of months to get Gears 3, or trade in FIVE currently owned games. Just so you know I would be getting these games back towards the end of the year as I'm against depleting my game collection/trading stuff in (but this time I seriously cannot wait another second to get gears 3)

The five games are; L.A. Noire, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Red Dead Redemption, Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City & Super Mario 64 DS

Don't tell me what I'm doing is stupid, I know it is :P But since I'm getting the games back, I just wanted a bunch of people to tell me if I should go with it or not. I know people are gonna say 'well ur gonna get them back, so do it!' well that's true but I just have this weird obsession with collecting and not trading stuff in, I can't be the only one..

Oh yeah and I forgot to mention that I wanted to do this real early before the end of the month because Argos my local retailer is doing a deal where I can get 800 MS Points for free if I get Gears 3 from there

So what should I do guys?

RedReckoning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 RedReckoning
Member since 2009 • 638 Posts

You could easily sell L.A Noire and Arkham Asylum online for 30 bucks a piece. Trade ins are robbery! Don't do it! (I personally got 35 bucks by selling L.A. Noire at a consignment shop) Selling those two alone will buy you GOW3!!

My personal advice on game collecting: Learn to let go of games you do not play, unless you want to keep a triology or series you love. It will do wonders for your bank account and you'll feel better knowing that it was for a good cause (towards getting a new game you will actually play). I have been slowly changing my ways as well because I used to hold great sentimental value to every game I owned for some reason. But alas, the games only gather dust so I'd rather sell them to someone who would enjoy playing them and earn a little cash also.

*Trilogies/in progess trilogies I will keep are Gears of War, Mass Effect, Left 4 Dead, and Assassins Creed.

Do not trade in all of those game and rebuy them. Wait til you have the money or sell those two games I mentioned at a 30-20 dollar price. Use good judgement and save money!

Sincerely hope this helps!

NirdBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NirdBerd

You could easily sell L.A Noire and Arkham Asylum online for 30 bucks a piece. Trade ins are robbery! Don't do it! (I personally got 35 bucks by selling L.A. Noire at a consignment shop) Selling those two alone will buy you GOW3!!

My personal advice on game collecting: Learn to let go of games you do not play, unless you want to keep a triology or series you love. It will do wonders for your bank account and you'll feel better knowing that it was for a good cause (towards getting a new game you will actually play). I have been slowly changing my ways as well because I used to hold great sentimental value to every game I owned for some reason. But alas, the games only gather dust so I'd rather sell them to someone who would enjoy playing them and earn a little cash also.

*Trilogies/in progess trilogies I will keep are Gears of War, Mass Effect, Left 4 Dead, and Assassins Creed.

Do not trade in all of those game and rebuy them. Wait til you have the money or sell those two games I mentioned at a 30-20 dollar price. Use good judgement and save money!

Sincerely hope this helps!

RedReckoning

It's a good idea but I honestly can't even find any retailer or anywhere that will accept my games for a decent price. Some places offer me less to sell because I'm actaully selling it rather than trading it in for something else in their store.

Also it will take me a pretty long time learning to let go of games I don't play :P I have a SNES collection I don't touch and I would cry if I lost it xD

Besides no matter how much u sell the games for, it will most likely be for a smaller price than when you bought it, so that would be a loss would it not? I gotta be extremely lucky to be able to sell a game for more than I bought it for unless it was used..

Santesyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 Santesyu
Member since 2008 • 4451 Posts

Only do it, if you dont care about those games anymore.

NirdBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NirdBerd

Only do it, if you dont care about those games anymore.

Santesyu

I only don't care about them at the moment cos I want Gears. I've 100% all the mentioned games though. I'm just in this dilemma cos of my collector-OCD kicking in

DrD3V1L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 DrD3V1L
Member since 2004 • 2064 Posts

It looks like you've made your own mind up about trading in those games. So yes, sell them and buy Gears! though, this isn't what I would do :)

cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

Seems like you've made your mind up anyhow.

But it does seem a bit silly to sell games and then buy them again.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing :)

javafriek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 javafriek
Member since 2008 • 752 Posts
All those games you mentioned are great games, you can do whatever you want to do but if it were me I wouldn't trade them. Besides game trades are a rip-off. You could probably get $30 for Red Dead alone.
shawn7324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#11 shawn7324
Member since 2006 • 8690 Posts

The best your gonna get via Trade-In value for all games is like $65.00.

soapman72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 soapman72
Member since 2010 • 2714 Posts

OH Hell NO

Avatar image for scouttrooperbob
scouttrooperbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13 scouttrooperbob
Member since 2008 • 2439 Posts

This is probably either very stupid or nothing wrong with it at all. But I just really don't know.

Ok so I've been broke as of early September and I spent my Gears 3 pre-order money on some other games. Now Gears 3 was released, I regret this.

I can wait a couple of months until I'm able to get Gears 3 but I've never been so impatient to get a video game in my life, seriously, so anyway here's the dilemma:

I can either wait a couple of months to get Gears 3, or trade in FIVE currently owned games. Just so you know I would be getting these games back towards the end of the year as I'm against depleting my game collection/trading stuff in (but this time I seriously cannot wait another second to get gears 3)

The five games are; L.A. Noire, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Red Dead Redemption, Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City & Super Mario 64 DS

Don't tell me what I'm doing is stupid, I know it is :P But since I'm getting the games back, I just wanted a bunch of people to tell me if I should go with it or not. I know people are gonna say 'well ur gonna get them back, so do it!' well that's true but I just have this weird obsession with collecting and not trading stuff in, I can't be the only one..

Oh yeah and I forgot to mention that I wanted to do this real early before the end of the month because Argos my local retailer is doing a deal where I can get 800 MS Points for free if I get Gears 3 from there

So what should I do guys?

NirdBerd

Gears is one of the few games id do this for. When i new game comes out i often sell a few of my games to pad the price. sold about 6 and got $80. ITs not a perfect deal but hey it works. I always get rid of my old COd games for the new ones. So I will sell black ops when MW3 comes out. Im one of those people that can have fun with 2 games for a really long time. And those are usually cod and gears, The rest are expendable for me :)

rholding2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#14 rholding2000
Member since 2004 • 208 Posts

MHO on GW3 is that its boring. I love the story, love the games style, its a GREAT game but its just GOW and mad repetative and i found it quite boring. If there was an option to stick game but watch all cut scenes id have happily payed my £70 just for that. This said the online is great but its just GOW . . like the last ones with a bit of value added stuff. If i were you id wait for GOW and save for forza, skyrim or even the f1 which came out today . . these games have depth man!

ghstbstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 ghstbstr
Member since 2006 • 8790 Posts

You could easily sell L.A Noire and Arkham Asylum online for 30 bucks a piece. Trade ins are robbery! Don't do it! (I personally got 35 bucks by selling L.A. Noire at a consignment shop) Selling those two alone will buy you GOW3!!RedReckoning

Not all trade ins are bad.

At Best But I traded in Dead Island which I paid like $54.04 with tax for their get 40% more on a trade in if you buy Gears of War 3, and with that deal I got $39.20 for trading in Dead Island. So Gears of War 3 ended up being $25.65 with tax, and the difference of the trade in with the price that I paid for Dead Island it in total I got Gears of War 3 for only $40.49!

So that was a great dealI think!