I hate to say it but I am an achievement guy

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Joeynintendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Joeynintendo
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I used to game strictly for fun, but with the price of games now a days it's like the achievements equate to the price of the game. How could I possibly think of selling a game that I haven't collected all the achievements for? I have like 30 xbox 360 games and haven't perfected a single one. It's not that I haven't come close. I have two games that I need an achievement each to finish them completely. All I know is I need more people like me in my gaming life to perfect them all. I have the orange box and know that unless I found willing participants to help me that game will never be finished completely. I also need gears 1 and we know how often people play that game who don't mod like **** crazy. What about L4D 1 & 2? I've tried to get that 4 vs 4 achievement forever but people keep leaving the match before I can achieve it. It's almost to the point where boosting achievements is the only way to achieve them. I have tons of games that need achievements. Now I know someone will read this and say earn them yourself. I agree. I agree because I've tried. Let me guess your next comment is you haven't tried hard enough. Well I need your help. Happy now? This post has been brought to you by nine glasses of wine. -JoeyNintendo
Burnt_Brains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Burnt_Brains
Member since 2011 • 187 Posts

Blog?

Avatar image for deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
Member since 2006 • 6013 Posts

I like to earn achievements but have completed only 2 games (Oblivion and Darksiders).

I always try, and if I can't I can't...

callgirlduty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 callgirlduty
Member since 2011 • 60 Posts
I just don't have the time for achievements, not sure I would do them even if i had the time.
kingrich06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 110

#5 kingrich06
Member since 2006 • 5403 Posts
i've been like that or 3 years now. Enjoying it every minute.
Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#6 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

I try for achievements, and I make sure I check them out before I start playing to try my best not to miss them. However, if there is some ridiculous achievement that's going to take a ton of time, I am perfectly fine with skipping it. It's all about opportunity cost...

BigGhost_AJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 BigGhost_AJT
Member since 2004 • 928 Posts

I like achievements. I'll go out of my way to earn the ones that seem fun and not overly complicated. I think they add something to my enjoyment of the game...and pad my gamerscore whatever that's worth.

BFKZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 BFKZ
Member since 2004 • 1728 Posts
I do all achievements, we're in this together lol...I like full bars thats all. sick isn't it ?
Mega_Hurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mega_Hurt
I love achievements but I refuse to be the guy who tries to boost 10,000 kills.
Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

i do it too yea i can just play the games but achievements give me something to do mid way or after i finish. it's called achievement whoring

soapman72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 soapman72
Member since 2010 • 2714 Posts

I have a lot of games so the gamerscore adds up... 25000 and rising :)

ASunGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ASunGod
Member since 2011 • 48 Posts

I love achievement hunting. It's fun, and gives games replay value in my opinion.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

I try for achievements, and I make sure I check them out before I start playing to try my best not to miss them. However, if there is some ridiculous achievement that's going to take a ton of time, I am perfectly fine with skipping it. It's all about opportunity cost...

Samslayer
This. Every word. Once you get burned a couple times trying for a long achievement and not getting it, you realize it isn't worth it.
Avatar image for ChristopherRage
ChristopherRage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 ChristopherRage
Member since 2007 • 490 Posts
[QUOTE="firefox59"][QUOTE="Samslayer"]

This. Every word. Once you get burned a couple times trying for a long achievement and not getting it, you realize it isn't worth it.

Unfortunately, some of us never learn lol. I love achievements too much, it's like an addiction.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I've kind of overcome my trophy/achievement addiction. At first I was really obsessed with them, but now I haven't even bothered looking at them. I suppose I shouldn't feel guilty about it, I mean play games for fun, right? Yet every once in a while I still think about them...

DJSAV_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DJSAV_101
Member since 2008 • 3701 Posts

I use to care about achievements about a year ago. Now I don't really care for them anymore. I've also stopped buying so many games.

Stuffed_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Stuffed_Monkey
Member since 2007 • 1436 Posts

I'm starting to become more of an achievement guy because I'd like to get the most out of a game I buy, but only if I truly enjoy it.

Lanezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Lanezy
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts

I've kind of overcome my trophy/achievement addiction. At first I was really obsessed with them, but now I haven't even bothered looking at them. I suppose I shouldn't feel guilty about it, I mean play games for fun, right? Yet every once in a while I still think about them...

Vari3ty

I'm in the same boat, my friend.

I was the guy who would kill all 200 pigeons in GTA IV or carry the lawn gnome through Half-Life 2: Episode 2. Doing such things certainly added more I got out of the game, however, it wasn't always fun. It became more like a job or a chore, which is when I realized this needed to stop. And I'm not the guy who did it to pad my gamerscore; it was about trying to achieve 100% in a game. Unfortunately that did include boosting. Again, I don't do this anymore.

Nowadays I still get more achievements than most people, but that's because I play a game thoroughly and actually finish the single player portion on a game like Call of Duty.

Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jurassic85
Member since 2010 • 2191 Posts

[QUOTE="Samslayer"]

firefox59

I second this. After you spend too much time trying to get an achievement you realize that you could have just been playing games for fun. I have too many responsibilities to spend my leisure gaming time being frustrated. I tried teaming up with people from the Black Ops board to get the Shangri-La easter egg, and we worked at it forever. After a while I deleted them because the process had become more frustrating that fun. I could care less at this point, gaming shouldn't feel like time wasted.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 firefox59

[QUOTE="firefox59"][QUOTE="Samslayer"]

Jurassic85

I second this. After you spend too much time trying to get an achievement you realize that you could have just been playing games for fun. I have too many responsibilities to spend my leisure gaming time being frustrated. I tried teaming up with people from the Black Ops board to get the Shangri-La easter egg, and we worked at it forever. After a while I deleted them because the process had become more frustrating that fun. I could care less at this point, gaming shouldn't feel like time wasted.

Well said. I do occasionally have to ask myself that, "Is this a waste of time". Even if it might be anymore, I say screw it and play something else.
Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jurassic85
Member since 2010 • 2191 Posts
Exactly! I spent close to an hour one day trying to get the "If They Came To Hear Me Bed" achievement in Halo: Reach. Finally I just realized I could have been playing online for an hour instead of watching videos/guides and failing over and over again for 25 gamerscore. If you play long enough your gamerscore will increase anyway. Besides how often to you spend looking through people's achievements and being impressed by them? I'm never impressed by my friends in game achievements, and its not like you get Microsoft points or anything by earning them. To me, achievments are just a great way of personally looking back on what you've done. Even when I get a stressful achievement, I just look back on it and remember how annoying it was to get. So what's the point?
Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts

I like going for achievements simply because I like feeling like I 100%'d a game.

The most outrageous thing I recently did for an achievement for driving every car in L.A. Noire

Avatar image for WreckinMachineX
WreckinMachineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 WreckinMachineX
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

I don't always achievement hunt. But when I do, I 100%.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 firefox59
Exactly! I spent close to an hour one day trying to get the "If They Came To Hear Me Bed" achievement in Halo: Reach. Finally I just realized I could have been playing online for an hour instead of watching videos/guides and failing over and over again for 25 gamerscore. If you play long enough your gamerscore will increase anyway. Besides how often to you spend looking through people's achievements and being impressed by them? I'm never impressed by my friends in game achievements, and its not like you get Microsoft points or anything by earning them. To me, achievments are just a great way of personally looking back on what you've done. Even when I get a stressful achievement, I just look back on it and remember how annoying it was to get. So what's the point?Jurassic85
It's funny you mentioned that Reach cheevy, cause I almost quit at the hour mark as well and then three minutes later I got it. It just depends I suppose.
HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

I only try maxing out my GS for games that I really really like.

I've maxed Reach 3x now, 4 achievements left now that Anniversary is out:x

Halo, GTA, Battlefield, Left 4 Dead. those are the only games I try and get achievements for.

Avatar image for WreckinMachineX
WreckinMachineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 WreckinMachineX
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

I feel like I have to go for all the achievements in games like Call Of Duty. I pay $60 or 5 hours of campaign, might as well get another couple of hours out of it going for achievements.

KiwiDiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 KiwiDiv

I like achievements/trophies although i don't spend too much time on them.....whats boosting?