I can't connect with my friends on Xbox Live, Please Help!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MaxMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MaxMoney
Member since 2005 • 350 Posts
Everytime my friends and I want to play online XBL (any game ex. COD 4, Halo 3) we can't connect with each other. We are still able to play perfectly fine on XBL, we can connect with other random strangers but we can't play with each other. It won't let us join each others party or join private chats. In order to connect with my friends now, I have to go to the main upstairs computer in my house and switch the ethernet cord from out of my router to a direct link to the modem. After that, I can connect with my friends and play with almost no problems (occasional lag-out or two). I have a suspicion that me and my two close local friends have some kind of conflicting connection issue which is very frustrating and annoying because this has been happening for quite a while now. But it is just not only them that I can't play with, there are other people that live around me I can't connect to, it's a very random on and off situation. I highly doubt that it's an issue of being unable to connect with people in my area and more of a router/modem issue but I'm not sure. I think having to switch the cords on my computer upstairs is completely unnecessary and I shouldn't have to create a direct link just to play XBL with two friends. Especially because when i do that, it disconnects the internet from all other computers in the house and just gives me XBL. My Dad needs the computer for E-mail for work so it limits my time online significantly. My NAT is open and always has been open, same goes for my friends. I've tried researching this before and found information on opening ports, that didn't really work (maybe i did it wrong) but either way I'm not interested in that. Does anybody know what I should do or does this happen to a lot of people and it is just unfix-able right now? Maybe I just need to upgrade my Router or call my service provider for a new Modem. Thanks in adv.
ratchet3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ratchet3
Member since 2004 • 7883 Posts
It's you NAT. Call M$ and they will help you with it by phone.
MaxMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MaxMoney
Bump
Fxdm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#4 Fxdm
Member since 2005 • 94 Posts

Yeah, do a Network test on your 360 and see what your NAT Type is... OPEN is the most compatible, then comes MODERATE, then comes STRICT (you don't really want strict). If yours is set to OPEN, then it's probably your friends' NAT Types that need to be changed. I'm not really sure how you change your NAT Type (you do something on your router) but that's most likely what the problem is.

*EDIT - My bad, I didn't read your whole post... The type's just so small...

Aaron89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Aaron89
Member since 2003 • 3377 Posts

Seems to me that the problem is beyond just configuring your router settings and/or setup, since both you and your friends have Open NAT's. Quite awhile ago I was having the same problem as you, and the only solution I found was to upgrade my router's firmware. I'm not sure of the exact reason it fixed the issue - but ever since then, connecting is a breeze to any/everyone.

If you need more info on upgrading your router's firmware, just ask. Good Luck.

EDIT: You may want to check here if your router or firmware is listed on the compatibility page. If either the router or firmware isn't listed, it still means it will work (usually), it's just not "certified" XBL Compatible.

MaxMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MaxMoney
Yeh, sorry about the small type. I might try to call M$, but I've called there before and they were not very helpfull...
demonslayer228

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 demonslayer228
Member since 2008 • 174 Posts
I think you should buy a wireless adopter that connects to the internet
MaxMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MaxMoney
The Router I'm using is a D-Link DI-604 which is Xbox Live compatible, thanks AARON for posting that link. Unfortunatley it doesn't look like there is a way I can update my Router's firmware...
fallenlasciel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 fallenlasciel
Member since 2008 • 182 Posts
You need a better connection, try getting wireless adapter or getting an intercooler, I heard they help.
satec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 satec
Member since 2003 • 140 Posts

Make sure your 360's IP address is static and then set that address as the DMZ on your router which should permanently open all your ports. Make sure you turn off all port-forwarding too.

Ignore the moron who suggested an intercooler or wifi adapter, neither will help at all.

MaxMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MaxMoney
Yeh, thanks man... but everytime I try to open my ports nothing happens or I just end up screwing up my Internet. I tried the DMZ thing... I went to portforward.com and tried my best to follow the instructions but it was complicated, maybe i should get a professional to come in but thats pretty extreme.
DarKAngeL676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DarKAngeL676
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I've read everyones solutions and I might consider them but I also have the same problem. Just like madMoney I can connect to other random people but anyone that lives near me is unable to connect. So I think it does have something to do with locality.
JEEBUS_BOGONDO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JEEBUS_BOGONDO
Member since 2006 • 556 Posts
It happens to me too, its called NAT. If you call microsoft they will give you a number that once you input it onto your router youll have a dedecated spot, youll probably have to call the manufacturer of the router tho its kind of complicated. for now tho just goto the dashboard and do a network test and keep doing it until it says 'open' on the NAT section, if it says moderate then youre still having problemos
JEEBUS_BOGONDO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JEEBUS_BOGONDO
I've read everyones solutions and I might consider them but I also have the same problem. Just like madMoney I can connect to other random people but anyone that lives near me is unable to connect. So I think it does have something to do with locality.DarKAngeL676
nope, its the NAT.
Aaron89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Aaron89
Member since 2003 • 3377 Posts

[QUOTE="DarKAngeL676"]I've read everyones solutions and I might consider them but I also have the same problem. Just like madMoney I can connect to other random people but anyone that lives near me is unable to connect. So I think it does have something to do with locality.JEEBUS_BOGONDO
nope, its the NAT.

So explain "My NAT is open and always has been open, same goes for my friends." in the original post. BTW, this is an extremely old thread.

JEEBUS_BOGONDO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JEEBUS_BOGONDO
Yeh, sorry about the small type. I might try to call M$, but I've called there before and they were not very helpfull...MaxMoney
Yea all that outsourcing means you call microsoft and sometimes get some moron from pakistan that never graduated 3rd grade and his only skill is operating and maintaining an AK47. Just call again until you get someone from north america, microsoft will give you the code to put into the router and yes, it is complicated, but if you call the manufacturer of the router they can help you do this. A quick fix is still to test your connection on the dashboard until your NAT is open. Dont listen to the retards talking about wifi and intercoolers. Intercoolers??? WTF?!
JEEBUS_BOGONDO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JEEBUS_BOGONDO

[QUOTE="JEEBUS_BOGONDO"][QUOTE="DarKAngeL676"]I've read everyones solutions and I might consider them but I also have the same problem. Just like madMoney I can connect to other random people but anyone that lives near me is unable to connect. So I think it does have something to do with locality.Aaron89

nope, its the NAT.

If its specific friends you cant connect with its the NAT. And just because his other friends say itsope, doesnt mean it is. Also sometimes from the time you test your connection to the time you sign back in, the damn thing closes again. As far as locality, I dont see any connection unless you are in a small town with a crappy provider maybe? Other than that the only other explaination would have to be the router blocking certain people from accessing you, or in other words the NAT.

So explain "My NAT is open and always has been open, same goes for my friends." in the original post. BTW, this is an extremely old thread.