I have 12.8Mbps, Which is over 6 times the recommended amount, yet I still lag?!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by AussieFtw (25 posts) -
I lag 98% of the time, bullets get delayed by 1-4 seconds. Am I doing something wrong?! Is there a way to improve me speed? Any help is welcome.
#2 Posted by balfe1990 (6747 posts) -

I assume you're Australian? 

Could be due to the fact that you may be playing with people hundreds or even thousands of miles from your region. More latency the further you are away.

Does it lag when you play games with your mates who live in Oz?

#3 Posted by Jaysonguy (39454 posts) -

Speed has nothing at all to do with the quality of online gaming

#4 Posted by Venom951 (389 posts) -
I have 75 Mbps and 25 upload and I still lag it's just Xbox
#5 Posted by Jaysonguy (39454 posts) -

I have 75 Mbps and 25 upload and I still lag it's just Xbox Venom951

No it's not

This is simple basic knowledge

The latency of your signal is what matters when it comes to online gaming, that's it.

That's 100% on your ISP oh wait I have to explain what that means too, that means Internet Service Provider.

In other words if you have a bad connection you need to speak to who Mom and Dad get their internet service from and have them fix it.

Waiting for the guy with satellite internet to come in and ask why his gaming sessions are laggy..........

#6 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18452 posts) -

[QUOTE="Venom951"]I have 75 Mbps and 25 upload and I still lag it's just Xbox Jaysonguy

No it's not

The latency of your signal is what matters when it comes to online gaming, that's it.

That's 100% on your ISP oh wait I have to explain what that means too, that means Internet Service Provider.

In other words if you have a bad connection you need to speak to who Mom and Dad get their internet service from and have them fix it.

Waiting for the guy with satellite internet to come in and ask why his gaming sessions are laggy..........

I have satellite.. why do I lag? hehe. Actually I do have satellite internet, and it's obviously why it lags.. just latency. Sucks but no other option where I live.
#7 Posted by Blueresident87 (5655 posts) -

Games lag regardless of internet speed. It happens; big reason why I quit playing online games.

#8 Posted by penpusher (3573 posts) -

[QUOTE="Venom951"]I have 75 Mbps and 25 upload and I still lag it's just Xbox Jaysonguy

No it's not

Dude this might be a stunner for you, but not everyone is an expert on the subject of internet technology. It's not simple "basic knowledge", atrithmatic is basic knowledge, but knowing how the tech behind how the net works isnt, just the same as knowing how an internal combustion engine works isn't basic knowledge even though nearly everyone uses a car.

How about when someone comes to ask about something that they don't know about, but are hoping someone else will, you don't be such a jerk to them? If it were something genuinely stupid then yeah fair enough, but you're being a bit out of order :)

#9 Posted by destinhpark (4831 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="Venom951"]I have 75 Mbps and 25 upload and I still lag it's just Xbox penpusher

No it's not

Dude this might be a stunner for you, but not everyone is an expert on the subject of internet technology. It's not simple "basic knowledge", atrithmatic is basic knowledge, but knowing how the tech behind how the net works isnt, just the same as knowing how an internal combustion engine works isn't basic knowledge even though nearly everyone uses a car.

How about when someone comes to ask about something that they don't know about, but are hoping someone else will, you don't be such a jerk to them? If it were something genuinely stupid then yeah fair enough, but you're being a bit out of order :)

wow, that was intense

#10 Posted by buccomatic (1941 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="Venom951"]I have 75 Mbps and 25 upload and I still lag it's just Xbox penpusher

No it's not

+1
#11 Posted by Gen007 (11006 posts) -

yeah your internet speed is really just one piece of a larger puzzle. Actually gaming isnt really that demanding when it comes to down speeds and is really only requires high upload speeds if you are hosting games. You have to realize that no matter how fast your internet is there are all sorts of network devices that this information has to travel through + not everyone has good internet. Youre only as strong as your weakest link applies here.

#12 Posted by Recon19D3 (25 posts) -

Why does everyone always assume the speed of your internet determines the lag of game?  It's only a small piece of the network, important yet, but it won't determine your gaming performance online by only it's speed.

#13 Posted by mariokart64fan (20531 posts) -

just because your internet is fast doesnt really guarantee no lag, cause it depends on other players and how far they are , ,     i can play any match and see no lag what so ever when its a bunch of people from the us but when  i play some one from aus,  theres always lag on their end 

#14 Posted by JoeGamer1234 (68 posts) -

The latency is based on not just one persons connection but everyone's. Just because you have awesome upload/download doesn't mean you're immune to lag. I have 30 over 10 and I still catch lag from time to time. It all truly depends on what you're playing. If you're playing Call of Duty for instance, well... that would explain everything.

Avatar image for GulliversTravel
#15 Posted by GulliversTravel (3062 posts) -
Latency is what causes lag and that is something that is due to your distance from your peers. Nothing you can do but hope that the supercomputers connecting worldwide networks improve over time.
#16 Posted by KHAndAnime (17565 posts) -
Gaming on the 360 online is laggy because it's Peer-to-peer. Which means that instead of having a localized server that specializes in making sure everyone has a smooth game experience, everyone is communicating with a random player in the game. P2P is better with fewer players.